Impressive Image Quality, Amazing Zoom Power
A host of convenient features make the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder a smart choice, even for parents new to videography. You can record up to six hours of video to the 16GB internal flash drive or to a convenient removable SD memory card. Revel in the flexibility and range of the camcorder's 57x Advanced Zoom, which helps you capture distant subjects without intruding on the scene. Image quality remains smooth, clear and steady thanks to a SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer. Even keeping faraway subjects in the frame is easy with Zoom Framing Assist, now available in both Auto and Manual modes. A Highlight Priority Mode helps give your video the rich range of color seen by the naked eye. The camcorder is as convenient as it is fun to use, with a LCD screen that's brightly visible even outdoors in the sun and a redesigned user interface that makes it easy to shoot, navigate menus and view videos with large simple icons in a streamlined layout. Whether you're recording family vacations or your baby's first steps, the VIXIA HF R70 achieves image quality that's worthy of your precious memories
- 57x (32.5-1853mm) Advanced Zoom and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer helps provide outstanding, steady video
- Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures video at 1920 x 1080 resolution and helps provide outstanding imaging performance
- Record up to 6 hours of video to a 16GB internal flash drive or directly to a removable SD memory card
- 1080/60p recording in MP4 (35 Mbps) and AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps) helps ensure high-quality capture of moving subjects
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos
- Compatibility with optional Camera Pan Table CT-V1 enables you to remotely pan the camcorder from a compatible smart device via Wi-Fi?
- Dual Recording allows you to simultaneously record movies in MP4 and AVCHD format
- Built-in downconversion creates MP4 files for easy sharing on the web
- 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD with increased brightness and new User Interface for easy menu navigation and simple viewing of videos
- Zoom Framing Assist setting is available in Auto or Manual mode, making it easier to accurately track and capture subjects while they are moving
- Advanced Baby Mode selects the optimal camcorder settings to help capture your baby?s daily growth with ease
- High-capacity BP-727 battery pack helps facilitate extended shooting time so you can capture important moments
- Compatibility with the Canon Connect Station CS100 device enables you to wirelessly transfer images and videos for storage via NFC and Wi-Fi connectivity
- Live Streaming allows users to record and view live video on your compatible device and even control your camcorder from a remote location
- File Lock Function helps to safeguard against mistakenly deleting files from the camcorder
- Slow & Fast Motion recording allows you to record fast motion at up to 1200x and slow motion at 0.5x
- CameraWindow software is available as a downloadable application for fast and easy transferring and viewing of images and videos
- Highlight Priority Mode helps to deliver an expansive range of colors and tones virtually consistent with how they?re seen by the naked eye
57x Advanced Zoom
You won't miss any of the action when shooting video with the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder and its impressive 57x Advanced Zoom range. Long-range shooting allows you to create videos with dynamic variety, and is less likely to disrupt the action you're shooting. It's ideal for formal ceremonies, animals in the wild, candid family videos and more. Available in manual mode, Advanced Zoom takes the camcorder's telephoto power from 32.5mm all the way to 1853mm (35mm equivalent) for amazing flexibility in shooting. For more convenient shooting and better creative control over your videos, the camcorder offers continually variable Zoom Speed settings with 15 levels available.
SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization
Canon's sophisticated SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake quickly, so even handheld video taken at long focal lengths is sharp and steady. Providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths, the Dynamic Image Stabilization system on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake - horizontal, vertical and roll axis ? helps ensure smooth, virtually distortion-free video, even when you're walking while shooting.
Canon 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder is equipped with a 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor to capture your memories in true 1920 x 1080 resolution. Canon's advanced, high-resolution HD CMOS Image Sensor features extra sensitivity that delivers beautifully lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light. On-chip noise reduction brings bright clarity to every frame. Video is rich, clear and amazingly detailed anywhere you view it, even when played back on a large HDTV.
DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder incorporates the powerful DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor for outstanding imaging performance. The DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures more light, for brighter, virtually noise-free images even in dark scenes. Dramatically increased processing power lets you record in both AVCHD and easy-to-share MP4 formats simultaneously with the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder's Dual Recording. It also enables built-in transcoding from AVCHD to MP4.
16GB Internal Flash Drive
The camcorder's internal 16GB Flash Drive holds up to 6 hours of crisp, high-definition video safely and securely. With no moving parts, flash memory technology is able to withstand most camcorder jolts or drops. You can also record to a removable SD memory card, making it easy to share your video with friends and family. Conveniently sized and readily available, SD cards give you up to 64GB (24 hours) of recording capacity for a combined capacity of 80GB or 30 hours. For added flexibility, you can even backup your video directly to an external hard drive by using the optional UA-100 USB Adapter.
1080/60p Recording in MP4 (35 Mbps) and AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps)
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder gives you high-quality recording whether you're capturing MP4 or AVCHD files. 1080/60p recording captures twice the amount of information as 60i, and with images captured at a rate of up to 60 frames per second, diagonal noise is virtually eliminated so even fast-moving subjects show up crisply with motion and patterns clearly recorded. This greater sense of detail and faithful rendering of moving edges, plus enhanced color and fine tonal gradation, helps you take advantage of all that Full HD has to offer. AVCHD Progressive records at a bit rate of up to 28 Mbps, which is the highest in the AVCHD standard, and MP4 files are captured at a bit rate of up to 35 Mbps, so regardless of the format you're shooting or viewing, image quality is incredibly high.
Built in Wi-Fi
Built-in Wi-Fi technology on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder lets you share your HD video with friends and family virtually when you want, virtually where you want. Connect with compatible home networks, wireless hotspots and iOS mobile devices using the free Canon Movie Uploader app*. Videos and photos can be easily shared over the internet with CANON iMAGE GATEWAY** - a free online photo storage service that lets you upload to social networking sites. And now you can use your PC to browse remotely through the previously shot videos stored on your camcorder, without connecting a cable***. The Remote Browse function uses a standard Web browser and does not require a special app.
NFC (Near Field Communication) Support
Wireless connection between the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder and your NFC-equipped smartphone can be seamless with Canon's free CameraAccess plus app. With the app installed, you can simply touch the camcorder to your compatible smartphone**** to transfer video and images or live stream events as they happen. You can even control the camcorder remotely, monitoring infants while they sleep, or keeping an eye on pets or home security from the office.
*This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software. Compatible with iOS version 5/6/7 or later for select devices. MP4 60p and AVCHD recordings are not supported for this function.
**One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photo album.
***Compatible with iOS version 5/6 or later and Android version 4.0 or later for select devices. AVCHD recording is not supported for this function. On iOS devices, MP4 60p recording is not supported; only the playback function is available.
****Compatible with Android devices versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4.
Compatible with Optional Camera Pan Table
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder is compatible with an exciting optional accessory that you can control with your compatible mobile device* - Camera Pan Table CT-V1. With your Wi-Fi? enabled camcorder mounted on the Camera Pan Table CT-V1, you can remotely monitor a viewing range of approximately 200 degrees with your compatible smart device**. Using the Live Streaming of the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder, panning and recording can be powered by the pan table, or controlled remotely over the internet and the CameraAccess plus app. Flexibly designed to plug into an outlet or run on AA batteries, it also powers your camcorder. An energy-efficient stand-by mode awaits your command so you don't need to worry about wasting or running out of power too quickly. With enough range to span two rooms, it's easy to check on pets or children while you're away for the day, monitor your home while you're on vacation and more.
* There is no guarantee that the operations will work with all Wi-Fi environments.
** Compatible with iOS version 7/8/9 or Android version 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1 for select devices. Operations not guaranteed with all versions of the supported OS. MP4 35 Mbps and AVCHD 28 Mbps recordings are not supported for this function.
Dual Recording helps ensure that you'll have the right format available for the video you want to record. Using the power of the DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder can simultaneously record video to internal memory in AVCHD format, and to an SD card in MP4 format*. The widely used MP4 format provides quick, conversion-free playback on compatible tablets and smartphones, and lets you upload videos directly to social networking sites for easy sharing with friends, family and the world. AVCHD is ideal for watching videos on an HDTV or archiving them to Blu-ray discs.
*Simultaneous recording is not supported when using MP4 (35 Mbps), AVCHD Progressive (28 Mbps), Baby Mode or Cinema-Look Filters.
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder has a built-in downconversion function that helps make it easy to share your video online. For example, if the file happens to be too big to send, you can reduce the resolution of your videos while minimizing distortion to help ensure your family and friends will be able to watch them with virtually no loss in quality. The VIXIA HF R70 also features a built-in transcoding function that converts AVCHD files to MP4s, making them easy to upload to the Web or save to an SD card for expanded sharing options.
3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder features a 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen that's bright and clearly visible, even outdoors in the sun, with rich, natural color reproduction. Simply open the panel and the power is on. A gentle touch activates intuitive functions via large, easy-to-use icons in a streamlined new layout. Choose a focal point, track moving subjects, control exposure for selected areas and operate camcorder controls from the screen, all with a simple touch. The easy new user interface makes navigating menus, shooting and watching your videos easy and fun. Clear explanations for key settings pop up when selecting shooting modes and recording formats, so even new videographers can feel confident as they create impressive videos.
Zoom Framing Assist
The versatile 57x zoom on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder is indispensable for shooting long distance subjects without intruding onto the scene or interrupting the action. But sometimes it can be tricky to keep such a distant subject in the frame. That's where Zoom Framing Assist comes in. When you're shooting at the long end of the zoom and you've lost your subject, simply press an icon on the touch screen and the zoom magnification will automatically decrease, making it easy for you to locate the subject and zoom in on it again. Now available in Auto or Manual mode, Zoom Framing Assist helps keep your subject in the frame.
Advanced Baby Mode
A convenient solution for capturing, tracking, organizing and sharing every precious moment of your baby's development, Baby Mode on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder allows you to follow the growth of up to three children. A custom control button on the shooting screen activates the mode, and suitable settings for the shooting conditions, including Intelligent IS and more, are automatically selected. Simply pick up the camcorder and start recording, knowing capture will be of high quality. Videos shot in Baby Mode are automatically saved into a dedicated Baby Album so they won't get lost among your other videos. You can then view the Baby Album chronologically for a seamless way to relive and share your baby's growth with friends and relatives.
When you're shooting in Baby Mode, the camcorder's Pre-Record (Pre REC) function is always on. This places the camcorder in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode, where it continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too, so it's easy to capture the baby's "firsts" and other special moments.
Touch Decoration in Baby Mode includes stamps to mark each video with your baby's current height and weight. And with a single registration of the baby's birth date, the camcorder will automatically calculate the number of days old and stamp videos accordingly, creating a diary of developmental milestones for years to come. Thanks to the number of decorations available on the VIXIA HF R70, it's easy to make a fun video commemorating your baby's special moments. The camcorder's other Touch Decoration options, including your own drawings, captions, animations and more, are fully available in Baby Mode, and all can easily be appended to previously shot video as well.
High-capacity BP-727 Battery Pack
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder is powered by a high capacity Battery Pack BP-727. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery not only lets you shoot for long periods, but features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time for extra insurance that you won't miss an important shooting opportunity.
Compatible with the Canon Connect Station CS100
The VIXIA HF R70 camcorder is fully compatible with Canon's photo and video storage device: the Canon Connect Station CS100. By simply tapping with NFC, photos and videos are wirelessly transferred to the Connect Station CS100 device where 1TB of hard drive space (has the capacity for approximately 150,000 photos or approximately 70 hours of video content)* and simple menus make them easy to store, manage and sort by albums, date or device name. From there, images and videos can be viewed in Full HD on an HDTV (via an HDMI cable), sent to compatible wireless printers, viewed/uploaded/downloaded on compatible smartphones and tablets or PCs, and shared with other Connect Station CS100 devices.
*Calculated with approx. 6.6MB for each photo and with average 32 Mbps Full HD video.
Stream video from your camcorder where you like ? at home, at the office or away on vacation ? with Live Streaming on the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder. It is possible to receive the live video and sound that your camcorder is recording from a remote location on your compatible iOS or Android device not only when you're on the same wireless network but over the internet too! With the new CameraAccess plus app*, you can use your smartphone or tablet to monitor babies and pets, capture wildlife videos remotely without disturbing the scene, create beautiful self-videos and lots more, anywhere you're wirelessly connected. You can also remotely control camcorder functions including start/stop and zoom, and even access information about remaining battery charge, recordable time, zoom position and more.
*Compatible with iOS version 7/8/9 or Android version 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1 for select devices. Operations not guaranteed with all versions of the supported OS. MP4 35 Mbps and AVCHD 28 Mbps recordings are not supported for this function.
File Lock Function
With one simple setting, you can keep your videos safe from accidental operational errors. The File Lock function disables deletion, dividing, trimming, copying, MP4 conversion and thumbnail changes with a touch, giving you peace of mind when children or others use your camcorder.
Slow and Fast Motion Recording
You'll have fun using the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder's Slow & Fast Motion capabilities. You can record slow motion images at speeds down to 0.5x - a great feature for checking out your tennis swing, or creating videos with cinema-like expression. Fast motion now tops out at an amazing 1200x (recording 20 hours of action as a 1-minute scene), for eye-popping action movie-like effects.
CameraWindow software is available as a downloadable application. The software can make it easy to import MP4 and JPEG files from your VIXIA camcorder to a PC or Mac, where they can be shared and edited.
Highlight Priority Mode
To capture highly saturated, realistic colors and to convey gradation characteristics as perceived by the eye, the VIXIA HF R70 camcorder has a new Highlight Priority mode that achieves effects similar to HDR modes in other camcorders. By reducing the mid- to high-brightness compression of the standard gamma mode, the Highlight Priority mode helps to prevent loss of detail in high brightness areas. Designed for display on a bright LCD TV, videos captured in Highlight Priority mode should be shown at a high brightness setting to help ensure accurate portrayal of the effect.
- Standard Definition or High Definition: High Definition
- Television System: NTSC
- Recording Format: AVCHD / MP4
- Video Recording System: AVCHD/MPEG-4
- Image Sensor: 1/4.85-inch CMOS, RGB Primary Color Filter
- Total Pixels: Approx. 3.28 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels Video: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Effective Pixels Photo: Approx. 2.07 Megapixels (1920 x 1080)
- Lens Zoom Ratio: 57x Advanced / 32x Optical / 1140x Digital
- Lens Focal Length: 2.8-89.6mm
- Lens 35mm Film Equivalent: Optical Zoom: Approx. 38.5?1232mm; Advanced Zoom Off: Approx. 38.5?1232mm; Advanced Zoom On: Approx. 32.5?1853mm
- Lens Zoom Speed: Variable / 3 Fixed Zoom Speeds
- Lens Max. F/Stop: f/1.8-4.5
- Focusing System: TTL (Through The Lens
- Manual Exposure: Available
- Programmed AE: Smart AUTO, P, SCN, High-brightness priority, Cinema Mode, Baby Mode
- Max Shutter Speed: Movie: 1/2000 sec.; Still Image: 1/500 sec.
- Minimum Focusing Auto Mode: 10mm (AF linkage: WIDE end), 1m in intermediate zoom range, approx. 50 cm at TELE end
- Minimum Focusing Distance All Other Modes: 10mm (WIDE end), 1m across entire zooming range (from edge of lens). However, approx. 50cm at tele macro setting established at this time (automatic movement to TELE end)
- White Balance: Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Custon WB
- Frame Rate AVCHD: 60i/PF30/60P
- Frame Rate MP4: 60P/30P/24P
- Minimum Illumination P Mode: Approx. 5 lux
- Minimum Illumination Low Light Mode: Approx. 0.4 lux
- Optical System (lens shift) + Electronic Stabilization Intelligent IS in Auto/Baby Mode: Dynamic IS (default), Powered IS, Macro IS, Tripod Mode
- IS Modes other than Intelligent IS; Dynamic IS and Powered IS settings can be made manually in P/High-brightness priority/SCN/Cinema Mode:: Standard IS, IS Off
- Filter Diameter: 43mm
- Viewfinder: Not Available
- LCD Screen: 3.0-inch Capacitive Touch Panel Widescreen Color (Approx. 230,000 dots)
- Recording Media: Built-in 16GB memory and 1 additional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot
- 60P (NTSC)/50P (PAL) Recording: Memory cards of class 6 or higher For both AVCHD and MP4, Class 4 or higher-speed memory cards are recommended in the high-image-quality and full-HD standard modes.
- Slow & Fast Motion at 0.5x Speed: Memory cards of class 6 or higher Any class of card may be used for photo shooting.
- USB Terminal: mini-B: Hi-Speed USB Supported
- Video Terminal: Composite (output)
- Audo: AVCHD: Dolby Digital (2ch); MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (2ch); Sampling Frequency: 48 KHz
- Accessory Shoe: Not Available
- Supplied Video Editing Software: Not Available
- HDMI Terminal: Available; Mini Connector (output only)
- Microphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-jack
- A/V Mini Terminal/Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm diameter 4-pole mini-jack (video/audio output only)
- Operating Temperature Range: 23 degrees to 113 degrees F (-5 degrees to 45 degrees C) 60% relative humidity (operation); 32 degrees to 104 degrees F (0 degrees to 40 degrees C) 85% relative humidity (performance)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 2.1 x 2.3 x 4.6 in. / 53 x 58 x 116mm (Not including grip belt)
- Weight: Approx. 8.5 oz. / 240g (Body, not including grip belt); Approx. 10.9 oz. / 310g (Including Battery BP-727, memory card, grip belt)