Meet the DMC-GH3, a new and highly evolved model from LUMIX, creator of the world's first digital single lens mirrorless (DSLM) camera.
The body has been engineered to incorporate a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor, a 4-CPU Venus Engine, and a newly designed low-pass filter. The creative expression made possible by these innovations, which render even the finest textures in intricate detail, breaking new ground in photographic realism.
The new model also features Contrast AF with a high level of response. And its magnesium alloy frame is tightly sealed to resist splashes and dust, making the DMC-GH3 rugged enough to withstand the rigors of professional use.
Advances have been made in video performance as well. In addition to supporting a wide range of recording formats, the DMC-GH3 features a special heat-dispersing design for extended high-quality recording. Its specifications match those of many professional cameras, ensuring that it meets the demands of video field work.
The LUMIX GH3 was designed from the ground up to provide seamless multi-media performance for both stills and videos. It may well be the world's first camera to please professional photographers by offering them the best of both.
Reach Out and Feel the Beauty
Smoothly flowing gradation
New 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor
The DMC-GH3 features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with a level of sensitivity that produces flowing gradation from shadows to highlights. High resolution and a wide dynamic range create truly stunning images that look like you could reach out and touch them. High-sensitivity ISO 12800 (extended: ISO 25600) and extensive noise reduction give you remarkable images even in dim lighting.
Fast processing of high-quality images
New Venus Engine
The new Venus Engine has an unprecedented ability to process both still and video signals with razor-sharp clarity. 3D Noise Reduction (3DNR) and Multiprocess Noise Reduction (MNR) work together to attain superb noise-reducing performance. Four CPUs process these signals instantly to render images with excellent definition and lifelike ambience.
Moire suppression and high resolution
Newly Designed Low-Pass Filter
New technology has also been applied to the low-pass filter on the surface of the Digital Live MOS Sensor. The new filter optimizes the conventionally conflicting effects of increasing resolution while suppressing moire. The unwanted data that leads to moire and false color is reduced while maintaining high resolution.
Still-life images and landscapes without pixel shifting
Electronic Shutter Function
Both the front and rear curtains in the DMC-GH3's shutter system are driven electronically for reduced vibration operation. This ensures crisp still-life images and landscapes by limiting pixel shifting.
Great shots even in backlighting
HDR (High Dynamic Range)
To cope with the extreme bright and dark contrast that you get, for example, with backlighting, consecutive photos are taken with different exposure levels and overlapped. Blown highlights and blocked shadows are then deleted and a single photo is composed. All processing is done in the background, so you can take your next shot without having to wait, ensuring that you don't miss a photo opportunity.
High acclaim for accuracy and quality
Top-Class Aspherical Lenses
Lumix G lenses are all developed in-house. Their quality is inspected by the UA3P Ultra-High Accuracy 3D Profilometer, an instrument that was originally developed by Panasonic for lens manufactures all over the world. Panasonic's collaboration with Leica Camera AG also resulted in stringent quality standards for these advanced lenses and a system in which each and every lens is inspected.
Nimble Movement, Intuitive Response
Higher response and precision
In the DMC-GH3's Contrast AF system, the image sensor doubles as the AF sensor to resist any mechanical margin of error. Compared with Phase Difference AF, the focusing is precise even at small F-numbers. A faster sensor and engine also achieve a higher focus detection speed than most traditional DSLR models.
Easy, intuitive operation
Shooting with the viewfinder has been further enhanced in the DMC-GH3. Exposure compensation, ISO sensitivity, and white balance controls are positioned around the shutter button to make operation fast and easy while looking at the viewfinder.
Flexible framing not limited to measurement points
With Full-area Focusing, any place you touch on the rear monitor is a focus point. There's no need to have your subject in the center of the frame. DMC-GH3 owners are released from focus point limitations, and free to frame their shots as they please.
Camera tilt displayed on the monitor
Acceleration sensors inside the camera detect the horizontal condition. A level gauge indicating the two directions of horizontal lean and front/rear tilt is displayed. The camera's portrait/landscape orientation is also detected, and photos are automatically displayed in the correct orientation whatever lens is used.
Fine focus point adjustment
Pinpoint AF is handy when you want to set the focus point more precisely. Simply touch the rear monitor to expand the surrounding area. Then drag the screen to move the cross-shaped marker in the center to the exact place you want to focus. This allows detailed adjustment in a small focus area.
Natural color, high definition and a lag-free display
Double OLED Display
High-quality, high-speed organic EL displays are used for both the Live View Finder and the rear monitor. These rapid displays, which feature 100% coverage, exhibit virtually no perceptible time lag, and ensure that your subject is shown with natural coloring. The Eye Sensor automatically switches between the Live View Finder and the rear monitor, for smooth, easy shooting with both.
Enlarge the screen to check focusing
When manually focusing, simply touch a part of the rear monitor to enlarge the image by 4x, 5x or 10x, to aid in focusing. The 4x enlarged image is displayed in the framing screen, so you can focus while viewing the entire composition.
Extended shooting ability
New Tough Battery
The newly developed battery allows reliable, extended shooting of both photos and videos. You can shoot approx. 540 images with H-HS12035 (CIPA Standard).
- Type: Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera
- Recording media: SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card (Compatible with UHS-I standard SDHC / SDXC Memory Cards)
- Image sensor size: 17.3 x 13.0 mm (in 4:3 aspect ratio)
- Lens Mount: Micro Four Thirds mount
- Type: Live MOS Sensor
- Total pixels: 17.20 megapixels
- Camera effective pixels: 16.05 megapixels
- Color filter: Primary color filter
- Dust reduction system: Supersonic wave filter
- Recording file format: Still Image: JPEG(DCF, Exif 2.3), RAW, MPO (When attaching 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds standard) / Motion Image: AVCHD Ver2.0 compliant (AVCHD Progressive), MPEG4-AVC(H.264). (MOV, MP4)
- Aspect ratio: 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, 1:1
- Image quality: RAW, RAW+Fine, RAW+Standard, Fine, Standard, / MPO+Fine / MPO+Standard (with 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
- Color Space:sRGB, Adobe RGB
- Still Image: [4:3] 4608x3456(L) / 3264x2448(M) / 2336x1752(S) / 1824x1368 (with 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard) / [3:2] 4608x3072(L) / 3264x2176(M) / 2336x1560(S) / 1824x1216 (with 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard) / [16:9] 4608x2592(L) / 3264x1840(M) / 1920x1080(S) / 1824x1024 (with 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard) / [1:1] 3456x3456(L) / 2448x2448(M) / 1744x1744(S) / 1712x1712 (with 3D lens in Micro Four Thirds System standard)
- Motion Image (MOV: NTSC area): [Full HD]1920?1080, 30p (sensor output is 30p, 72Mbps(ALL-Intra)) / [Full HD]1920?1080, 24p (sensor output is 24p, 72Mbps(ALL-Intra)) / [HD]1280x720, 60p (sensor output is 60p, 72Mbps(ALL-Intra)) / [Full HD]1920?1080, 60p (sensor output is 60p, 50Mbps(IPB)) / [Full HD]1920?1080, 30p (sensor output is 30p, 50Mbps(IPB)) / [Full HD]1920?1080, 24p (sensor output is 24p, 50Mbps(IPB))
- Motion Image (MP4: NTSC area): [Full HD]1920?1080, 60fps (sensor output is 60p, 28Mbps)*4 / [Full HD]1920?1080, 30fps (sensor output is 30p, 20Mbps) / [HD]1280x720, 30fps (sensor output is 30p, 10Mbps) / [VGA] 640x480, 30fps (sensor output is 30p, 4Mbps)
- Motion Image (AVCHD Progressive:NTSC area): [Full HD]1920?1080, 60p (sensor output is 60p, 28Mbps)
- Motion Image (AVCHD: NTSC area): [Full HD] 1920?1080, 24p (sensor output is 24p, 24Mbps) / [Full HD] 1920?1080, 60i (sensor output is 30p, 24Mbps) / [Full HD] 1920?1080, 60i (sensor output is 60p, 17Mbps)
- Continuous recordable time (Motion images): AVCHD with picture quality set to Approx. 240 min with H-HS12035 / Approx. 220 min with H-VS014140
- Actual recordable time (Motion images): AVCHD with picture quality set to Approx. 120 min with H-HS12035 / Approx. 110 min with H-VS014140
- Flicker reduction (Motion images): [1/50] / [1/60] / [1/100] / [1/120] / OFF
- Time Code (Motion images) (except MP4): ON/OFF, Count Up : Rec Run/Free Run selectable, Time Code Mode : Drop frame/Non-drop frame selectable(NTSC only)
- WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n, 2412MHz - 2462MHz (11ch), Wi-Fi / WPA / WPA2, Infrastructure mode
- Type: OLED Live View Finder (1,744K dots)
- Field of view: Approx. 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 1.34x / 0.67x (35mm camera equivalent)
- Eye point: Approx. 21 mm from eyepiece lens
- Diopter adjustment: -4.0~+4.0 (dpt)
- Auto eye sensor: Yes
- Type: Contrast AF system
- Focus mode: AFS (Single) / AFF (Flexible) / AFC (Continuous) / MF
- AF mode: Face detection / AF Tracking / 23-area-focusing / 1-area-focusing / Pinpoint / (Full area touch is available)
- AF assist lamp: Yes (ON / OFF)
- AF lock: Yes (AF/AE LOCK button)
- Others: Quick AF, Continuous AF (during motion image recording), AF+MF, Eye Sensor AF, Touch Pad AF, Touch AF, Touch shutter, Touch MF Assist, Shutter AF, / Half Press Release
- Light metering system: 144-zone multi-pattern sensing system
- Light metering mode: Intelligent Multiple / Center Weighted / Spot
- Metering range: EV0-18 (F2.0 lens, ISO100 equivalent)
- Exposure mode: Program AE, Aperture Priority AE, Shutter Priority AE, Manual
- ISO sensitivity (Standard Output Sensitivity): Auto / Intelligent ISO / 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600 / 3200 / 6400 / 12800 (Changeable to 1/3, 1EV step) / (Extended ISO125-less under 200, ISO more over 12800-25600 Available) (Up to ISO3200 in Auto)
- Exposure compensation: 1/3 EV Step ?5EV (?3EV for motion image)
- AE lock: AF/AE LOCK button
- AE bracket: 3,5,7 frame in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV Step, single/burst
- White balance: Auto / Daylight / Cloudy / Shade / incandescent / Flash / White Set 1, 2, 3, 4 / Color temperature setting
- White balance adjustment: Blue/amber bias, Magenta/green bias
- Color temperature setting: 2500-10000K in 100K
- White balance bracket: 3 exposures in blue/amber axis or in magenta/green axis
- Type: Focal-plane shutter
- Shutter speed: Still image: Still Images: 1/4000-60 and Bulb (Approx. 60 minutes), Motion image: 1/16,000 ~ 1/30 (NTSC)
- Self timer: 10sec, 3 images after 10sec, 2sec
- Remote control: Remote control with Bulb function by DMW-RSL1 (Optional)
- Still image: Clear Portrait / Silky Skin / Backlit Softness / Clear in Backlight / Relaxing Tone / Sweet Child's Face / Distinct Scenery / Bright Blue Sky / Romantic Sunset Glow / Vivid Sunset Glow / Glistening Water / Clear Nightscape / Cool Night Sky / Warm Glowing Nightscape / Artistic Nightscape / Glittering Illuminations / Clear Night Portrait / Soft Image of a Flower / Appetizing Food / Cute Dessert / Freeze Animal Motion / Clear Sports Shot / Monochrome
- Motion Picture: Clear Portrait / Silky Skin / Backlit Softness / Clear in Backlight / Relaxing Tone / Sweet Child's Face / Distinct Scenery / Bright Blue Sky / Romantic Sunset Glow / Vivid Sunset Glow / Clear Nightscape / Cool Night Sky / Warm Glowing Nightscape / Artistic Nightscape / Clear Night Portrait / Appetizing Food / Cute Dessert / Freeze Animal Motion / Clear Sports Shot / Monochrome
- Burst speed: SH: 20 frames/sec, H: 6 frames/sec, M: 4 frames/sec (with Live View), L: 2 frames/sec (with Live View)
- Number of recordable images: 18 images (when there are RAW files with the particular speed) / Unlimited consecutive shooting (when there are no RAW files) / (depending on memory card size, battery power, picture size, and compression)
- Built in flash Type: TTL Built-in-Flash, GN12 equivalent (ISO100-m)/GN17 equivalent (ISO200-m) Built-in Pop-up (Reference)
- Flash Mode: Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction (when iA, iA+), Forced On, Forced On/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync., Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction
- Synchronization speed: Less than 1/160 second
- Flash output adjustment: 1/3EV Step ?3EV
- Flash synchronization: 1st. Curtain Sync, 2nd Curtain Sync.
- Synchronization for flash dimming and exposure compensation: Yes (ON/OFF)
- Flash sync socket: Yes
- Type: OLED Monitor with static touch control
- Monitor size: Free-angle 3.0inch / 3:2 Aspect / Wide viewing angle
- Pixels: 614K dots
- Filed of view: Approx. 100%
- Monitor adjustment: Brightness (7 levels), Color (7 levels), Red-Green(11 levels), Blue-Yellow(11 levels)
- Digital zoom: 2x, 4x
- Extra Tele Conversion: Still image: Max.2x (Not effective with L size recording. Magnification ratio depends on the recording pixels and aspect ratio.) / Motion image: 2.4x, 3.6x, 4.8x (Magnification ratio depends on the recording quality and aspect ratio.)
- Other functions: Guide Lines (3 patterns) / Real-time Histogram
- Level Gauge: Yes
- Still image and Video: Standard / Vivid / Natural / Monochrome / Scenery / Portrait / Custom
- Still image: Expressive / Retro / High Key / Low Key / Sepia / Dynamic Monochrome / Impressive Art / High Dynamic / Cross Process / Toy Effect / Miniature Effect / Soft Focus / Star Filter / One Point Color
- Motion picture: Expressive / Retro / High Key / Low Key / Sepia / Dynamic Monochrome / Impressive Art / High Dynamic / Cross Process / Toy Effect / Miniature Effect / One Point Color
Creative Video Mode
- Exposure Mode: Program AE/ Aperture-Priority / Sutter-Priority / Manual Exposure
- Slow and fast motion: 40% / 48% / 80% (Records 0.4 times, 0.48 times, 0.8 times slower) / 160% / 200% / 300% (Records 1.6 times, 2.0 times, 3.0 times faster) / (1920x1080, 24p, 24Mbps in MOV, MP4, AVCHD)
- Playback mode: Normal playback, 30-thumbnail display, 12-thumbnail display, Calendar display, Zoomed playback (Max.16x), Slide Show (All / Picture Only / Video Only / 3D / Category Selection / Favorite, duration & effect is selectable), / Playback Mode (Normal Play / Picture Only / Video Play / 3D Play / Category Play / Favorite Play), Title Edit, Text Stamp, Video Divide, Resize, Cropping, Rotate, Favorite, Print Set, Protect, Face Recognition Edit
Image Protection / Erase
- Protection: Single / Multi or Cancel
- Erase: Single / Multi / All / Except Favorite
Panasonic LUMIX Extended 3 Year Warranty Form
- Direct Print: PictBridge compatible
- USB: USB 2.0 High Speed
- HDMI: miniHDMI TypeC / Video: Auto / 1080p / 1080i / 720p / 480p / Audio: Dolby Digital Stereo Creator
- Audio video output: Monaural Type, NTSC
- Remote input: f2.5mm for Remote
- External microphone input: f3.5mm for External microphone
- Headphone output: f3.5mm for Headphone
- Microphone: Stereo, Wind-cut: Off / Low / Standard / High / AUTO
- Speaker: Monaural
- OSD language: English, Spanish
- Battery: Li-ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1860mAh) (Included)
- Battery life (CIPA standard): Approx. 540 images with H-HS12035 / Approx. 500 images with H-VS014140
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 132.9 x 93.4 x 82.0mm / 5.23 x 3.68 x 3.23 in (excluding protrusions)
- Weight: Approx. 550g/ 19.40 oz (SD card, Battery, Body) / Approx. 470g / 16.58 oz (Body only)
- Operating temperature: 0?C to 40?C (32?F to 104?F)
- Operating humidity: 10% to 80%
- Software: PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.5 PE / SILKYPIX? Developer Studio 3.1 SE / LoiloScope (trial version)
- Standard accessories: Body, / Body Cap, / Battery Charger (AC Cable included), / Battery Pack, / USB Connection Cable, / Shoulder Strap, / CD-ROM