Zoom Far. Share Away.
Capture your family's precious moments with the PowerShot SX420 IS camera, whether it's a vacation, a party or just every day life. With a powerful 42x Optical Zoom (24-1008mm) and 24mm wide-angle lens, the PowerShot SX420 IS is primed to capture the shots you need, and can easily share them with the addition of built-in Wi-Fi* and NFC** connectivity for quick broadcast of your favorite shots. Whether shooting landscapes or faraway wildlife, the camera is ready to take on a versatile array of subjects thanks to its 20.0 Megapixel*** sensor and Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor, which help create crisp resolution and beautiful, natural images. You can also create 720p HD video at the press of a button, zooming in and out while shooting. Images you'll want to keep and share are easy to achieve with Smart AUTO that intelligently selects the most appropriate camera settings to capture incredible images in a variety of situations. Fun is on the table with effects such as Fisheye, Toy Camera and Monochrome. For versatility and quality, you can't go wrong with the PowerShot SX420 IS camera.
- Powerful 42x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer for outstanding optical performance
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos
- 20.0 Megapixel* sensor with DIGIC 4+ Image Processor helps deliver stunning image quality
- 3.0-inch LCD with a wide viewing angle allows clear display as well as easy operation and sharing
- Capture 720p HD video with clear sound
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on predefined shooting situations
- Scene Modes such as Fisheye Effect, Toy Camera Effect and Monochrome provide creative freedom to capture your photos
- ECO Mode helps reduce power consumption for longer battery life
* Compatible with iOS versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
** Compatible with Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1.
*** Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
42x Optical Zoom (24-1008mm)
Don't miss a moment with the versatility of the PowerShot SX420 IS camera's 42x Optical Zoom lens. It gives you a reach all the way from 24mm to 1008mm, which means if you're capturing your child playing sports at the far end of the field, you can still see his movements and expressions. A 24mm wide-angle lens enables easy capture of brilliant landscapes and large group portraits, and the Optical Image Stabilizer helps ensure you get clear and virtually noise-free images whether you're shooting near or far.
Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the ideal shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system selects from Normal IS, Panning IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Tripod modes. When shooting video, the system selects from Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS and Active Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make effective IS settings to help capture a steady image.
Still Image Shooting
- Normal IS: Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
- Panning IS: Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
- Tripod: When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
- Dynamic IS: Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
- Powered IS: Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
- Macro (Hybrid) IS: Corrects for motion blur that is likely to occur when shooting video while walking. Also compensates for the shift-type camera shake common in macro shooting.
- Active Tripod IS: When shooting video while using a tripod, the Image Stabilizer is active to compensate for slight camera shake.
Built-in Wi-Fi Technology Makes Sharing Quick and Easy
Built-in Wi-Fi technology allows for on-the-go convenience when you want to share your photos and videos with friends and family. Easily post your images to social networking and media sites - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, and Google Drive - through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* directly from your PowerShot SX420 IS camera, or save them to the online photo album to share anytime, anywhere. The camera can also connect directly to both compatible iOS** and Android devices***, and upload images via the free Canon Camera Connect app** without a computer. You can control the destination of your uploads to share with everyone or to select groups, and even add comments. Sharing video is also easy with Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras, which record video using the easy-to-share MP4 format. Wi-Fi capability makes posting in real time possible, so you can keep everyone up to date with photos and video even as events unfold. Wi-Fi technology also allows you to transfer images to other Wi-Fi equipped PowerShot cameras or print your photos directly to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) certified printer. Thanks to the Wi-Fi Button, you can connect in both Shooting mode and Playback mode for quick and easy operation. You can even turn on the camera and connect at the same time with just one press of the button, helping you get right to sharing and managing your files when you like.
Built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) Technology
PowerShot digital cameras with built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) technology provide fast connectivity with a single tap. Simply touch the NFC icon on your camera to your compatible Android? device***, and the Camera Connect app will launch automatically for quick, easy sharing of your images. Built-in NFC technology also makes it simpler to install the app. If the app hasn't been installed yet, once you touch the devices together for the first time, the download screen will display automatically. Simply touch the camera against an NFC-equipped device with the Canon Camera Connect app** installed, and a Wi-Fi connection is established - no camera operations required. Even if your camera is off, NFC turns the camera on and establishes the connection (confirming the camera's nickname and privacy settings before the first connection is required).
Image Sync Function
In addition to wirelessly transferring photos and videos through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* to your computer, now you can view and download them from your compatible smartphone.**** Take them anywhere, anytime, and use your familiar smartphone operations to view and share them.
Remote Shooting with the Camera Connect App
With the built-in Wi-Fi on the PowerShot SX420 IS camera, you can use your compatible smartphone or tablet** to remotely control the camera. Simply connect wirelessly to your device and access the free Canon Camera Connect app**. Your device will show a live image of the camera's capture - ideal for a commemorative group photo, wildlife shots and all kinds of situations. The camera's versatile 42x Optical Zoom, flash, self-timer and shutter are all under your control, with images being saved to your camera as usual.
* One-time registration is required on CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photo album.
** Compatible with iOS versions 7.1/8.4/9.0, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
*** Compatible with Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.0/4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1.
**** With the download of the free Canon Online Photo Album app. The images and videos utilizing Image Sync can be viewed and downloaded with your smartphone or tablet within 30 days.
20.0 Megapixel* Image Sensor
The PowerShot SX420 IS camera's 20.0 Megapixel* CCD sensor delivers impressive photos with fine detail and brilliant color. The high resolution helps provide superb image quality even when cropping or making very large prints.
* Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
The Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor powers the PowerShot SX420 IS camera's advanced functions and capabilities. Its accelerated processing speed creates fast, responsive performance, for a shooting experience that's easy and natural. The DIGIC 4+ Image Processor also enhances image quality: processing of high ISO shots has been shortened by approximately up to 60% compared to the DIGIC 4 Image Processor. This helps significantly reduce noise for brilliant color, smooth gradations and beautiful detail even in low light. The processor's highly efficient design also extends battery life.
3.0-inch LCD Screen
Easy to see from a wide angle, the camera's 3.0-inch LCD screen with a great resolution of approximately 230,000 dots gives you the big picture, whether you're shooting, reviewing or showing off your images. This high-resolution screen offers a crisp, clear picture to make shooting, playback and using the camera's menu functions especially convenient.
Capture 720p HD Video
The PowerShot SX420 IS camera lets you record highly detailed 720p HD video at up to 25 frames per second with clear sound. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot high-definition video whenever you want, right from your compact digital camera.
Smart AUTO is a sophisticated Canon technology that makes getting that great shot as simple as pressing the shutter button. It automatically detects scenes by assessing various factors in both the background and the subject. Detected scenes are analyzed using predefined shooting situations*. The camera then makes optimal settings to help facilitate incredible image capture, whether you're shooting stills or video. With Smart AUTO, all you have to do is frame your shot and capture away.
*32 predefined shooting situations for still images, and 21 predefined shooting situations for videos.
PowerShot cameras offer shooting modes that make it easy to take impressive photos in a wide range of shooting situations by providing intelligent presets with optimized settings.
- Program: Access advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically.
- Live View Control: Enables Brightness, Color and Tone adjustments to your images using easy-to-understand controls.
- Smart AUTO: The camera automatically selects the ideal shooting settings for high quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.
- Portrait: The camera sets a large aperture, focusing on the subject and artistically blurring the background to make your subject ?pop.?
- Face Self-timer: The camera waits for a face to enter the frame before releasing the shutter.
- Low Light: For high-quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly lit situations.
- Creative Filters: This setting provides easy access to special filter effects and scene modes, such as Toy Camera Effect, Poster Effect, Monochrome and more.
- Fisheye Effect: Add a classic photo distortion without a fisheye lens.
- Miniature Effect for Movies & Stills: Emphasizes perspectives for a miniature effect by blurring upper and lower portions of the image.
- Toy Camera Effect: Simulates photos taken with ?toy? or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Monochrome: Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia or Blue.
- Super Vivid: Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colors.
- Poster Effect: Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one color, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
- Fireworks: Grab brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Long Shutter: Use to blur moving subjects for artistic effect, ideal for urban night photography.
- Movie: Record video in monaural sound. Unwanted scenes can be deleted in playback mode.
Scene Modes Provide Creative Freedom to Capture your Photos
The PowerShot SX420 IS camera provides shooting modes that can easily give your shots a distinctly artistic feel without the need for any extra lenses and filters. You can make a quirky portrait using the Fisheye Effect or add a beautiful single-tone effect with Monochrome. Toy Camera Effect simulates a vintage look as if capturing the photo using a "toy" or pinhole camera. Super Vivid heightens and saturates colors for eye-popping intensity, while Poster Effect eliminates gradations between colors for an illustrative feel. Miniature Effect enhances perspective in a scene, blurring the top and bottom to make it look as if it were created with miniature models.
The PowerShot SX420 IS camera features ECO Mode to help provide a high number of shots per single charge through LCD monitor and camera power management. The mode can be activated via a dedicated button for easy power preservation when an outlet is unavailable or the moment is too exciting to put the camera down. ECO Mode quickly wakes the camera from sleep when a button is pressed so you won't miss the moment.
Type of Camera
- Type: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 42x Optical, 4x Digital and 168x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer
Image Capture Device
- Type: 20.0 Megapixel*, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 20.5 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 20.0 Megapixels*
*Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
- Focal Length: 4.3 (W) ? 180.6 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24?1008mm)
- Optical Zoom: 42x
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range Normal: 2.0 in. (5.0cm) ? infinity (W), 4.6 ft. (1.4m) ? infinity (T)
- Focusing Range Auto/Manual: 0.0 in. (0.0cm) ? infinity (W), 4.6 ft. (1.4m) ? infinity (T)
- Focusing Range Macro: 0.0 in. ? 1.6 ft. (0.0-50cm) (W)
- Focusing Range Infinity: 9.8 ft. (3.0m) - infinity (W), 9.8 ft. (3.0m) - infinity (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: Not available
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT Color LCD with wide viewing angle (4:3)
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 230,000 dots
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperture & Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5 (W), f/6.6 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 1?1/4000 sec., 15?1 sec. (in Long Shutter Mode)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 80?3200
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center Weighted Average, Spot
- Exposure Compensation: Still Images: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance Control: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Flash Range: 1.6-16.0 ft. (W), 4.6?8.9 ft. (T), 50.0cm ? 5.0m (W), 1.4?2.7m (T)
- Shooting Modes: P, Live View Control, Auto, Portrait, Face Self-Timer, Low Light, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fireworks, Long Shutter
- My Color: My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Self Timer: Off / 2 sec. / 10 sec. / Custom
- Wireless Control: Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC
- Normal Continuous Shooting in Auto/P modes: Approx. 0.5 shots/sec.
- Normal Continuous Shooting AF in Low Light mode: Approx. 2.2 shots/sec.
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant; DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Image Compression: Superfine / Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode Still Image: Exif. 2.3 (JPEG)
- JPEG Compression Mode Video: MP4 (Image: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels Still Image:
- 16:9 ? Large: 5152 x 2896; Medium 1: 3648 x 2048; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
- 3:2 ? Large: 5152 x 3432; Medium 1: 3648 x 2432; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
- 4:3 ? Large: 5152 x 3864; Medium 1: 3648 x 2736; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Medium: 2560 x 1920; Small: 640 x 480
- 1:1 ? Large: 3856 x 3856; Medium 1: 2736 x 2736; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- Number of Recording Pixels Videos:
- HD 1280 x 720: 25.00 fps
- 640 x 480: 29.97 fps
- Playback Modes File: Protect, Favorites, Erase, Slideshow, Rotate, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Photobook Set-up, Scroll Display, Auto Rotate, Resume, Transition Effect
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Monaural
- Other: Hi-Speed USB (Mini-B); direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Power Source: Battery Pack NB-11LH
- Shooting Capacity: Approx. 195 shots; Approx. 260 shots in ECO Mode; Video Recording Time: Approx. 50 min.
- Playback Time: Approx. 5 hr.
- Operating Temperature: 32-104 degrees F/0?40 degrees C
- Operating Humidity: 10?90%
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 4.11 x 2.72 x 3.35 in. / 104.1 x 69.1 x 85.1mm
- Weight: 11.5 oz. / 325g (CIPA standard); 10.9 oz. / 308g (Body only)