Get a faster startup and help protect against threats with multi-level device security.
Finish key tasks faster with a printer that starts right away and helps conserve energy. Multi-level device security helps protect from threats. Original HP Toner cartridges with JetIntelligence and this printer produce more high-quality pages.
Accelerate your work and use less energy
- Don't wait for documents. Print your first page in as few as 8.5 seconds from energy-efficient sleep mode.
- This printer leads its class in low energy use - thanks to its innovative design and toner technology.
- Speed through jobs on a variety of media. Print two-sided documents almost as quickly as one.
- Now almost 30% smaller - this printer fits in tight places and delivers quiet operation.
Unparalleled fleet security and management
- Embedded features detect security threats and heal your printer, protecting it from boot up to shutdown.
- Protect sensitive data stored on the printer and in transit, using embedded and optional security features.
- Protect sensitive business data with embedded and optional HP JetAdvantage Security Solutions.
- Centralize control of your print environment with HP Web Jetadmin - and help build business efficiency.
More pages, performance, and protection
- Produce sharp text, bold blacks, and crisp graphics with precision black toner.
- Get more. Original HP Toner with JetIntelligence delivers more pages per cartridge than predecessors.
- Help ensure the Original HP quality you paid for with anti-fraud and cartridge authentication technology.
- Print right away with a preinstalled toner cartridge. Replace it with an optional high-yield cartridge.
Stay connected with secure mobile printing options
- Enable 128-bit encrypted wireless direct printing from mobile devices - without accessing the network.
- Print with just a touch of your NFC-enabled mobile device to this printer - no network needed.
- Easily access, print, and share resources with Ethernet and optional wireless networking.
- Protect your investment with HP Care Pack. Let our HP certified engineers resolve all your technical issues.
First page out (ready) black
- As fast as 5.9 sec; As fast as 11.3 sec (100 V)
- Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
- 300 dpi, 600 dpi, HP FastRes 1200, HP ProRes 1200
Monthly duty cycle
- Up to 150,000 pages
Recommended monthly page volume
- 2000 to 7500
- 4.3-in color touchscreen
- 1.2 Ghz
Number of print cartridges
- 1 (black)
- HP 87A Black Original LaserJet Toner Cartridge (Approx. 9000 pages) CF287A
- HP 87X Black Original LaserJet Toner Cartridge ( Appox. 18,000 pages) CF287X
Compatible ink types
- Pigment-based (black and color)
- HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5 (HP PCL 5 driver available from the Web only), HP postscript level 3 emulation, native PDF printing (v 1.7)
Automatic paper sensor
Paper trays, standard
Paper trays, maximum
Mobile Printing Capability
- HP ePrint; Apple AirPrint; Mopria-certified; Wireless direct printing; NFC touch-to-print
- Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port; built-in Fast Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-Tx, Gigabit Ethernet 1000Base-T
- HP Jetdirect 3000w NFC/Wireless Accessory J8030A, HP Jetdirect 2900nw Print Server J8031A
- Standard (built-in Gigabit Ethernet)
- 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 device port; 2 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 host ports; built-in Fast Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-Tx, Gigabit ethernet 1000Base-T;1 Wireless 802.11 b/g/n; 1 NFC
- Management security: SNMPv3, SSL/TLS, WPA2-Enterprise, 802.1X authentication (EAP- PEAP, EAP-TLS), IPP over TLS, IPsec/Firewall with Certificate, Pre-Shared Key Authentication, and Kerberos Authentication; Support for WJA-10 IPsec Configuration using IPsec Plug-in
Minimum system requirements
- Windows XP SP3 all 32-bit editions (XP Home, XP Pro, etc), Windows Vista all 32-bit editions (Home Basic, Premium, Professional, etc), Windows 7 all 32- & 64-bit editions, Windows 8/8.1 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets), Windows 10 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets); CD-ROM or DVD drive, or Internet connection; Dedicated USB or network connection or Wireless connection; 200 MB available hard disk space; OS compatible hardware
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite; Internet; USB; 1 GB available hard disk; OS compatible hardware
Compatible operating systems
- Windows OS compatible with In-Box Driver: Windows XP SP3 all 32-bit editions (XP Home, XP Pro, etc), Windows Vista all 32-bit editions (Home Basic, Premium, Professional, etc), Windows 7 all 32- & 64-bit editions, Windows 8/8.1 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets), Windows 10 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets); Windows OS compatible with Universal Print Driver (HP website): Windows XP SP3 32- & 64-bit editions (XP Home, XP Pro, etc), Windows Vista all 32- & 64-bit editions (Home Basic, Premium, Professional, etc), Windows 7 all 32- & 64-bit editions, Windows 8/8.1 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets), Windows 10 all 32- & 64-bit editions (excluding RT OS for Tablets)
- Mac OS (HP Print Drivers available from website and Apple Store): OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.10 Yosemite; Mobile OS (In-OS drivers): iOS, Android, Windows 8/8.1/10 RT; Linux OS (In-OS HPLIP): SUSE Linux (12.2, 12.3, 13.1), Fedora (17, 18, 19, 20), Linux Mint (13, 14, 15, 16, 17), Boss (3.0, 5.0), Ubuntu (10.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10), Debian (6.0.x, 7.x); Other OS: UNIX
- 512 MB
- 1.5 GB
- Printer Management; Printer Administrator Resource Kit (Driver Configuration Utility, Driver Deployment Utility, Managed Printing Administrator); HP Web JetAdmin Software; HP Proxy Agent Software; HP JetAdvantage Security Manager
Supported network protocols
- IPv4/IPv6: Apple Bonjour Compatible (Mac OS 10.2.4 or higher), SNMPv1/v2c/v3, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, TFTP, Port 9100, LPD, WS Discovery, IPP, Secure-IPP, IPsec/Firewall; IPv6: DHCPv6, MLDv1, ICMPv6; IPv4: Auto-IP, SLP, Telnet, IGMPv2, BOOTP/DHCP, WINS, IP Direct Mode, WS Print; Other: NetWare NDS, Bindery, NDPS, ePrint; Google Cloud Print 2.0
- Optional, 500 GB minimum encrypted hard disk drive
Paper handling input, standard
- 100-sheet multipurpose Tray 1, 550-sheet input Trays 2 and 3, automatic duplex printing
Paper handling output, standard
- 250-sheet output bin
- Automatic (standard)
Finished output handling
Media sizes supported
- Tray 1: A4, A5, A6, B5, 16k, 10 x 15 cm, post cards (JIS single and double), envelopes (DL, C5, C6, B5); Tray 2: A4, A5, B5, 16k, double postcard; Optional trays 3+: A4, B5, 16k, double postcard; Optional Automatic Duplexer: A4
Media sizes, custom
- Tray 1: 3 x 5 to 8.5 x 14 in; 550-sheet input Tray 2: 4.1 x 5.8 to 8.5 x 14 in; optional 550-sheet input Tray 3+: 4.1 x 5.8 to 8.5 x 14 in
- Paper (bond, color, letterhead, plain, preprinted, prepunched, recycled, rough); envelopes; labels; cardstock; transparencies; user-defined
Supported media weight
- Tray 1: 16 to 53 lb; tray 2+: 16 to 32 lb
Media weights by paper path
- Tray 1: 60 to 199 g/m2; Tray 2+: 60 to 120 g/m2
- Input voltage: 100 to 127 VAC, 60 Hz; Input voltage: 200 to 240 VAC, 50 Hz (Not dual voltage, power supply varies by part number with #option code identifier)
Print speed, black (normal)
- Up to 45 ppm
- 741.98 watts (Active Printing), 13.72 watts (Ready), 2.51 watts (Sleep), 0.08 watts (Auto-Off), 0.08 watts (Off)
- ENERGY STAR certified; Blue Angel; CECP; EPEAT
Operating temperature range
- 59 to 90.5 deg. F
Operating humidity range
- 30 to 70% RH
Dimensions (W X D X H)
- 16.46 x 14.80 x 18.94 in
Dimensions Maximum (W X D X H)
- 16.46 x 25.16 x 18.94 in
- 34.9 lb
Cable Not Included
- Please purchase USB cable separately
- One-year, next-business day, onsite warranty. Warranty and support options vary by product, country and local legal requirements
- Windows OS: HP Software Installer/Uninstaller, HP PCL 6 Printer Driver, HP Device Experience (DXP), HP Update, Product Registration Assist, HP Web Services Assist (HP Connected), Online user manuals
- Mac OS: Welcome Screen (Directs users to website or OS App Source for LaserJet Software)
- FCC Class A emissions - for use in commercial environments, not residential environments