VIXIA HG21 Hard Disk Drive Camcorder combines the ease of recording video directly onto an internal Hard Disk Drive with the advanced AVCHD (Advanced Video Codec High Definition) format. Its 120GB Hard Disk Drive allows you to record up to 45 hours of crisp, high definition video (LP Mode). It also is a dual system camcorder, with the capability of also recording video and still images to an SDHC card as well.
The VIXIA HG21 boasts 1920 x 1080 Full HD, and has a CODEC capable of recording 24Mbps - the highest AVCHD bitrate --through Canon's own Full HD CMOS Image Sensor and advanced DIGIC DV II image processor. Other exclusives are a new Genuine Canon 12x HD video lens, SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization and Instant AutoFocus and a host of other advanced features including an HDMI? Connector. Enhanced and simplified controls give you more choices and easier operation. Remarkable image reproduction and advanced features are yours in this compact AVCHD Format Hard Disk Drive camcorder which easily goes along with you, wherever you are, to capture those unforgettable moments in life- in true HD.
120GB Hard Disk Drive
The VIXIA HG21 captures 1920 x 1080 high definition resolution video directly to a large capacity 120GB Hard Disk Drive. Hard Disk Drive recording is an especially convenient format if you plan to transfer your video to a computer for viewing, editing or sharing. It also has the added benefit of taking away any worries about not having enough recording media with you, so you're more likely to be able to capture all those future memories as they happen. With LP mode, while recording 1440 x 1080 resolution video you'll be able to record up to an astonishing 45 hours and 15 minutes of video. In addition, the VIXIA HG21 can record in MXP mode at 1920 x 1080 resolution. This gives the highest quality 24Mbps recording, with a full 11 hours and 5 minutes of superb video.
Plus, HDD recording also delivers true random-access play. It lets you view the scene you select instantly. You'll also have no fear of accidentally recording over footage you've already shot. Like a computer, the VIXIA HG21 automatically searches for blank space on the drive onto which to record. It's simple to delete unwanted footage and you can record as the action unfolds without worry.
Genuine Canon 12x HD Video Lens
For over 70 years Canon has been producing exceptional photographic lenses that are synonymous with unsurpassed optical performance. Because of Genuine Canon Optics, every Canon broadcast lens, 35mm film camera, digital camera and camcorder assures brilliant optical quality - and the VIXIA HG21 is no exception.
The VIXIA HG21 comes with an outstanding high definition video lens - a Genuine Canon 12x HD Video Lens. It's the lens you need to record long shots of your child on the soccer field, wide shots of beautiful landscapes, and everything in-between. And because it comes with four zoom speeds, three pre-set and one variable, you always get smooth, steady, professional looking zoom shots.
Super Spectra Coating technology results in images with minimal flare and ghosting. Plus, the lens' aspheric design reduces aberration and increases resolution, ensuring crisp, sharp video and enhancing the HD image quality. Not only that, but a gradation neutral density (ND) system gives you better exposures in bright shooting situations.
In addition, for those times when you need to get a particular shot from a very long distance, this flexible lens also has a 200x digital zoom.
Canon Exclusive: 3.3 Megapixel HD CMOS Image Sensor
The VIXIA HG21 captures 1920 x 1080 high definition video through its Canon designed and manufactured 1/3.2-inch 3.31 megapixel CMOS image sensor, similar to the CMOS image sensors in Canon's EOS Series Digital SLR cameras. The VIXIA HG21's CMOS image sensor provides high color resolution and advanced color reproduction for brilliant results. It is also unique in featuring Canon's proprietary noise reduction technologies for crisp, sharp images. Low noise technology also means that even in dimly lit scenes, the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible, with minimal noise or other aberrations. It's the ideal sensor for HD.
The VIXIA HG21 uses an RGB Primary Color Filter with Bayer Placement Pattern that separates light into red, green and blue color components. This results in vibrant images with deep, rich, accurate color and natural-looking tones similar to what you'd obtain from 3CCD camcorders. In addition, the Bayer Placement Pattern delivers sharp high definition images with true-to-life color reproduction. As an added benefit, the CMOS sensor provides outstanding image capture in low light conditions.
Canon Exclusive: DIGIC DV II Image Processor
The Canon DIGIC DV II Image Processor is the next generation of Canon's exclusive DIGIC DV signal processing technology. Designed specifically for HD, DIGIC DV II ensures optimal image quality for video and still images even though video and photos have different color requirements. DIGIC DV II is just another one of Canon's advanced technologies that makes the VIXIA HG21 an exceptional performer.
Thanks to Canon DIGIC DV II image processing, the VIXIA HG21 produces video with improved color reproduction - especially in skin tones, and dark and light scenes. It also uses a hybrid noise reduction system that employs two types of noise reduction - for high definition images that are crystal clear.
Plus, the Canon DIGIC DV II Image Processor features improved continuous shooting of digital photographs with the VIXIA HG21. You can shoot five (3.1 Megapixel) still images per second, and enjoy faster processing of your images to your memory card (1.4x normal card; 2.5x Hi Speed card). It also helps lower power consumption for longer battery life.
1920 x 1080 Full HD Recording
The Canon VIXIA HG21 not only captures images in Full HD, but records and outputs at 1920 x 1080* as well, so you get Full HD from lens to screen. Your memories are preserved in stunning clarity, and ready for playback on your HDTV. With the advanced codec in the VIXIA HG21, you can also record at the highest AVCHD bitrate of 24Mbps.
*A Class 4 or higher SDHC memory card is required. For other recording formats, a Class 2 or higher card is recommended. Also, movie recording requires cards with 128 MB of memory or more. Cards made by Toshiba, SanDisk or Matsushita are recommended. No particular restrictions apply for still images.
Canon Exclusive: SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization
The high-resolution images of high definition video demand a steady hand. It's easier to get those clear, steady images with the VIXIA HG21, thanks to Canon's innovative SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization. It combines gyro and image sensors to give image stabilization through a wider range of camera motions. Some image stabilization systems correct one type of camera motion or vibration better than another. But Canon's SuperRange OIS corrects for a wide range of camcorder motion: the fast vibration you'd experience while recording from a moving car; the medium-speed motion of hand-held recording; and the slower motion of body sway. No matter what you're recording and how you're recording it, the VIXIA HG21's stabilization design corrects camcorder shake instantly. SuperRange OIS also delivers steady images when shooting at long focal lengths.
In addition, optical stabilization keeps your shot steady without a loss in image quality - something that can't be said for electronic image stabilization. And optical image stabilization isn't just for video; you can even use it for taking sharper, clearer digital photographs with your VIXIA HG21. Thanks to Canon's expertise, it's easy to eliminate one of the telltale signs of amateur video and photography.
Canon Exclusive: Instant AF (AutoFocus)
Another critical objective when shooting in high definition is achieving a very sharp focus. The VIXIA HG21 camcorder features Canon's revolutionary Instant AF focusing system which offers a dramatic improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy (compared to traditional auto focus systems). The Instant AF feature uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus, even in low light conditions. This system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus "hunting." The benefits of Instant AF are especially seen in high brightness and night shooting situations. With Instant AF, it's possible to capture fast, accurate focusing, even when following a moving subject.
And because a properly focused subject is more critical than ever with HD, the VIXIA HG21 also features Focus Assist for achieving sharp images when Manual Focusing. This helps in capturing your subject in razor sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject. It's a feature normally found in professional broadcast-quality cameras. (When you start recording, this assistance is automatically cancelled.)
The 24Mbps recording capability of the VIXIA HG21 gives you the highest quality AVCHD video possible. You'll see enhanced detail, finer gradations of tones and improved reproduction of moving subjects. Video shot by the VIXIA HG21 of fast-moving sporting events, multi-color butterflies on a variegated leaf or the shading of a brilliant sunset will be remarkable.
24p Cinema Mode
24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 24p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the VIXIA HG21's CINEMA setting, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together or independently.
30p Progressive Mode
This is a unique feature that only Canon offers in the consumer camcorder market (as of August 2008). You would otherwise have to look to professional video cameras in order to have this sophisticated tool at your command. In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HG21 to capture video in 30p (30 progressive frames, recorded at 60i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording. It's also excellent for action shots and sports.
Superb Shooting Control
- Variable Zoom Speed Control - Another sure sign of amateur video is the unsteady zoom shot. But with the VIXIA HG21's zoom control, you simply select one of the four zoom speeds (three pre-set, one variable) for smooth, steady, professional looking zooms.
- Level and Grid Markers - With the Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep your camera level for more professional looking video. Line up any horizontal lines in your shot - such as the horizon - to the marker and you can be sure your camcorder is level.
- Simulated image - The VIXIA HG21s Grid Marker feature lets you compose your shot accurately, according to the grid in your viewfinder. You can even choose from two different colors for the grid. This ensures that you see the grid, no matter what the background color of your shot is.
- Program AE Mode - For the best exposure for various situations, the VIXIA HG21's Program AE mode will automatically adjust the settings to compensate for the conditions and subject. Choose from Portrait, Sports, Night, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Spotlight and Fireworks. You won't have to guess if you're capturing all the action just the way you want it, the VIXIA HG21 will do it for you.
- Quick Start - Never miss a quickly unfolding shot again. Push the Quick Start button between shots -it places the VIXIA HG21 in standby mode. When the action starts, push the Quick Start button again to begin recording in less than one second. You'll also help extend your battery life compared with leaving the camcorder in regular recording mode.
- Low Light Performance - Some of the most magical shots are taken at the end of the day or long after the sun has set. You won't miss any of them, thanks to the VIXIA HG21's mini video light. The light lets you shoot subjects in color and in low light from up to 4.9 feet away. So, whether it's a shot of a sleeping baby, or a dramatic skyline at night, the VIXIA HG21 captures all the moments you want to record.
- Manual Audio Level Control - To make your videos sound as good as they look, the VIXIA HG21 offers a built-in audio meter and manual audio level adjustment. You'll be able to tell at a glance if the sound you're hearing is being recorded the way you want it and a simple control allows you to change the audio level if it's not.
- DVD Burner Compatible - You can also easily burn DVDs of the video shot with your VIXIA HG21 as it is compatible with Canon's new DW-100 DVD Burner. A one cable connection is all it takes to send the files across and with the click of a few buttons, your videos will be burned to an AVCHD disc for play in a compatible DVD player.
Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe Terminal
Another pro-level feature of the VIXIA HG21 is the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe on the camcorder. At about half the size of Canon's Advanced Accessory Shoe, this feature allows you to attach available Canon optional accessories, such as the VL-5 accessory video light or DM-100 directional stereo microphone. Using the proper accessories can greatly enhance the production values of the video you shoot.
Intelligent Lithium-ion Battery
The Intelligent Lithium-ion battery which powers the VIXIA HG21 is a major advance. It not only more accurately tracks remaining battery life, it also gives a display in minutes remaining. It will allow you to better plan your shooting, so you won't be caught out with a battery that suddenly goes from "half" to "empty." It is especially useful thanks to the long recording time capability of the VIXIA HG21- you'll be able to take full advantage of it and not miss any of the action you want to capture.
Capture Razor-Sharp 3.1 Megapixel Photos to SDHC Memory Card
The VIXIA HG21 has many advanced photo features which make it a camera that rivals many of today's state-of-the-art digital cameras. Recording to an SDHC memory card, you get the best in both video and photos.
- 3.1 Megapixel Photos - The same Canon exclusive CMOS image sensor that ensures sharp, vivid HD video also gives you brilliant digital photographs. Like the CMOS image sensors in Canon's EOS Series digital SLR cameras, the VIXIA HG21's image sensor results in outstanding digital photographs. It gives an impressive resolution of 3.1 megapixels for sharp, crisp still images.
- Canon DIGIC DV II Image Processor - Canon's exclusive DIGIC DV II Image Processor features improved continuous shooting of digital photographs with the VIXIA HG21. You can shoot 5 (3.1 megapixel) still images per second, and enjoy faster processing of your images to your memory card (1.4x normal card; 2.5x Hi Speed card).
- Focus Features - Auto Intelligent Auto Focus (AiAF) ensures sharp images and gives creative flexibility. Even when your subject isn't in the center of the frame, the VIXIA HG21's 9 Point AiAF will automatically select from 9 metering frames on the screen to help bring images into sharp focus.
- Auto Exposure Modes - Like any good digital still camera, the VIXIA HG21 lets you choose from a range of exposure modes. Auto mode automatically sets the exposure, letting you concentrate on your subject. AV (aperture priority) mode lets you control depth of field by letting you choose the aperture. TV (shutter priority) mode lets you select the shutter speed for sharp, action shots. In P (program) mode, the camcorder adjusts camera settings automatically.
- Program AE Mode - Your life happens everywhere, so the VIXIA HG20 gives you settings that automatically result in the best exposure settings for different conditions and different subjects.
- Portrait mode ensures shallow depth of field for a pleasing background in your shots of friends and family. Sports mode stops the action with faster shutter speeds. Night mode is designed to give you great shots after the sun goes down. Snow and Beach modes compensate for bright surroundings and give you the proper exposure on your subject. Sunset mode results in vibrant, well-exposed colors for one of the toughest subjects to capture properly. Use Spotlight mode when your child is on stage and in the spotlight - literally - and you want to make sure the exposure is right for them. And, Fireworks mode records brilliant images of another tough subject: the holiday fireworks display.
- Simultaneous Photo Recording - With the VIXIA HG21, you can record HD video and capture a 2 megapixel photo to a memory card - simultaneously. Simply press the photo button and you've got an e-mail ready digital photo to share with friends and family.
- Histogram Display - For the advanced digital photographer, the VIXIA HG21 comes with a Histogram Display - a feature found in Canon's line of digital SLR cameras. The display allows you to see the brightness information of your still images, so you can adjust your exposures as you shoot.
- Level and Grid Markers - With the Level Marker feature, it's easy to keep your camera level for more professional looking photographs. Line up any horizontal lines in your shot - such as the horizon - to the marker and you can be sure your camcorder is level.
- The VIXIA HG21's Grid Marker feature lets you compose your shot accurately, according to the grid in your viewfinder. You can even choose from two different colors for the grid. This ensures that you see the grid, no matter what the background color of your shot is.
- Still Capture from Flash Memory - The versatile VIXIA HG21 even lets you capture a still image from an already recorded movie. While playing the movie in your camcorder, simply press the photo button to capture a 2.07 megapixel 16:9 still frame onto an SDHC card or to built-in memory. It's another way the VIXIA HG21 lets you enjoy and share your precious memories.
- Built-in Flash - Your VIXIA HG21's built-in flash lets you capture superb photos indoors and in low light conditions. The VIXIA HG21 also features red eye reduction.
- Share Your Photos - Your VIXIA HG21 comes with features that make it simple to share your still photos.
- Print/Share - Print/Share turns your VIXIA HG21 into a photo lab in the palm of your hand. Simply connect your camcorder directly to select Canon printers or any PictBridge-compatible printer with the supplied USB cable. Then, with a simple touch of the Print/Share button, print directly from your VIXIA HG21 without going through a computer. Print/Share also makes it easy to transfer your still images to your computer. Simply connect your VIXIA HG21 and your computer, press the Print/Share button and your photos are downloaded to your computer.
- DVD Burner Compatible - You can also easily burn DVDs of your still photos taken with your VIXIA HG21 as it is compatible with Canon's new DW-100 DVD Burner. A one-cable connection is all it takes to send the files across and, with the click of a few buttons, your photos are ready to share with all.
With the VIXIA HG21, sharing your high definition video on your HD television is easier than ever. Only a single cable connects your camcorder to your TV for the highest quality playback (video and audio).
Microphone Terminal with Manual Audio Level Control
The VIXIA HG21 allows you to enhance the quality of your audio by using the optional accessory Canon DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone to capture better sound and headphones to monitor the audio as you hear it. Manual control of audio levels also lets you set the exact balance you need for the situation. Your videos will sound as good as they look.
Includes Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Software
The Canon VIXIA HG21 high definition camcorder is bundled with a powerful software suite, Pixela ImageMixer 3SE. You can easily perform a variety of functions, including AVCHD Editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. This software also allows you to play your AVCHD movies on your computer and will also let you share copies of your movie with friends and family through Flash Memory to hard drive copying. Transfer and store your movie onto your computer's hard drive with the software and easily convert your high definition video to standard definition video as well.
This software will also assist you in converting video to the optimum resolution for transmission over the Internet.
With the Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Software, you can burn an AVCHD* DVD** or standard definition DVD to relive the memories on your TV.
* High Definition footage in the AVCHD format can be copied onto DVD media with included software. However, DVD media containing AVCHD footage should be used in AVCHD compatible players otherwise the DVD player may fail to eject the media and may erase its contents without warning.
**Blu-Ray DVD burner required.
*** The bundled application is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista.
- USB 2.0 Hi-Speed Terminal for ultra-fast transfer of movies and photos.
- Wireless Remote Control lets you operate your VIXIA HG21 from a distance, so you don't have to be left out of the picture.
- New compatible optional accessories available including the Wide Converter WD-H37 II, Video Light VL-5 and High Capacity Battery Pack BP-827.
- 1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty provides protection long after other manufacturers' warranties expire.