DSC-RX1RM2 - Cyber-Shot RX1R II Professional Compact Camera with 35 mm Sensor
Ultimate Full-Frame Compact - Resolution reaches a higher peak
Full-frame CMOS sensor and fixed-lens design rise to new heights in the RX1R II compact camera with 42.4-megapixel resolution and advanced image processing. Speedy AF, a retractable electronic viewfinder and the world's first optical variable low-pass filter let you see how seamlessly cutting-edge performance and all-around convenience can co-exist.
- Imaging innovation: High-res, full-frame 42.4-megapixel sensor, BIONZ X and ZEISS lens distinguish image detail.
- Speedy, accurate Fast Hybrid AF: Its 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points greatly increase AF speed and coverage.
- First low-pass filter of its kind: Optimize image quality with control of low-pass filter effect according to shooting intention/situation.
- Retractable XGA OLED Tru-Finder: Featuring ZEISS T* Coating, as well as high 0.74x magnification, definition, and contrast.
- Tiltable LCD screen: Tilts up approx. 109 degrees, down approx. 41 degrees, at max to extend shooting angle flexibility.
Superior Image Quality - Startling depth in detail
A 42.4-megapixel back-illuminated 35 mm full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor, advanced BIONZ X image processing engine and fixed-lens design deliver unrivaled resolution and enhanced sensitivity. These technological advances keep images exquisitely detailed, natural, and well exposed all the way from their centers to edges, regardless of shooting conditions.
- Boosting resolution and sensitivity: A back-illuminated 42.4-megapixel full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor with ISO 50-102400, wide dynamic range, low noise and expanded circuit scale with copper wiring for faster data transmission.
- Compact and bright, with fixed focal length: The ZEISS Sonnar T* 35 mm F2 lens maximizes the benefits of high sensor resolution and delivers brilliantly clear images from its center to the peripheral areas.
- More optimal processing performance: The RX1R II's fixed-lens design and improved signal processing optimize the performance of BIONZ X, which is also enhanced to support 14-bit uncompressed RAW format.
Greater AF Speed, Precision and Coverage - Featuring 399 focal plane phase-detection AF points
With advanced phase-detection and contrast-detection capabilities, the Fast Hybrid AF system in the RX1R II provides unconventionally speedy, accurate wide-area autofocus coverage and tracking performance. You will be able to shoot better, clearer stills at every opportunity without missing a single moment.
Wider AF coverage - Faster AF response
399 phase-detection AF points are packed within a large area of the image (providing coverage of nearly half of the entire frame) and AF response is about 30% faster.
Seize the Moment
New AF-C focus mode and up to 5fps continuous shooting capabilities along with AF tracking help to ensure that you can reliably capture more climactic moments.
World's First Optical Variable Low-Pass Filter - Control LPF effect to achieve your intention in a shot
You can choose from three optical variable low-pass filter effect settings: Off (to prioritize image resolution), Hi (to reduce moir? and color artifacts), and Standard (to balance those priorities). Each in its own way takes optimal advantage of the image sensor's 42.4-megapixel resolution to deliver the ultimate image quality according to shooting intention and situation.
Double-Duty LPF Control for Added Effect
How does the RX1R II provide double duty that would otherwise require more than one conventional camera? Splitting of incident light flux  is controlled by varying voltage to the liquid crystal  between low-pass filter 1  and low-pass filter 2  in order to activate, deactivate, and modify low-pass filter effect. LPF bracketing simplifies comparison of LPF effects.
Compact enough to take anywhere, the RX1R II features sleek ergonomic controls, retractable EVF, tiltable LCD screen, and more.
Touch and Share
NFC lets you touch your Android device to your RX1R II to quickly transfer photos/videos via Wi-Fi.
Accessories for Every Need - Professional level options expand potential
Further expand your shooting possibilities and give your photography a professional edge with accessories specially designed for the RX1R II camera.
Higher quality frame in a compact footprint
Great camera capabilities fit better than ever in your palm, with the compact RX1R II. Full-frame format compatibility and other state-of-the-art image sensor and processing innovations ensure breathtaking image quality. The bright fixed focal length lens embodies ZEISS renowned optical integrity.
Higher-resolution full-frame CMOS sensor
The 35 mm full-frame Exmor R CMOS sensor provides for 42.4-megapixel resolution, sensitivity up to ISO 102400, wide dynamic range, and low noise. The back-illuminated structure expands circuitry scale of a new copper wiring layer for 3.5 times faster data readout. The enhancements allow the RX1R II to deliver readout of images, AF response, and continuous shooting capability, all at high speed.
Large-aperture ZEISS Sonnar T* 35 mm F2 lens
The premium-quality ZEISS Sonnar T* 35 mm F2 lens with maximum F2 aperture features a proprietary AA (advanced aspherical) lens element and minimal lens unit movement that allow the lens barrel to be very light and compact. The lens and sensor imaging plane are calibrated to optimize resolution with clarity that's consistent throughout each image.
BIONZ X image processing engine upgraded
BIONZ X processes 42.4 megapixels of data from the 35 mm full-frame CMOS sensor to reproduce fine, realistic detail with noise reduced according to image area characteristics. This allows for fast, faithful depiction of nuanced light and texture. The fixed-lens design of the RX1R II also helps to optimize processing of image information for the lens and the sensor.
Optical variable low-pass filter
LPF effect settings take advantage of the sensor's high 42.4-megapixel resolution to deliver the ultimate image quality for your needs. Choose among Off (to prioritize image resolution), Hi (to reduce moire and color artifacts), or Standard (to balance those priorities) settings to achieve the image character you're aiming for. Low-pass filter bracketing lets you preview effects of various settings.
Speedy, accurate Fast Hybrid AF
399 focal plane phase-detection AF points and 25 contrast-detection AF points make Fast Hybrid AF extra-quick and accurate under all conditions. The system features extensive phase-detection coverage (45% of image area) and 30% faster AF, as well as high tracking performance that assures capability to capture decisive moments.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder with retractable design
The retractable Tru-Finder features 0.74x magnification, an optical system of four glass lens elements including two molded-glass aspherical lenses, corner-to-corner clarity, minimal distortion, anti-reflective ZEISS T* Coating, and brilliant reproduction of recording detail. The EVF can instantly, precisely preview how your settings will affect an image. A separate eyepiece cup is included.
Full HD movie recording and XAVC S format
The RX1R II supports the XAVC S movie recording format, for capturing the quality of Full HD motion picture footage at frame rates of 60p (50p), 30p (25p), or 24p, and at a high bitrate of 50 Mbps. This increases your capability to express your visions in truer images that contain finer details and minimal compression noise, moir?, and jaggies.
Tiltable LCD screen accommodates your eyepoint
The LCD screen is easy to monitor throughout a versatile range of shooting positions. Its 3.0-type WhiteMagic Display, with approx. 1,229k dots including high-luminance white pixels, can be tilted/positioned from 109 degrees up to 41 degrees down at max and ensures excellent visibility in all situations, even outdoors or in other bright environments.
AF-C focus mode/5fps shooting with AF tracking
AF-C (Continuous AF) focus mode enables the RX1R II to track moving subjects while maintaining sharp focus, even when shooting continuously at 5fps, thanks largely to the 399-phase-detection-AF-point system's widespread autofocus coverage throughout a large portion of the image area.
Compatible with multiple aspect ratios
Now, 1:1 and 4:3 join 3:2 and 16:9 as aspect ratios that are supported by the previous model. The 1:1 aspect ratio with 28M (instead of 42M) pixels still gives you adequate expressive capability for later trimming, regardless of whether you intend to trim for vertical or horizontal image orientation.
Supports 14-bit uncompressed RAW format
New compatibility with 14-bit uncompressed RAW format lets you choose the optimal format for your needs. The camera thereby ensures supreme quality of tonal gradation to maximize the benefit of the image sensor's wide dynamic range.
Strong, light magnesium alloy body
The sculpted lightweight metal body conveys strong, solid assurance for shooting in all circumstances. Every component has been meticulously refined to enhance precision and ease of operation, and designed to function flawlessly and reliably in the long run.
Automatic Eye AF
The RX1R II employs Eye AF that automatically detects and tracks the eye of a moving subject, for more framing freedom. Eye AF is available even in AF-C focus mode.
Wi-Fi/NFC for fast, simple sharing
With Wi-Fi built into the RX1R II, you can easily transfer a photo or MP4 movie to your smartphone or tablet, then upload it to your favorite SNS (social networking site). NFC (Near Field Communication) even simplifies establishing a connection between the camera and device when using a NFC-enabled smartphone or tablet.
More precise white balance adjustment
The RX1R II offers more white balance adjustment steps (twice as many on the amber-blue axis; four times as many on the green-magenta axis) than the RX1R, so you can finely tune white balance with more subtle precision for more natural colors.
Intuitive, versatile dial operation
Settings are easy to adjust while framing a subject as you look through the viewfinder. Rotate lens barrel rings with your left hand to control the aperture or activate macro mode, and fine-tune focus. Select a focus mode with the front-mounted dial. A right hand can operate top-mounted mode dial, exposure compensation dial, custom button, AEL button etc.
Macro mode for sharp extra-close-up shooting
Rotate the macro switch ring to activate macro mode and shorten the minimum subject-to-image-sensor focusing distance to 7.9". Minimal lens unit protrusion ensures shooting comfort. You can even take advantage of Direct Manual Focus (DMF), MF Assist, the Peaking function as well as use the XGA OLED Tru-Finder etc. while engaged in macro shooting.
Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S
In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, without missing a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
1200-zone Evaluative Metering
High-precision metering by an advanced evaluative metering sensor with 1,200 zones ensures balanced exposures in wide-ranging lighting conditions. You have a choice of Multi Pattern, Center-Weighted, or Spot metering mode.
ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed
Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
D-range Optimizer (DRO)
In difficult lighting, DRO corrects your images to achieve smoother, more natural gradations with more detail in the highlights and shadows. You can use it during continuous shooting and when photographing moving subjects.
Auto HDR (High Dynamic Range)
Auto HDR integrates the best details from three exposures to expand the dynamic range of your images from darkest shadows to brightest highlights and capture all the tonal gradations seen by your naked eye.
Creative Style settings bring out the character of your scene. Simply select any of 13 settings (Vivid, Portrait, etc.) and the camera will adjust image parameters. You can also fine-tune contrast, saturation, and sharpness to suit your preference.
One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually.
Focus Magnifier & Peaking function
You can clearly magnify the image to simplify manual fine-tuning of the focus whether shooting still images or movies. The Peaking function can also be activated to colorize the most sharply focused areas of your image for quick confirmation.
Multi Frame NR (Noise Reduction)
This mode combines four shots' best details to significantly suppress noise and raise sensitivity, letting you clearly capture dark scenes without a tripod or flash. Camera shake blur is also lowered while contrast and detail are raised.
Supported in Capture One Express (for Sony) One of the world's best RAW converters by Phase One
Capture One Express (for Sony) is one of the world's best RAW converters, rendering precise colors and incredible detail. It contains flexible digital asset management, all the essential adjustment tools and fast, responsive performance in one customizable and integrated solution.
- Sensor Type: 35 mm full frame (35.9 x 24.0 mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Gross): Approx. 43.6 MP
- Number of Pixels (Effective): Approx. 42.4 MP
- Lens Type: ZEISS Sonnar T*, 8 elements in 7 groups (3 aspherical elements including AA lens)
- Max. Magnification (Standard/Macro): 0.15x/0.26x (By Macro Switching Ring)
- F-number (Maximum Aperture): F2
- Aperture Type: Iris diaphragm (9 blades)
- Focal Length (f=): f=35 mm: [Still image 3:2] f=35 mm, [Still image 16:9] f=37 mm, [Still image 1:1] f=44 mm, [Still image 4:3] f=38 mm,[Movie 16:9] f=44 mm (SteadyShot On), f=37 mm (SteadyShot Off)
- Focus Range (From the Front to the Lens): Approx. 24 cm to infinity (Normal mode), approx. 14 cm to 29 cm (Macro mode)
- Focus Range (From the Focal Plane): Approx. 30 cm to infinity (Normal mode), approx. 20 cm to 35 cm (Macro mode)
- Optical Variable Low-Pass Filter: Yes
- Clear Image Zoom: [Still Image] 2x, [Movie] 2x
- Digital Zoom: [Still Image] 42M approx. 4x/18M approx. 6.2x/11M approx. 8x, [Movie] Approx. 4x
- Filter Diameter: 1.93 in
- Screen Type: 2.95" (3.0 type) (4:3) / 1,228,800 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control: Auto/Manual (5 steps)/Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle: Up approx. 109 degrees, down approx. 41 degrees, at max.
- Display Selector (Finder/LCD): Auto / EVF / Monitor
- MS Assist Magnification: 5.0x, 12.5x
- Screen Type/Number of Dots: 0.39-type electronic viewfinder (OLED), 2,359,296 dots
- Brightness Control: Auto, Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage: 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 0.74x (with 50 mm lens equiv. at infinity, -1m-1)
- Eye Point: Approx. 19 mm from the eyepiece lens, 18.4 mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (CIPA standard)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Steadyshot: Electronic type (for movies)
- Focus Type: Fast Hybrid AF (phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode: Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual Focus
- Focus Area: Wide (399 points for phase-detection AF/25 points for contrast-detection AF) / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) / Expand Flexible Spot / Lock-on AF (Wide / Center / Flexible Spot [S/M/L] / Expand Flexible Spot)
- Metering Type: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Light Metering Mode: Multi Pattern / Center-Weighted / Spot
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps), with exposure compensation dial: +/-3.0 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- ISO Sensitivity (Still Image): ISO 100-25600 (1/3 EV step) (expandable to ISO 50/64/80/32000/40000/51200/64000/80000/102400), AUTO (ISO 100-102400, selectable upper/lower limit), Multi-Frame NR: ISO 100-102400 (1 EV step), AUTO (ISO 100-102400, selectable upper/lower limit) 1
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie): ISO 100-25600 equivalent (1/3 EV step), AUTO (ISO 100-25600 equivalent, selectable upper/lower limit)
- White Balance Modes: Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor.: Warm White / Fluor.: Cool White / Fluor.: Day White / Fluor.: Daylight / Flash / C.Temp. / Filter / Custom
- WB Micro Adjustment: Yes (G7 to M7 [57 steps], A7 to B7 [29 steps])
- Shutter Speed: Program Auto (30"-1/4000* s) / Aperture Priority (30"-1/4000* s) / Shutter Priority (30"-1/4000* s) / Manual Exposure (Bulb, 30"-1/4000* s) / iAuto (4"-1/4000* s) *At F5.6 or greater aperture value. Fastest limit at F2 is 1/2000 s
- Aperture: F2-22
- Raw Output: 14 bit
- Uncompressed RAW: Yes
- Image Control: Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness, Creative Style, Color Space (sRGB/Adobe RGB), Quality (RAW/RAW & JPEG/Extra fine/Fine/Standard)
- Noise Reduction: Long exposure NR: On/Off, available of shutter speeds longer than 1 s, High ISO NR: Normal / Low / Off, Multi Frame NR: Auto / ISO 100-102400
- Dynamic Range Functions: Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto/Level 1-5), Auto High Dynamic Range: Off, Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference level (1.0-6.0 EV, 1.0 EV step)
- Shooting Mode: AUTO (Intelligent Auto/Superior Auto), Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure, MR (Memory Recall) 1,2,3, Movie Mode (Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Speed Priority, Manual Exposure), Panorama, Scene Selection
- Scene Selection: Portrait, Sports Action, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, Night Portrait, Anti-Motion Blur
- Continuous Shooting Speed (Maximum) (Maximum Number of Recording Pixels): Speed priority continuous shooting: approx. 5fps, Continuous shooting: approx. 2.5fps (AF-S)
- Self-Timer: 10 s/5 s/2 s/3 or 5 consecutive shots with 10 s, 5 s, or 2 s delay selectable/Bracketing shots with 10 s, 5 s, or 2 s delay selectable
- Drive Modes: Single, Continuous shooting, Speed priority continuous shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer (cont.), Cont.-bracketing, Single-bracketing, White balance bracketing, DRO bracketing, LPF bracketing
- Picture Effect: [Still Image] Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono., Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Richtone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration, [Movie] Toy camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono.
- Creative Style: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box
- Number of Recognized Scenes: [Still Image] Superior Auto: 44, Intelligent Auto: 33, [Movie] 33
- Flash Mode: Flash Off / Autoflash / Fill-flash / Slow Sync. / Rear Sync. / Wireless (with optional compliant flash)
- Compatible Recording Media: Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro (Mark 2), SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, microSD Memory Card, microSDHC Memory Card, microSDXC Memory Card
- Recording Format: [Still Image]: JPEG (DCF Ver.2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format), [Movie]: XAVC S, AVCHD format Ver. 2.0 compatible, MP4
- Recording Format (Movie Audio): XAVC S: LPCM 2ch/AVCHD: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2ch (Dolby Digital Stereo Creator)/MP4: MPEG-4 AAC-LC 2ch
- Color Space (Still): sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Number of Recording Pixels (Image Size): [3:2] L: 42M (7,952 x 5,304) / M: 18M (5,168 x 3,448) / S: 11M (3,984 x 2,656), [4:3] L: 38M (7,072 x 5,304) / M: 16M (4,592 x 3,448) / S: 9.4M (3,536 x 2,656), [16:9] L: 36M (7,952 x 4,472) / M: 15M (5,168 x 2,912) / S: 8.9M (3,984 x 2,240), [1:1] L: 28M (5,296 x 5,296) / M: 12M (3,440 x 3,440) / S: 7.1M (2,656 x 2,656), [Sweep Panorama] Standard (3,872 x 2,160/8,192 x 1,856) / Wide (5,536 x 2,160/12,416 x 1,856)
- Movie Recording Mode (NTSC): AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/60i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/24p), XAVC S HD: 60p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/60p) / 30p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/30p) / 24p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/24p) / 120p 50M (1,280 x 720/120p), MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/60p)/16M (1,920 x 1,080/30p)/6M (1,280 x 720/30p)
- Movie Recording Mode (PAL): AVCHD: 28M PS (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/50i) / 24M FX (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 17M FH (1,920 x 1,080/25p), XAVC S HD: 50p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 25p 50M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 100p 50M (1,280 x 720/100p), MP4: 28M (1,920 x 1,080/50p) / 16M (1,920 x 1,080/25p) / 6M (1,280 x 720/25p)
- Print: Exif Print, PRINT Image Matching (PIM3)
- Input and Output Terminals: Multi/Micro USB Terminal, Micro HDMI, Microphone (1/8" Stereo minijack), Multi Interface Shoe
- NFC: NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible, One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Wi-Fi: Yes (IEEE802.11b/g/n [2.4 GHz band])
- Power Source: DC3.6 V (supplied battery) / DC5.0 V (supplied AC Adapter)
- Battery System: Rechargeable Battery Pack NP-BX1
- Power Consumption (Camera Mode): Approx. 2.5W with LCD monitor and approx. 2.7W with viewfinder (CIPA standard)
- USB Charge/USB Power Supply: Yes (supplied AC adapter)
- Battery Life (CIPA, Still Images): [Still Images]: Monitor: Approx. 220 shots / Approx. 110 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 200 shots / Approx. 100 min., [Movies (actual shooting)]: Monitor: Approx. 30 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 30 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4 GB.), [Movies (continuous shooting)]: Monitor: Approx. 50 min., Viewfinder: Approx. 50 min. (In [MP4 28M] mode, max. continuous shooting time is approx. 20 min. and max. file size is 4 GB.)
- PlayMemories Camera Apps: Yes
- Shooting Functions: Smart Teleconverter (approx. 1.4x/2x) / Eye AF / Lock-on AF / Face Detection / Face Registration / Smile shutter / Grid Line / Quick Navi / Digital Level Gauge (pitch and roll) / Exposure Bracketing / White Balance Bracketing / DRO Bracketing / Flash Bracketing / LPF bracketing / MF Assist / Peaking / Zebra / Marker Display / Photographer Name & Copyright / ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed / PC Remote Control / Auto Object Framing
- Playback Functions: BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI) / Single (with or without shooting information, RGB histogram & highlight/shadow warning) / 9/25-frame index view / Enlarged display mode / Auto Orientation / Slideshow / Panorama scrolling / Auto Review (10 s/5 s/2 s/off) / Forward / Rewind (Movie) / Delete / Protect / 4K still image playback
- Operating Temperature: Approx. 0 degrees C to 40 degrees C (32 degrees F to 104 degrees F)
Size & Weight
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.46" x 2.57" x 2.83" (113.3 x 65.4 x 72.0 mm)
- Weight (CIPA Compliant): 1 lb 0.9 oz (480 g)/1 lb 1.9 oz (507g) (With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo)