This compact full-frame Carl Zeiss wide-angle zoom lens covers a 16mm to 35mm range with a constant maximum aperture of F4, enabling consistent depth of filed and exposure settings at any focal length. The high-performance optical design boasts ZEISS T* (T-star) coating for superior contrast and resolution, five aspherical elements including a large diameter AA (advanced aspherical) element with outstanding surface precision for low distortion and corner to corner sharpness - even at wide-angles, plus three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements to reduce chromatic aberration to an absolute minimum. The SEL1635Z employs Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, Silent AF and iris (aperture) drive important for movie capture and a 7-blade circular aperture for beautiful defocussed backgrounds. Ideal for Full-Frame and APS-C E-mount cameras.
- ZEISS T* coating delivers superior contrast and resolution
- 5 Aspherical lenses for low distortion and corner sharpness
- Large Advanced Aspherical element for wide-angle performance
- 3 Extra Low Dispersion elements reduce chromatic aberration
- Constant F4 max aperture maintains exposure / depth of field
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization
- Silent AF and iris (aperture) drive ideal for movie capture
- Dust and moisture resistant design for maximum durability (1)
- 7-blade circular aperture for beautiful defocussed backgrounds
- Ideal for Full-Frame and APS-C E-mount cameras
Unmatched ZEISS T* (T-star) coating
Coated optics were pioneered by ZEISS -- and this superb lens features the ZEISS T* (T-Star) coating that virtually eliminates lens flare, internal reflection and light scattering that can otherwise occur at glass-to-air surfaces. The T* coating contributes to outstanding image quality, with high contrast and uniformly excellent resolution right out to the image edges. Not simply applied to any lens-the T* symbol only appears on multi-element lenses in which the required performance has been achieved throughout the entire optical path, therefore guaranteeing the highest quality.
When changing your aperture to defocus the background, the light sources appear blurred. This 'bokeh' effect of the blurred background can be enhanced with circular aperture blades used in this lens. Conventional aperture blades have flat sides creating unappealing polygonal shaped defocussed points of light. Circular aperture overcomes this problem through the use of curved blades that keeps the aperture almost perfectly circular from its wide-open setting to when it is closed.. Smoother, more natural defocusing can be obtained as a result.
Aspherical lens elements
Aspherical lens design dramatically reduces spherical aberration while also reducing lens size and weight. Spherical aberration is a slight misalignment of the light rays projected on the image plane, caused by differences in refraction in conventional spherical lenses which degrade image quality in large-aperture lenses. Specially shaped "aspherical" elements near the diaphragm restore alignment of light rays at the image plane, maintaining high sharpness and contrast even at maximum aperture and can also be used at other points in the optical path to reduce distortion. Well-designed aspherical elements often requires complex glass molding technology, but can reduce the total number of elements required, thus reducing overall size and weight.
ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass
As focal lengths get longer, lenses built with conventional optical glass have difficulties with chromatic aberration, and as a result images suffer from lower contrast, lower color quality, and lower resolution. ED glass dramatically reduces chromatic aberration and provides superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings.
Lens-based Optical SteadyShot image stabilization
Gyro sensors built into the lens detect even the slightest movement, and the stabilization lens is precisely shifted to counteract any image blur that might occur. The use of precision, quiet linear motors and technology inherited from high-end Sony professional camcorders results in exceptionally quiet, effective image stabilization that contributes to high-quality movies as well as stills.
Dust and moisture resistant design (1)
The dust and moisture resistance design makes this lens appropriate for heavy-duty outdoor use, especially when combined with a camera that employs weather resistant measures such as the Sony's a7 series of cameras.
Only the middle groups of the optical system move to achieve focus, so the overall length of the lens does not change when focusing. Other important benefits include fast autofocusing and a short minimum focusing distance. Also, the filter thread at the front of the lens does not rotate, which is convenient when using a polarizing filter.
- Lens Type: Full-frame E-mount Wide-angle Lens
- Lens Mount Type: Sony E-mount (35mm full frame)
- Lens Stabilization: Optical SteadyShot
- Aperture (Max.): f/4.0
- Aperture (Min.): f/22
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent): 16-35mm (35mm) 24- 52.5mm (APS-C)
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Lens Groups-Elements: 10 groups, 12 elements
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11" 0.28m
- Angle of View: 83 degrees - 44 degrees (APS-C) 107 degrees - 63 degrees (35mm)
- Aperture Blade: 7 blades (Circular aperture)
- Aspheric Elements: 5 aspherical, 1 advanced aspherical
- Lens Weight: 18.3 oz (518g)
- Maximum Magnification: 0.19x
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.): 3-1/8" x 4" (78 x 98.5mm)
- Weight (Approx.): 18.2 oz (518g)
In the box:
- Front and rear lens cap
- Bayonet type lens hood (petal)
- Lens case
(1) Dust and moisture resistant design does not guarantee complete protection against dust or moisture ingress.