With its stunning picture quality, built-in HDTV tuner, and groundbreaking Digital Cable Ready design, Panasonic's 50" TH-50PX25U is one of the most advanced, future-ready plasmas available, yet it boasts a compact all-in-one design - no outboard tuner/switcher box is needed.
The built-in HDTV tuner receives over-the-air and cable HD programming. The back panel's "CableCARD" slot allows digital cable reception without a set-top box (ask your cable provider for details). Panasonic was the first manufacturer to receive certification from CableLabs for an HDTV set that can receive digital cable TV services directly.
With so many plasma TVs available, from brands both familiar and new, how do you identify the top models? Well, only a handful of companies actually manufacture the plasma "glass" and Panasonic is one of them. Panasonic's plasma know-how makes a huge difference. The TH-50PX25U delivers some of the deepest blacks, highest contrast, and smoothest grayscaling you'll see at any price.
One of the factors that keep some plasmas from accurately displaying the ultra-crisp detail of high-def images is an artifact called "false contouring," where transitions between different shades of the same color are too sharp and abrupt. Panasonic's latest "billion color" panels have 1,536 shades of gradation, to minimize false contouring and create a smooth, natural appearance.
The TH-50PX25U has six A/V inputs, including dual component video inputs and an HDMI digital audio/video input. For regular video sources, you'll find two sets of rear A/V inputs and a set of front inputs (all with S-video) so you can easily connect a camcorder, TiVo recorder, or video game console. There's even a front-panel input for your laptop PC. This TV is a source for great audio, too, with an optical digital output for sending a multichannel Dolby Digital bitstream to your A/V receiver.
- High-Definition TV (receives and decodes HDTV/SDTV signals)
- Built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) tuner (see our HD antennas)
- Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners
- Digital Cable Ready design with CableCARD slot Photo Viewer with SD Card Slot
- Contrast Ratio up to 3000:1
- 160 degrees x 160 degrees Viewing Angles
- HDMI Input
- 1,536 Shades of Gradation
- 1366 x 768 Pixels
- Two-Tuner Picture-in-Picture with Split Screen Display
- Progressive Scan
- New Real Black Drive System
- Gamma Enhancement System
- Mach Band Effect Enhancer
- PC Input with 720p HDTV Display Capability
- Built-in stereo speakers (13 watts x 2)
- BBE/Viva 3D sound enhancement
- Optical digital audio output for Dolby Digital
- Surround Sound
- Artificial Intelligence Sound Control
- Detachable tabletop swivel stand
Screen Size: 50" Diagonal
Resolution: 1366 x 768 Pixels
Contrast Ratio: up to 3000:1
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Built-in Tuners: ATSC/QAM/NTSC
Viewing Angles: 160-Degree
Display Type: HDTV 480p/1080i (720p via PC input only)
RF inputs for antenna/cable: x 2
Audio Input (for Video): x 2 rear, x 1 front
Audio Input (for PC): x 1 front (shared input)
S-Video Input: x 2 rear, x 1 front
Composite Video input: x 2 rear, x 1 front
Component Video Inputs: x 2 rear inputs
Composite Video Output: x 1 rear output
PC Input (RGB-VGA): Mini D-sub 15-pin (front)
Audio Input (for Component Video): 2
Photo Viewer: SD & PC Card Slot
Remote Control: included
Dimensions (H x W x D):
34.3'' x 52.3'' x 5.5''
Weight: 125.7 lbs
Warranty: 1 year parts and labor
* For models with built-in ATSC/QAM/CableCARD: Optional external over-the-air antenna may be required for ATSC reception. Contact your local cable company for information regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services.
** For models without built-in HDTV tuners: Optional HDTV set-top receiver required to view DTV programming. Optional external over-the-air antenna may be required for ATSC reception. If your cable company passes through a network DTV signal unchanged, an optional HDTV set-top receiver can decode and tune the program. However, FCC must-carry regulations for cable DTV pass-through have not been finalized.
** Contact your local cable company for information regarding the availability and costs of CableCARD-related services.