A go-to lens for nearly any situation
With the Vibration Reduction (VR) equipped AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR on your DX-format DSLR, you'll be ready for anything. Part of Nikon's new "P" series of lenses, it uses a pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors) for ultra-fast, near silent autofocus and two Aspherical lens elements for outstanding optical performance. Capture wide landscapes and group photos one moment, then tight portraits, family sporting events and smooth HD video the next-all with phenomenal clarity and precision. VR image stabilization enhances your camera's low-light capabilities and keeps your videos steady. Compact, lightweight and extremely versatile, this lens will be your gateway to better photography.
- Aspherical Lens: A lens with a curved, non-spherical surface. Used to reduce aberrations and enable a more compact lens size. Aspherical lenses minimize coma and other types of lens aberrations, even when used at the widest aperture. They are particularly useful in correcting distortion in wide-angle lenses and help contribute to a lighter, more compact design by reducing the number of standard (spherical) elements necessary. Aspherical lens elements correct these distortions by continuously changing the refractive index from the center of the lens.
- M/A: Select NIKKOR lenses have a focusing mode which allows switching from automatic to manual focusing with virtually no lag time by simply turning the focusing ring on the lens. This makes it possible to seamlessly switch to fine manual focusing while looking through the viewfinder.
- Super Integrated Coating: Nikon Super Integrated Coating is Nikon's term for its multilayer coating of the optical elements in NIKKOR lenses.
- Vibration Reduction: A Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel.
- Pulse Motor: Nikon's "P" series of NIKKOR lenses use a pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors) to focus smoother and quieter than previous drive systems. This quiet drive system makes the lenses ideal for use when shooting video.
Compact, lightweight all-around lens
This is a lens you'll take everywhere. Its 3.1x zoom range covers the highly versatile 18-55mm focal length range, great for everything from wide group shots and landscapes to family sports and portraits, even in dim lighting. A retractable barrel keeps the lens extremely compact, and its sleek, lightweight design perfectly complements Nikon's latest DX-format DSLRs. Shoot beautiful photos and HD videos with ease.
Outstanding Nikon image quality
Unleash the potential of your camera's high-resolution sensor. The AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR features the superb optics and advanced technology used on Nikon's high-end lenses. Two Aspherical lens elements achieve superior optical performance, giving your photos and videos rich, vibrant colors, deep contrast, minimal distortion and beautiful soft backgrounds, even in less than ideal conditions.
Sharp photos, steady videos
VR image stabilization
Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) technology offsets the shakiness of handheld shooting for sharper photos and steady videos. In low-light situations, VR lets the camera use a slower shutter speed* to capture sharp photos-without blur. VR image stabilization gives you the benefits of a tripod without any extra gear. Switch between Autofocus and Manual Focus or turn VR on and off using the camera menu**. With no switches on the lens barrel, you have no chance of accidentally changing settings when you want to take the shot.
*Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when DX-format compatible lenses are attached to a DX-format digital SLR camera and zoom lenses are set at the maximum telephoto position.
**The lens will default to VR on when attached to models released prior to the D3400: D3300, D3200, D3100, D5500, D5300, D5200, D7200, D7100, D7000. These cameras will also require a firmware upgrade to access the menu to turn off the VR.
Smooth, fast autofocus
Nikon's Pulse Motor
Nikon's new "P" series of NIKKOR lenses use a pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors) to focus smoother and quieter than previous drive systems. Bring subjects into focus instantly with absolute precision. When recording video, smoothly shift focus from subject to subject with practically no drive noise.
- Compact, lightweight go-to lens for nearly any shooting situation
- Versatile 18-55mm zoom range ideal for wide-angle shots, portraits, fast action, HD video and much more
- Ultra-fast, near silent autofocus powered by a pulse motor (utilizing stepping motors)
- Two Aspherical glass elements provide outstanding optical performance
- VR image stabilization ensures sharp photos, steady videos and enhanced low-light capabilities
- Nikon F-Bayonet
Focal Length Range
- 18 - 55 mm
- 3.1 x
- f/ 3.5-5.6
- f/ 22-38
Maximum Angle of View (DX-format)
- 76 deg.
Minimum Angle of View (DX-format)
- 28 deg. 50'
Maximum Reproduction Ratio
- 0.38 x
Optical Conversion Factor
- FX in DX Crop Mode
VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization
- Lens shift using voice coil motors (VCMs)
Super Integrated Coating
AF-P (Pulse Motor)
Minimum Focus Distance
- 0.9 ft. ( 0.25 m) from focal plane at all zoom positions
- 55 mm
Accepts Filter Type
Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length)
- 2.5 in. (64.5 mm) x 2.4 in. (62.5 mm)
- distance from camera lens mount flange when lens is retracted
- Based on CIPA Guidelines
- 7.3 oz. (205 g)
- Based on CIPA Guidelines