The AG-HPX170 is an ultra-mobile P2 HD handheld camcorder featuring full, 4:2:2 independent frame production quality HD and solid-state recording. Based on the AG-HVX200 series, the lighter HPX170 is fully solid state (no DV mechanism), and comes with a host of enhancements including a new 1/3" progressive 3-CCD imager system, wider Leica Dicomar 13X lens, an HD-SDI interface, metadata input and management, and a 5-year limited warranty (with registration).
Wide Choices in 1080i, 720p, 480i Recording
The HPX170 has two P2 card slots and records in 20 HD and SD formats - from 1080i, 1080p, 720p to 480i. Its newly enhanced 1/3" progressive 16:9 3-CCD imager delivers an excellent signal-to-noise ratio, lower noise/smear, and exceptional low-light performance. High-end features like Dynamic Range Stretch (DRS) which allows for better control over highlights and shadows in run and gun situations. The digital signal processor with 14-bit A/D conversion and 19-bit processing assure high-quality recordings necessary for top-level production and broadcast. Because the HPX170 scans the initial image at a 1080p/60 and all camera processing happens at his level. Because of this images maintain the highest quality possible up to the final conversion for compression and recording.
Wider Angle 13X Leica Dicomar Zoom Lens
Utilizing a powerful 13X Leica Dicomar zoom lens, the HPX170 offers a wide 28mm (35mm equivalent) viewing angle, covering most shooting situations without the need for a wide-angle conversion lens. It also features an Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) function that ensures stable images during hand-held shooting.
Variable Frame Rates for Fast- or Slow-Motion Effects
Like the HVX200A handheld, the HPX170 offers variable frame rate capability, providing professionals with the cinematic expression of higher-end cameras like the Panasonic VariCam AJ-HDC27. Select from any of 20 steps, between 12 and 60, for undercranking/overcranking for fast or slow-motion effects.
Reliable Solid-State P2 Recording
The HPX170 is ideal for professionals looking to take full advantage of the reliability and flexibility of the fast, file-based P2 workflow. P2 HD products have no moving parts, unlike tape, hard disk drive, or disc-based systems. It provides instant random access to recorded HD or SD content; and operates reliably in harsh environments, with resistance to temperature extremes, shock and vibration.
Using 32GB P2 cards in the HPX170's two card slots, you can record up to 160 minutes in full frame DVCPRO HD formats, 128 minutes in DVCPRO50, 256 minutes in DVCPRO. Recording times double with the use of a 64GB P2 card.
The HPX170 comes standard with the following items (in the United States only): AJ-P2C0016RG 16GB P2 card, The HVX and HPX Book by Barry Green, 5400mA battery (140 minutes), AC adapter/battery charger, accessory mic holder, component video cable with RCA-BNC adapters, remote control, shoulder strap and instruction manual.
- HD/SD-SDI output for serial digital playout or live output of uncompressed audio/video signals
- Enhanced metadata management feature saves details, like names or titles, onto the recorded clip
- Additional Neutral Density filters, 1/4, 1/16, 1/64
- 20 variable frame rate steps include: 12, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 40, 44, 48, 54, 60
- Built-in waveform monitor and vectorscope as well as three advanced focus assist functions (2X center zoom, histogram and focus bar display)
- Dynamic Range Stretch in 60i/60p HD replaces News Gamma
- Enhanced user buttons that allow you to delete the last clip, pre-record, select P2 card slots or go into variable frame rates with the touch of the button
- 6-pin Firewire with locking connection (no power out)
- Dynamic focus ring/manual focus assist (300 degrees/150 degrees rotation) ensures camera reaches the last critical focus point. Iris/focus ring assignment switch enables focus ring to be the iris
- 10X, 5X, 2X Digital Zoom in 1080/60i mode
- Color bars with 1kHz tone
- Camera playback format can be changed without going into menus
- Time/date stamp burn-in for legal and surveillance work
- Improved 3.5-inch LCD screen can also be flipped for use with 35mm adapters
- Intuitive design - most cables face the rear to reduce conflicts; audio connections located in the same place
- Lightweight (4.2lbs), yet durable construction with magnesium aluminum alloy (same as AG-HVX200 series)
- Backed by Panasonic's 5-year limited warranty (must register after purchase)
- Comes standard with a 16GB P2 card and Barry Green's HVX and HPX Book
- Pick-Up Device (size & type): 1/3-inch 3-CCD Progressive
- Picture Elements (pixels) Effective 1.1 million pixels
- Quantization Video: 19bits; Audio: 16 bits/4ch
- Signal Processing: 14bits
- Sensitivity: ISO 500
- Minimum Illumination : 3lux (F1.6, +12dB gain and 1/24 sec. of shutter speed)
- Horizontal Resolution: 650 lines
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9/4:3 Switchable
- Lens: Leica Dicomar lens w/13x zoom, O.I.S., motorized/manual mode switching, F1.6-3.0 (f=3.9mm to 51mm/ 35mm equivalent: 28mm to 368mm)
- ND Filter: 1/4, 1/16, 1/64
- Focus: Manual and Auto
- Media Format: P2 Memory Card
- Recording Format
- DVCPRO HD:
- 1080/60i (30p over 60i, 24p over 60i, 24pA over 60i)
- 720/59.94p (30p over 24p over 60p)
- 720/30PN (Native)
- 720/24PN (Native)
- DVCPRO 50/DVCPRO/DV:
- 480/60i (30p over 60i, 24p over 60i, 24pA over 60i)
- Recording Playback Time:
- Approx. 16 mins. (using one 16GB P2 card, recording in DVCPROHD 1080/60i)
- Approx. 32 mins. (using one 16GB P2 card, recording in DVCPROHD 1080/60i)
- Frame Rates: Variable 12/15/18/20/21/22/24/25/26/27/28/30/32/34/36/40/44/48/54/60 fps (20steps)
- Shutter Speeds (sec.):
- 60i/60p mode:
- (Preset) 1/60 (off), 1/100, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000,1/2000 sec.
- 30p/30pN mode:1/30, 1/50 (off), 1/60, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 sec.
- 24p/24pA/24pN mode:
- 1/24, 1/50 (off), 1/60, 1/120, 1/250, 1/500, 1/1000 sec
- Slow Shutter Speeds (sec.) 60i/60p mode: 1/15, 1/30 sec.
- 30p/30pN mode: 1/15 sec.
- 24p/24pN mode: 1/12 sec. (in 720p mode only)
- Synchro-Scan Shutter (sec.) 60i/60p mode: 1/60.0 sec. to 1/249.8 sec.
- 30p/30pN mode: 1/30.0 sec. to 1/249.8 sec.
- 24p/24pA/24pN mode: 1/24.0 sec. to 1/249.8 sec.
- Assignable Scene Files 6
- Programmable User Buttons Yes
- Filter Wheels 3 Neutral Density
- White Balance Selection A, B, Preset or ATW
- Gain Selection (dB)
- 60i/60p mode: 0/+3/+6/+9/+12/+18 dB
- 30p/30pN/24p/24pA/24pN mode: 0/+3/+6/+9/+12 dB,
- when using slow shutter (1/12 or 1/15), 0dB fixed.
- when using under 23 fps flame rate, 0dB fixed.
- Color Matrix: 4 preset
- SMPTE Color Bar Generator: Yes, 1kHz tone
- Video Connections: HD/SD-SDI out, Analog Component out, Analog Composite out
- Audio Connections: XLR input (3-pin, dual), Line output (pin-jack, 2-ch), Built-in microphone, stereo mini jack, Built-in speaker (20mm)
- Other Connections: IEEE 1394 (6-pin), USB 2.0, Camera remote (2.5mm diameter super mini jack for zoom and rec start/stop; 3.5 mm diameter mini jack for focus and iris)
- SD Memory Card Slot: Yes
- LCD Screen: 3.5-inch color LCD
- Viewfinder: .44-inch color viewfinder
- Power Supply:
- DC 7.2V (with Battery)
- DC 7.9V (with AC adaptor)
- Power Consumption:
- 10.9W (when LCD monitor is not used.)
- 11.7W (when LCD monitor is used.)
- 13.8W (MAX)
- Operating Temperature: 32 degrees F to +104 degrees F (0 degrees C to +40 degrees C)
- Operating Humidity: 10% to 85% (No condensation)
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 7.125'' x 6.125'' x 15.6875''
- Weight: 4.19 lbs