As part of the celebration of its 100th anniversary this year, Nikon has introduced 100 limited special editions of its professional D5 and D500 DSLR Cameras. Everything about this limited edition is special, its special metallic gray finish, custom metal travel case, with special body cap and shoulder strap along with informative booklet.
Flagship Power, DX Agility.
Meet the new DX flagship, the Nikon D500. At first glance, it may seem unimposing - but contained within a streamlined camera body is a veritable powerhouse of processing power and technological advances. The D500 is ready to go wherever your passion leads you, capturing everything with stunning clarity, speed and resolution. From busy, low-light cityscapes to thrilling wildlife scenes and fast action shots, the D500 is the ideal companion to your wanderlust. Marvel at the clarity of its cinematic 4K UHD video. Be amazed at its ruggedness and versatility. And, once you've captured your gorgeous photos, admire them on the D500's high resolution tilt touchscreen display and share them via the built-in SnapBridge (Wi-Fi + Bluetooth) capabilities. No matter what you shoot, you can be sure that the D500 will be up to the task, time and time again.
Small, Yet Powerful - Your favorite travel companion
The sleek and beautiful D500 goes anywhere you go, bringing along stunning resolution and performance. Packing a lot of power into a smaller camera body thanks to its DX sensor means you can take advantage of the smaller and lighter DX lenses in the NIKKOR line-and when you're travelling, every ounce counts. The best part is, there's no need to sacrifice image quality to gain portability. The D500 strikes the perfect balance with its 20.9 megapixel CMOS sensor, and is ready to capture the exquisite details, colors, and textures this world has to offer. With the D500 at your side - whether you're hiking through the lush landscapes of New Zealand or on safari in Africa - it will be ready to go, effortless and unobtrusive.
The NIKKOR Legacy - Unleash the full potential of the D500
Like every Nikon DSLR, the D500 is best paired with legendary NIKKOR lenses which provide unequalled clarity and versatility. The NIKKOR legacy is unmatched - there's a reason over 95 million have been sold to date. Each lens offers a different view from which to capture your memories. Shooting landscapes or portraiture? The fast AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR could prove to be your best friend. Or, extend your range with the lightweight AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED VR II, ideal for shooting sports, parades or distant architecture. No matter your choice, pairing the Nikon D500 with renowned NIKKOR lenses is a recipe for success.
A Peek Under the Hood - Bursting with new technology
The new D500 is a technical marvel, the fruit of Nikon's tireless strides towards producing the world's greatest cameras. To preserve life's most fleeting moments, you need a camera with incredible speed. The EXPEED 5 processor in the D500 opens up a world of possibilities, processing images fast enough to allow up to 10 frames per second so you don't miss a moment of the action. The new Multi-CAM 20K autofocus system provides 153 AF points including 99 cross type points, which together enable you to create images that match your vision. It is also the first Nikon DX camera to utilize the new XQD memory card technology, which provides faster read/write and transfer speeds to fully take advantage of the D500's speed. Not quite ready to upgrade to XQD? That's no problem, as the D500's dual memory card slots can accept SD media as well. Although compact in size, the D500 certainly packs a punch.
Not Afraid of the Dark - There's so much more to see
Not much light to go around? The D500 makes the most out of every bit of available light, giving you the flexibility to produce high quality images in dark environments. With a native ISO range of 100 - 51,200, expandable to Lo 1 and Hi 5 (50 - 1,640,000 equivalent), the versatile D500 is not intimidated by difficult low-light conditions, down to -4 EV. Rich details emerge from the shadows to produce unrivaled quality found only with Nikon cameras and lenses.
Laughs in the Face of Danger - As tough as you need it to be
They say that good things come in small packages, and the D500 is no exception. A powerful but smaller sibling of the D5, the D500 features the same durable, rugged build and ergonomics you've come to associate with Nikon DSLRs. Built with rugged magnesium alloy and carbon fiber materials, and featuring dust and water-drop resistance you'll have peace of mind even when shooting in extreme environments. The D500 also leverages a 3.2-inch 2,359k-dot tilting RGBW LCD touchscreen, making it easy to get the shot even from high or low angles.
Your images. The world. Connected. Don't wait to show off your best shots
Now, sharing your amazing photos is easier than ever - the D500's SnapBridge functionality enables multiple built-in connectivity options. Liberated from the constraints of connecting wires, you can transfer your images to a compatible smart device from anywhere in the world using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology to eliminate the barrier between your camera and smart device. As an added benefit, the D500's built-in Near Field Communication (NFC) capability makes it a breeze to connect the camera to your compatible smart device while the built-in Wi-Fi capability allows for faster wireless image transfer. For those looking for an even faster transfer solution, the D500 is also compatible with the optional WT-7A, enabling transmission of files to an FTP server or computer at speeds of up to 866.7 Mbps.
Cinematic 4K UHD Performance
For the first time in a Nikon DX DSLR, you can harness the power of 4K UHD video recording. Capture every moment in cinematic, ultra high definition detail at up to 30 frames per second, and take advantage of a format that is quickly becoming the gold standard for video recording the world over. Other features include a built-in interval timer and 4K UHD quality time-lapse function, which allows you to easily create 4K UHD time-lapse movies in-camera that are sure to impress.
Lighting the shadows
Built into the D500 is compatibility with Nikon's new radio controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system. Using radio control technology, when combined with the optional WR-A10/R10 transceiver, the D500 can control and wirelessly fire the SB-5000 Speedlights from another room, around corners or outdoors in bright sunlight. Access controls are easily accessed from the D500's menu and will let you shine light on even more shooting opportunities.
This camera's built-in Wi-Fi capability can only be used with a compatible iPhone, iPad, and/or iPod touch or smart devices running on the Android operating system. The Nikon SnapBridge application must be installed on the device before it can be used with this camera.
- 20.9MP DX format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 5 image processor
- Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus sensor with 153/99 AF points
- ISO range of 100-51,200 expandable to Lo 1 and Hi 5 (50 - 1,640,000 equivalent)
- Share images instantly with built-in SnapBridge (Wi-Fi + Bluetooth) capabilities
- 10 fps Shooting for Up to 200 Frames
- Shoot cinematic 4K UHD video
- Dual card slots - XQD and SD media
- Metallic Gray Finish, Commemorative Logo
- Anniversary Body Cap and Leather Strap
- Custom Metal Travel Case
- Type: Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens Mount: Nikon F bayonet mount
- Picture Angle: Nikon DX format
- Effective Pixels (Megapixels): 20.9 million
- Sensor Size: 23.5 mm x 15.7 mm
- Image Sensor Format: DX
- Image Sensor Type: CMOS
- Total Pixels: 21.56 million
- Dust-reduction system: Image sensor cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)
- Dust-Off Reference Photo: Yes
- Image Area (pixels): DX-format - (L) 5,568 x 3,712, (M) 4,176 x 2,784, (S) 2,784 x 1,856, 1.3x Crop Mode - (L) 4,272 x 2,848, (M) 3,200 x 2,136, (S) 2,128 x 1,424, Photographs taken during movie recording at a frame size of 3,840 x 2,160: 3,840 x 2,160, Photographs with image area of DX taken during movie recording: (L) 5,568 x 3,128, (M) 4,176 x 2,344, (S) 2,784 x 1,560, Photographs with image area of 1.3x taken during movie recording: (L) 4,272 x 2,400, (M) 3,200 x 1,800, (S) 2,128 x 1,192
- File Format Still Images: JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression, NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats, NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed; large, medium, and small available (medium and small images are recorded at a bit depth of 12 bits using lossless compression), TIFF (RGB)
- Storage Media: SD, SDHC, SDXC, XQD Type Memory
- Card Slot: Either card can be used for primary or backup storage or for separate storage of NEF (RAW) and JPEG images; pictures can be copied between cards.
- File System: Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
- Viewfinder: Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage: DX (24x16): 100 percent Horizontal and 100 percent Vertical (Approx.), 1.3x (18x12): 98 percent Horizontal and 98 percent Vertical (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Magnification: 1.0x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 m-1) (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Eyepoint: 16mm (-1.0 m)
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment: -2.0 to +1.0m
- Focusing Screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark II with AF Area Brackets (grid lines can be displayed)
- Reflex Mirror: Quick-return type
- Mirror Lock Up: Yes
- Lens Aperture: Instant-return type, Electronically Controlled
- Depth-of-field Control: Pressing Pv button stops lens aperture down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or by camera (other modes)
- Lens Compatibility at a Glance: AF-S or AF lenses fully compatible, Metering with AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only)
- Compatible Lenses: AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E, and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and DX lenses, AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only), Electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports 15 focus points with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster, of which 9 points are available for selection), IX NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF, and non-AI lenses cannot be used.
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane mechanical shutter, Electronic front-curtain shutter available in mirror up release mode
- Shutter Speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec. in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV, Bulb, Time, X250
- Fastest Shutter Speed: 1/8000 sec.
- Slowest Shutter Speed: 30 sec.
- Flash Sync Speed: Up to 1/250 sec., Synchronizes with shutter at 1/250s or slower
- Bulb Shutter Setting: Yes
- Shutter Release Modes: Continuous low-speed (CL) mode, Continuous high-speed (CH) mode, Mirror-up (Mup) mode, Quiet Shutter Release, Quiet Continuous Release, Self-timer Mode, Single-frame (S) mode
- Frame Advance Rate: Up to 9 fps (manual focus, mode M or S, shutter speed 1/250 sec or faster, and other settings at default values)
- Continuous Shooting Options: DX-format, CH: Up to 10 frames per second, CL: Up to 1-9 frames per second, Quiet Continuous Mode: Up to 3 frames per second
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: 10 frames per second
- Self-timer: 2, 5, 10, 20 sec.; 1 to 9 exposures at intervals of 0.5, 1, 2, or 3 sec., Timer duration electronically controlled
- Exposure Metering System: TTL exposure metering using approximately 180K (180,000) pixels RGB sensor
- Metering Method: Center-weighted: Weight of 75 percent given to 8 mm circle in center of frame. Diameter of circle can be changed to 6, 10, or 13 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 8-mm circle), Matrix: 3D Color Matrix Metering III (type G, E, and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering III (other CPU lenses); Color Matrix Metering available with non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data, Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5 percent of frame) centered on selected focus point, Highlight-weighted: Available with type G, E, and D lenses; equivalent to center-weighted when non-CPU lens is used
- Metering Range: -3 +/- 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering), 0 to 20 EV (Highlight-weighted metering)
- Exposure Meter Coupling: CPU, AI
- Exposure Modes: Aperture-Priority (A), Manual (M), Programmed auto with flexible program (P), Shutter-Priority (S)
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
- Exposure Bracketing: 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV
- Exposure Lock: Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
- Picture Control: Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, User-customizable Settings, Vivid
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 - 51,200, Can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 1 EV (ISO 50 equivalent) below ISO 100 or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 EV (ISO 1,640,000 equivalent) above ISO 51,200; auto ISO sensitivity control available
- Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 100
- Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 51,200
- Lowest Expanded ISO Sensitivity: Lo-1 (ISO 50 equivalent)
- Highest Expanded ISO Sensitivity: Hi-5 (ISO 1,640,000 equivalent)
- Expanded ISO Sensitivity Options: Lo-1 (ISO 50 equivalent), Hi-1 (ISO 102,400 equivalent), Hi-2 (ISO 204,800 equivalent), Hi-3 (ISO 409,600 equivalent), Hi-4 (ISO 892,200 equivalent), Hi-5 (ISO 1,640,000 equivalent)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction: Yes
- High ISO Noise Reduction: Low, Normal, High, Off
- Active D-Lighting: Auto, Extra High, Normal, Low, Off
- D-Lighting Bracketing: 2 frames using selected value for one frame, 3 - 5 frames using preset values for all frames
- Single-point AF Mode: Yes
- Dynamic AF Mode: Number of AF points: 25, 72 and 153 (3D-tracking)
- Auto-area AF Mode: Yes
- Autofocus System: Nikon Advanced Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection and fine-tuning, and 153 focus points (including 99 cross-type sensors and 15 sensors that support f/8), of which 55 (35 cross-type sensors and 9 f/8 sensors) are available for selection
- Detection Range: -4 to +20 EV (ISO 100, 68 degrees F/20 degrees C)
- Lens Servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status, Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
- AF-area Mode: 25, 72, or 153 point Dynamic-area AF, Auto-area AF, Single-point AF, 3D-tracking, Group-area AF
- Focus Lock: Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing the center of the sub-selector
- Focus Modes: Continuous-servo (AF-C), Face-Priority AF available in Live View only and D-Movie only, Full-time Servo (AF-F) available in Live View only, Manual (M) with electronic rangefinder, Normal area, Single-servo AF (AF-S), Wide area
- Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points: 153
- Autofocus Sensitivity: -4 to +20 EV (ISO 100, 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)
- Autofocus Fine Tune: Yes
- Flash Bracketing: 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV
- X-Sync Speed: 1/250
- Top FP High Speed Sync: Up to 1/8000
- Flash Control: TTL: i-TTL flash control using RGB sensor with approximately 180K (180,000) pixels; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix, center- weighted, and highlight-weighted metering, standard i-TTL fill-flash for digital SLR with spot metering
- Flash Sync Modes: Auto FP High-Speed Sync supported, Front-curtain sync (normal), Rear-curtain sync, Red-Eye reduction, Red-Eye reduction with slow sync, Slow rear-curtain sync, Slow sync
- Flash Compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
- Flash-ready Indicator: Lights when optional flash unit such as SB-5000, SB-910, SB-900, SB-700, SB-400, SB-300 or SB-R200 is fully charged
- Accessory Shoe: Yes
- Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS): CLS Supported
- Flash Sync Terminal: Yes
- White Balance: Auto (3 types), Choose color temperature (2500K - 10000K), Cloudy, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Fluorescent (7 types), Incandescent, Preset manual (up to 6 values can be stored, spot white balance measurement available during live view)
- White Balance Bracketing: 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1, 2 or 3 EV
- Live View Shooting: Photography Live View Mode, Movie Live View Mode
- Live View Lens servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F), Manual focus (MF)
- Live View AF-area mode: Face-priority AF, Wide-area AF, Normal-area AF, Subject-tracking AF
- Live View Autofocus: Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)
- Movie Metering: TTL exposure metering using main image sensor
- Movie Maximum recording time: 4K/UHD 30/25/24; 1,080 50/60p 10/20 minutes (HQ/Norm); 1,080 30/25/24p and 720 50/60p 20/29:59 minutes (HQ/Norm)
- Movie File Format: MOV
- Movie Video Compression: H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
- Movie Audio recording format: Linear PCM
- Movie: 4K/UHD 3,840x2,160 / 30 fps, 4K/UHD 3,840x2,160 / 25 fps, 4K/UHD 3,840x2,160 / 24 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps, Actual frame rates for 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p are 59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, and 23.976 fps respectively, High quality available at all frame sizes, normal quality available at all sizes except 3,840 x 2,160
- Movie Audio: Built-in microphone, stereo, External stereo microphone (optional), Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
- Monitor Size: 3.2 in. diagonal
- Monitor Resolution: 2,359,000 Dots
- Monitor Type: TFT touch-sensitive LCD with 170 degrees viewing angle
- Monitor Angle of View: 170-degree wide-viewing angle
- Monitor Adjustments: Brightness, 5 levels
- Virtual Horizon Camera Indicator: Yes, Also visible in LiveView Modes, Also visible in Viewfinder
- Playback Functions: Auto Image Rotation, Full-Frame and Thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images or calendar), GPS data display, Highlights, Image Rating, Image Rotation, Image Slideshow, IPTC information embedding and display, Movie Playback, Movie Slideshow, Photo Information, Playback with Zoom
- In-Camera Image Editing: Color Balance, D-Lighting, Distortion Control, Edit Movie, Filter Effects, Image Overlay, Monochrome, NEF (RAW) Processing, Perspective Control, Red-Eye Correction, Resize, Side-by-Side Comparison, Straighten, Trim
- Image Comment: Yes
- Interface: 10-pin RemoteTerminal, HDMI output: Type C mini-pin HDMI connector, Headphone Connector, NTSC, Stereo Microphone Input 3.5mm, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0 Micro-B connector); connection to built-in USB port is recommended
- Wi-Fi Functionality: Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC and Bluetooth
- GPS: GP-1A GPS unit (optional)
- Save/Load Camera settings: Yes
- Total Custom Settings: 52
- My Menu: Yes with customization
- Recent Settings: Yes
- Supported Languages: Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Date, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings: Yes
- World Time Setting: Yes
- Battery / Batteries: EN-EL15 Lithium-ion Battery, Optional MB-D17 multi-power battery pack with one rechargeable Nikon EN-EL18a or EN-EL18 Li-ion battery (available separately), one rechargeable Nikon EN-EL15 Li-ion battery, or eight AA alkaline, Ni-MH, or lithium batteries. A BL-5 battery-chamber cover is required when using EN-EL18a or EN-EL18 batteries.
- AC Adapter: EH-5b AC Adapter; requires EP-5B Power Connector (available separately)
- Battery Charger: MH-25a Quick Charger
- Tripod Socket: 1/4 in.
- Approx. Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth): 5.8 in. (147 mm) x 4.6 in. (115 mm) x 3.2 in. (81 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 26.9 oz. (760 g) camera body only
- Operating Environment: 0 - 40 degrees C (+32 - 104 degrees F), Less than 85 percent (no condensation)