Sometimes, inspiration comes from the tools we use to create. Take the D5500 for example, a compact DSLR capable of inspiring a new level of creativity. From the moment you flip the touchscreen Vari-angle display and capture an ultra-sharp 24.2-megapixel photo, you'll begin to see your photography in a new light. At the flick of a switch, the D5500 transforms into a versatile Full HD video camera. Record 1080 video at a high speed frame rate of 60p - perfect for capturing fast-moving subjects or creating ultra-smooth slow motion effects. Break free of the ordinary with star trail images, interval-timer sequences and HDR photography. Add artistic filters and effects and even retouch your shots right in the camera, and then share your creations instantly with built-in Wi-Fi. Inspiration has a new name, and it's the D5500.
Sharpen your creative vision
Stunning, sharp, detailed photos & videos
To create amazing photos and videos, a digital SLR needs a great lens, a great image sensor and great image processing. The D5500 has all three. It's high-resolution sensor has no optical low-pass filter, freeing it to capture the outstanding details provided by NIKKOR lenses. Enlarge or crop your shots without losing detail or sharpness. EXPEED 4 image processing handles all of that data with ease for clean, sharply defined images in low light up to 25,600 ISO, 1080/60p videos and an extremely wide dynamic range.
Touch and shoot from many angles
High resolution touchscreen Vari-angle LCD
A first for Nikon DSLRs, the D5500 features a touchscreen Vari-angle LCD for exciting new shooting possibilities and easier handling. Flip out the large 3.2-inch display for an interesting new angle, then simply touch where you want to focus and shoot. A new Fn button gives you one-touch access to important settings like aperture, ISO sensitivity, AF mode and more. During playback, pinch to zoom in and check the details. Easily navigate menu items, set video settings and more, all as familiar as operating a smartphone.
Share your shots instantly
Built-in Wi-Fi and smartphone compatibility
Share amazing moments while they're happening and without missing a beat. Flip out the LCD and start taking DSLR-quality selfies! The D5500 quickly transfers your creations to a compatible smartphone or tablet for easy sharing by email, texting or posting online, wherever you are - no hot spot needed. Your smartphone or tablet can even act as an external monitor and remote control for the D5500 - imagine the possibilities!
Small and durable enough to grab and go
There's an old saying: the best camera is the one that's with you. The D5500 is designed to always be with you. It's small and lightweight (just 14.9-oz), so you won't mind taking it along. Its strong and durable (thanks to a monocoque structure featuring long-fiber reinforced thermoplastics), so you won't worry when conditions get rough. And its ergonomic design and easy-to-use controls will have you shooting the pictures you've always wanted in no time.
Focus on the moment
The D5500 delivers outstanding speed and accuracy to help you catch all the moments that matter - smiles, tears, big plays and big hugs. Its 39-point AF system includes nine highly accurate cross-type sensors for enhanced AF accuracy. Freeze moments by shooting up to 5 frames per second, or extend moments with unlimited continuous shooting at shutter speeds between 4 and 30 seconds for stunning star trail images.
Make it cinematic
Cinematic storytelling is at your fingertips with the D5500. Capture Full HD video at a frame rate of 60p with tack-sharp details, vibrant colors and high-fidelity stereo sound. An improved full-time autofocus keeps moving subjects sharp, and advanced Picture Controls like Flat and Clarity make it easier to perfect your movies in post-production.
Enjoy the view
When you're capturing fast-moving action, especially outdoors, you need a clear view of what's happening. That's when the D5500's high-quality optical viewfinder really comes in handy. Put the camera to your eye and enjoy a beautiful, glare-free view through the lens. Take your shot, and the moment you pull the camera away from your eye, the D5500 automatically displays it on the LCD for you.
Let the camera do the work
The D5500 is a highly intelligent camera that makes it easy to take great photos and videos. Nikon's innovative Scene Recognition System uses information from the camera's 2,016-pixel RGB sensor and image sensor to analyze the brightness and color of a scene. It then compares your shots to a database of thousands of similar shots, and then optimizes the camera settings - white balance, focus tracking, flash information and more - to ensure you get optimal results.
Show off your creativity
Take a series of photos at fixed intervals for up to 9,999 frames that can be combined into jaw-dropping time lapse sequences. Make a scene look like a miniature model, highlight one color within a B&W photo, and more. Combine photos of different exposures into one HDR shot. Brighten shadowy areas with Nikon's innovative Active D-Lighting, including a new Subject-based Active D-Lighting that works with moving subjects.
Retouch Menu makes it easy to improve the look of your photos. Soften skin tones, highlight a subject, soften a background, crop, create a color outline and more - all right at your fingertips!
Make a scene
Select from one of the D5500's 16 Scene Modes - like Nightscape, Portrait, Close-up, Beach and more - and get optimal results in tough situations. Or, get creative and use Scene Modes to add artistic flare to your shots.
Personalize the mood of your photos and videos with the D5500's seven improved Picture Controls. Add vibrance and color depth, soften skin tones, explore black & white and more. You can even create and save a custom Picture Control for a characteristic that's all your own.
Nikon factory refurbished products have been restored to factory specification of brand new operating condition and carry a Refurbished Warranty. These product have minimal or no signs of prior use and are in mint or near mint condition.
- Type: Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens Mount: Nikon F bayonet mount
- Picture Angle: Nikon DX format
- Effective Pixels: 24.2 million
- Sensor Size: 23.5 mm x 15.6 mm
- Image Sensor Format: DX
- Image Sensor TypeL CMOS
- Total Pixels: 24.78 million
- Dust-reduction system: Image sensor cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)
- Dust-Off Reference Photo: Yes
- Image Area (pixels): DX-format, (L) 6,000 x 4,000, (M) 4,496 x 3,000, (S) 2,992 x 2,000
- File Format Still Images: JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression, NEF (RAW): compressed 12 or 14 bit, NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats
- Storage Media: SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Card Slot: 1 Secure Digital (SD)
- File System: Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, DPOF (Digital Print Order Format), EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
- Viewfinder: Eye-level Pentamirror Single-Lens Reflex viewfinder
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage: 95% Horizontal, 95% Vertical (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Magnification: 0.82x (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Eyepoint: 17 mm (-1.0 m-1)
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment: -1.7 to +0.5m-1
- Focusing Screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark VII screen
- Reflex Mirror: Quick-return type
- Mirror Lock Up: Yes
- Lens Aperture: Instant-return type
- Lens Compatibility at a Glance: AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only
- Compatible Lenses: Autofocus is available with AF-S and AF-I lenses, Autofocus is not available with other type G and D lenses, AF lenses (IX NIKKOR and lenses for the F3AF are not supported) and AI-P lenses, Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but Exposure Meter does not Function, Electronic Rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster.
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane
- Shutter Speed: 1/4000 to 30 sec. in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
- Fastest Shutter Speed: 1/4000 sec.
- Slowest Shutter Speed: 30 sec.
- Flash Sync Speed: Up to 1/200 sec., Synchronizes with shutter at 1/200s or slower
- Bulb Shutter Setting: Yes
- Shutter Release Modes: Continuous low-speed [CL] mode; 1-3 frames per second, Continuous high-speed [CH] mode; 1-5 frames per second, Delayed remote (ML-L3), Interval timer photography supported, Quick-response remote (ML-L3), Quiet shutter-release, Self-timer Mode, Single-frame [S] mode
- Continuous Shooting Options: DX-format, CH: Up to 5 frames per second, CL: Up to 1-3 frames per second
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: 5 frames per second
- Self-timer: 2, 5, 10, 20 sec.; 1 to 9 exposures (Timer duration electronically controlled)
- Exposure Metering System: TTL exposure metering using 2,016-pixel RGB sensor
- Metering Method: Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8 mm circle in center of frame, Matrix: 3D Color Matrix Metering II (type G, E and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering II (other CPU lenses), Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point
- Metering Range: 0 to 20 EV (3D color matrix or center-weighted metering), 2 to 20 EV (Spot metering at ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens at 20-degrees C/68-degrees F)
- Exposure Meter Coupling: CPU
- Exposure Modes: Aperture-Priority (A), Auto, Auto (flash off), Manual (M), Programmed auto with flexible program (P), Scene Modes, Shutter-Priority (S)
- Scene Modes: Autumn Colors, Beach / Snow, Blossom, Candlelight, Child, Close-up, Dusk / Dawn, Food, Landscape, Night Landscape, Night Portrait, Party / Indoor, Pet Portrait, Portrait, Sports, Sunset, Special Effects Mode (Night vision, Color sketch, Toy camera, Miniature effect, Selective color, Silhouette, High key, Low key, HDR painting)
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
- Exposure Bracketing, 3 frames in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
- Exposure Lock: Yes
- Picture Control: Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, User-customizable Settings, Vivid
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 -25,600
- Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 100
- Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 25,600
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction: Yes
- High ISO Noise Reduction: Low, Normal, High. Off
- Active D-Lighting: Auto, Extra High, High, Normal, Low, Off
- D-Lighting Bracketing: 2-3 frames, 2 frames using selected value for one frame or 3 frames using preset values for all frames
- Single-point AF Mode: Yes
- Dynamic AF Mode: Number of AF points: 9, 21, 39 and 39 (3D-tracking)
- Auto-area AF Mode: Yes
- Autofocus System: Nikon Multi-CAM 4800DX autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection
- Detection Range: -1 to 19 EV (ISO 100, 68-degrees F/20-degrees C)
- Lens Servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status, Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
- Focus Point: Can be selected from 39 or 11 focus points
- AF-area Mode: 9, 21 or 39 point Dynamic-area AF, Auto-area AF, Single-point AF, 3D-tracking (39 points)
- Focus Lock: Focus can be locked by pressing AE-L/AF-L button, Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF)
- Focus Modes: Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A), Continuous-servo (AF-C), Face-Priority AF available in Live View only, Full-time Servo (AF-A) available in Live View only, Manual (M) with electronic rangefinder, Normal area, Single-servo AF (AF-S), Wide area
- Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points: 39
- Autofocus Sensitivity: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100, 20-degrees C/68-degrees F)
- Built-in Flash: Yes
- Built-in Flash Distance: Approx. 12/39, 12/39 with manual flash (m/ft, ISO 100, 20-degrees C/68-degrees F)
- X-Sync Speed: 1/200
- Flash Control: TTL: i-TTL flash control using 2,016-pixel RGB sensor are available with built-in flash and SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, SB-600, SB-400 or SB-300; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix and center-weighting metering, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR with spot metering
- Flash Sync Modes: Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction, Auto slow sync, Auto slow sync with red-eye reduction, Fill-flash, Rear-curtain sync, Rear-curtain with slow sync, Red-Eye reduction, Red-Eye reduction with slow sync, Slow sync, Off
- Flash Compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
- Flash-ready Indicator: Lights when built-in flash or optional flash unit is fully charged; flashes after flash is fired at full output
- Accessory Shoe: Yes
- Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS): Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-910, SB-900, SB-800, SB-700 or SB-500 as a master flash or SU-800 as commander; Flash Color Information Communication supported with all CLS-compatible flash units
- Flash Sync Terminal: Sync Terminal Adapter AS-15 (available separately)
- White Balance: Auto, Cloudy, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Fluorescent (7 types), Incandescent, Preset Manual, Shade
- White Balance Bracketing: 3 shots in steps of 1
- Live View Shooting: Photography Live View Mode, Movie Live View Mode
- Live View Lens servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F), Manual focus (MF)
- Live View AF-area mode: Face-priority AF, Wide-area AF, Normal-area AF, Subject-tracking AF
- Live View Autofocus: Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)
- Live View Scene Auto Selector: Auto mode, Auto (flash off) mode
- Movie Metering: TTL exposure metering using main image sensor
- Movie Maximum recording time: Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps (10min. High / 20min. Norm), Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps (10min. High / 20min. Norm), Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps (20min. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps (20min. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps (20min. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps (20min. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps (20min. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), VGA 640x424 / 30 fps (29min. 59sec. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm), VGA 640x424 / 25 fps (29min. 59sec. High / 29min. 59sec. Norm)
- Movie File Format: MOV
- Movie Video Compression: H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
- Movie Audio recording format: Linear PCM
Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps, VGA 640x424 / 30 fps, VGA 640x424 / 25 fps
- Movie Audio: Built-in microphone, stereo, External stereo microphone (optional), Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
- Monitor Size: 3.2 in. diagonal
- Monitor Resolution: 1,037,000 Dots
- Monitor Type: Wide Viewing Angle, Vari-angle Touch TFT-LCD, Eye Sensor Control
- Monitor Angle of View: 170-degree wide-viewing angle
- Monitor Adjustments: Brightness adjustment and eye-sensor controlled on/off
- Playback Functions, Auto Image Rotation, Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 12, or 80 images or calendar), Highlights, Histogram Display, Image Comment, Location Display, Movie Playback, Movie Slideshow, Photo Information, Playback with Zoom, Slideshow
- In-Camera Image Editing: Color Balance, Color Outline, Color Sketch, D-Lighting, Distortion Control, Edit Movie, Filter Effects, Fisheye, Image Overlay, Miniature Effect, Monochrome, NEF (RAW) Processing, Perspective Control, Quick Retouch, Red-Eye Correction, Resize, Selective Color, Side-by-Side Comparison, Straighten, Trim
- Image Comment:Yes
- Interface: Accessory Terminal: Remote Cord: MC-DC2 (available separately), GPS unit: GP-1A (available separately), HDMI output: Type C mini-pin HDMI connector, Hi-speed USB, Stereo Microphone Input, R-1 and WR-R10 wireless remote controller (available separately)
- Wi-Fi Functionality: Yes (Built-in)
- GPS:GP-1A GPS unit
- Total Custom Settings: 21
- My Menu: Yes
- Recent Settings: Yes
- Supported Languages: Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Date, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings: Yes
- World Time Setting: Yes
- Battery / Batteries: One EN-EL14a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery or EN-EL14 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
- Battery Life (shots per charge):820 shots (CIPA)
- AC Adapter: EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5A Power Connector (available separately)
- Battery Charger: MH-24 Quick Charger
- Tripod Socket:1/4 in.
- Approx. Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth)" 4.9 in. (124 mm) x 3.9 in. (97 mm) x 2.8 in. (70 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 14.9 oz. (420 g) camera body only
- Operating Environment: 0-40-degrees C (+32?104-degrees F)