New AF-tracking rapid continuous shooting. Reveal worlds unknown.
Experience ingenuity perfected through Sony's latest camera innovations: newly developed high-speed high-precision Hybrid Phase Detection AF, AF/AE tracking in 12fps continuous shooting, body-integrated 5-axis image stabilization, and advanced 4K movie functions.
Sony's translucent mirror realizes proprietary AF system
Translucent Mirror Technology enables the Hybrid Phase Detection AF System consisting of two AF sensors. The dedicated 79-point AF sensor provides high-precision focusing and depth detection, while the 399-point focal-plane AF sensor on the image sensor supplies wider coverage. During continuous shooting at up to 12fps, AF tracking captures motion once nearly invisible to human eyes.
79 Hybrid Cross AF points for quick precise focus
79-point Hybrid Cross AF effectively captures your subject. While 79 AF points of the dedicated phase-detection AF sensor are for horizontal detection, 399 AF points of focal-plane phase-detection AF sensor handle vertical detection. Moreover, the focal-plane phase-detection AF sensor coverage area includes the dedicated phase-detection AF sensor area so 79 superimposed points function as selectable Hybrid Cross AF points. Cross measurement reduces influence from the subject pattern, so you have fast, precise focusing for just about any type of subject. Moreover, the very central AF point also functions as an F2.8-sensitive sensor that supports lenses as bright as a minimum F-value of 2.8 or lower.
- 79-point AF sensor with 15 cross points - 15 cross AF points in the dedicated phase-detection sensor check precise focus and depth.
- 399-point focal-plane phase-detection AF sensor - Focal-plane AF with world's most AF points unites wider coverage and accurate detection.
- 79 Hybrid Cross AF points - Hybrid Cross measurement gives you fast AF with about any type of subject.
Fast continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking
The camera provides improved processing speed and a shutter mechanism to attain an unprecedented continuous shooting speed of up to 12fps (up to 8fps in live-view shooting) with AF/AE tracking.
Stunning high resolution
a99 II features a 35 mm full-frame 42.4-megapixel back-illuminated CMOS sensor that delivers high-resolution image while providing high sensitivity, minimized noise, and wide dynamic range. Its wide standard ISO range 100-25600 is expandable to even wider ISO 50-102400.
Boosted CMOS sensor resolution and sensitivity
Light-collection efficiency is enhanced by a back-illuminated image sensor with AR coating and gapless on-chip lens design that realizes uniform light penetration regardless of lens center or peripheral areas.
Optical 5-axis image stabilization - As effective as using 4.5-step faster shutter speed
Shooting should be as steady as possible to minimize the negative effect of camera shake blur. So, a99 II high resolution is optimized with body-integrated 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization, fine-tuned to match its 42.4-megapixel performance. You can zoom in on faraway subjects, shoot close-ups, and take night scenes with nearly shake-free clarity in stills and movies.
4K high-resolution movies for A-mount users
Show your imagination in a99 II 4K movie recording, as the back-illuminated full-frame image sensor transforms your vision into reality. You'll achieve expanded expressive power in 4K resolution when shooting in the full-frame 4K format of the sensor. And you can capture stunning high resolution when shooting in Super 35 mm size frame due to full pixel readout without pixel binning.
Ample features for greater ease and reliability
You'll appreciate new a99 II ergonomics. The redesigned body is 8% smaller than the a99, thanks to the re-examination of the internal layout and the reduced size of the 5-axis image stabilization system. Meticulous attention has been paid to the smallest details, so the new camera provides excellent operability and reliable body rigidity in addition to downsized body dimensions.
- Lens Compatibility: Sony A-mount lenses, operation with Minolta/Konica Minolta lenses confirmed
- Lens Mount: Sony A-mount
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective): Approx. 42.4 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (Total): Approx. 43.6 megapixels
- Type: 35 mm full frame (35.9x24.0mm), Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Anti-Dust System: Yes
- Location Information Link From Smartphone: Yes
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro (M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant), Micro SD memory card, Micro SDHC memory card, Micro SDXC memory card
- Memory Card Slot: SLOT1: Multi-slot for Memory Stick PRO Duo and SD cards, SLOT2: Slot for SD cards
- Focus Type: TTL Phase-detection AF
- Focus Sensor: Detector 1: CCD line sensors, Detector 2: Focal Plane Phase Detection sensors
- Focus Point: Detection sensor 1: 79 points (15 cross-type points, F2.8- sensitive at the center point), Detection sensor 2: 399 points (323 selectable points, 79 hybrid-cross auto focus points*)* When Hybrid Phase Detection AF is activated
- Focus Sensitivity Range: Detector 1: Center area EV -4 to 18 (at ISO 100 equivalent, with F2.8 lens attached)
- Focus Mode: Single-shot AF (AF-S), Continuous AF (AF-C), Automatic AF (AF-A), Direct Manual Focus, Manual focus
- Focus Area: Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot/Expanded Flexible Spot/Lock-On AF (Wide/Zone/Center/Flexible Spot/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- Other Features: Eye-start AF, Lock-on AF, Eye AF, AF micro adjustment, Predictive control (AF-A, AF-C), Focus lock, AF On
- Metering Type: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor: Exmor R CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity: EV-2 to EV17 (at ISO100 equivalent with F1.4 lens attached)
- Metering Mode: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot (Standard/Large), Entire Screen Avg. Highlight
- Exposure Compensation: +/- 5.0 EV (1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable)
- Exposure Bracketing: Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1.0 EV increments.
- AE Lock: Available with AE lock button. AE is also locked when focus is locked in multi-segment metering mode. (AEL w/shutter (Auto/On/Off) is supported)
- Exposure Modes: AUTO (iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Memory recall (MR1/2/3), Sweep Panorama, Movie/slow-motion and quick-motion (Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A) /Shutter-speed priority (S) /Manual (M) selectable)
- ISO Sensitivity: Still images: ISO 100-25600 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Movies: ISO 100-25600 equivalent, AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Anti-Flicker Shoot: Yes
- Viewfinder Type: 0.51 inch (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder, XGA OLED
- Number of Dots: 2,359,296 dots
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder): Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Color Temperature Control: Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage: 100%
- Magnification: approx. 0.78 x (with 50mm lens at infinity, -3.28 feetstyle name="sup"-1/style)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0 to +3.0 m-1
- Eye Point: Approx. 0.9 inches from the eyepiece lens, 0.72 inches from the eyepiece frame at -3.28 feetstyle name="sup"-1/style(CIPA Standard)
- Display Contents: Graphic Display / Display All Info. / No Disp. Info. / Digital level gauge / Histogram
- Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed: PAL mode: Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps) up to 1/50 in AUTO mode (up to 1/25 in Auto slow shutter mode), NTSC mode: Still images:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/8000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps) up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync Speed: 1/250 sec.
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter: Yes (ON/OFF)
- Type: Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation
- Compensation Effect: 4.5 steps (based on CIPA Standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With SAL 135F18Z lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.)
- Drive Modes: Single Shooting, Continuous shooting (Hi+/Hi/Mid/Lo selectable), Self-timer (10/5/2 sec delay selectable), Self-timer (Cont.) (with 10/5/2 sec delay 3/5 frames selectable), Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, White Balance bracket, DRO bracket
- Continuous Drive Speed (Approx. Max.): Continuous shooting: Hi+: 12 fps, Hi: 8 fps, Mid: 6 fps, Lo: 4 fps
- Number of Recordable Frames (Approx.): [Continuous shooting: Hi+] Extra fine: 60 images/Fine: 63 images/Standard: 64 images/RAW & JPEG: 54 images/RAW: 54 images/RAW (Uncompressed) & JPEG: 24 images/RAW (Uncompressed): 25 images, [Continuous shooting: Hi] Extra fine: 65 images/Fine: 71 images/Sta
- PC Interface: Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal: Yes
- NFC: Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible) One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Wireless LAN (Built-in): Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz band), View on Smartphone, Send to Computer, View on TV
- Bluetooth: Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4GHz band))
- HD Output: HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync (Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD, 4K movie output/4K still image PB
- Multi Interface Shoe: Yes
- Mic Terminal: Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- DC In Terminal: Yes
- Sync Terminal: Yes
- Remote Control (Wired): Yes
- Remote Control (Wireless): Yes (Wi-Fi, infrared)
- Headphone Terminal: Yes (3.5 mm Stereo minijack)
- Vertical Grip Connector: Yes
- PC Remote: Yes
- Microphone: Built-in stereo microphone or XLR-K2M/XLR-K1M/ECM-XYST1M (sold separately)
- Speaker: Built-in, monaural
- Supplied Battery: One rechargeable battery pack NP-FM500H
- Battery Life (Still Images): Approx. 390 shots (Viewfinder) /approx. 490 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA Standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, Actual Recording): (CIPA Standard), Approx. 85 min (Viewfinder) /Approx. 85 min (LCD monitor)
- Battery Life (Movie, Continuous Recording): (CIPA Standard), Approx. 135 min (Viewfinder) /Approx. 135 min (LCD monitor)
- External Power: AC Adaptor AC-PW10AM (sold separately)
Size & Weight
- Weight (With Battery & Memory Stick Pro Duo Included): Approx. 1 lb 13.9 oz; (approx. 849g)
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 5 5/8 inches x 4 1/8 inches x 3 inches; (approx. 142.6 mm x 104.2 mm x 76.1 mm)