This new Camera was discovered defective out of the original box. It has been repaired by a Panasonic service center.
DMC-LZ5 (Black) Lumix 6 megapixel Digital Camera
Upgrade to the high resolution, high quality DMC-LZ5 digital camera from Panasonic. With a 6.0 megapixel resolution, 6x optical zoom, and the unique Mega Optical Image Stabilizer feature, you're digital photos will be as clear and vibrant as your subject. In most situations Mega Optical Image Stabilization is all you need for crisp, sharp shots. But sometimes, in a dark setting or when the subject is moving, shooting at a faster shutter speed is required for truly great results. With the DMC-LZ5's High Sensitivity Mode, you can shoot at up to ISO1600, meaning stop-action clarity in nearly any situation.
This camera is also equipped with Widescreen Mode. This wonderful feature lets you shoot images in widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio), so that you can achieve panoramic images that are perfect for dramatic, wide prints. Plus, you can view photos as full screen images on your widescreen TV. So say goodbye to dull, lifeless digital images. With the DMC-LZ5, great photos are just a snap away.
Bright 2.5" LCD Monitor Shows Even Dark Scenes Clearly - The bright 2.5" LCD monitor is easy to see when taking photos. The pixel-mixed readout method is used to automatically increase the brightness level of live images according to the level of ambient darkness. This allows bright, easy framing of scenes that would normally be too dark to see. The large LCD allows the display of images even in tiny thumbnail size. Playback of 9, 16 and 25 is possible on a multi-split screen in addition to the normal 1 frame playback. This helps you to search for the image you want out of a number of images stored on the SD Memory Card, even if the images are in bulk.
6x Optical Zoom and Extra Optical Zoom - The LZ5 features a 6x optical zoom lens in an extremely compact body. The Extended Optical Zoom extends the zoom ratio to 8.3x* for even more dynamic close ups.
*At 3-megapixel resolution LZ3: 7.5x
Venus Engine Plus
This is a more energy efficient version of the Venus Engine II. It features outstanding high-speed response to help you capture beautiful shots instantly and efficiently.
MEGA O.I.S. + High Sensitivity Mode (Max. ISO 1600) - Blurred images have two main causes. One is hand-shake, and the other is subject movement. Since the majority of blurry images are due to hand-shake, MEGA O.I.S. is effective in most shooting situations, such as zoom shots, dimly lit indoor shots, nighttime shots, or macro shots. However, when taking indoor shots of moving subjects, like children or pets, the movement of the subject tends to cause blurring. For this, you can use High Sensitivity Mode to prevent hazy motion effects and get great photos every time. By adding High Sensitivity Mode to MEGA O.I.S., LUMIX has further expanded your range of crisp, clear photo expression.
MEGA BURST Consecutive Shooting - With the DMC-LZ5, you can snap off consecutive shooting at 3 frames per second with full resolution. The Unlimited Consecutive Shooting function lets you keep on shooting until the memory card or the built-in memory is full. You can take a series of shots, then choose the one you like best and delete the rest.
Industry First High Angle Mode for Easy Viewing - The new High Angle Mode makes the display extremely easy to view from bottom angle, for example, when taking photos raising a hand upward to shoot the subject over the crowd. This option can be set instantly by the independent button.
Runs on Two AA Batteries - For convenience, the DMC-LZ5 can be powered by two AA size batteries. The supplied Oxyride batteries let you take about 235 photos with the DMC-LZ5 or 250 photos with the DMC-LZ3. Alkaline batteries let you take about 140 photos with the DMC-LZ5, and Ni-MH (nickel hydride 2,600mAh) batteries let you take about 400 photos with the DMC-LZ5 or 420 photos.
Mode Dial/Scene Mode
The mode dial makes it easy to take beautiful shots in almost any situation. Or choose Simple Mode and just aim and shoot. Even first-time users can take great photos. A variety of Scene Mode settings optimize baby portraits, night scenes, and more.
Advanced functions such as white balance fine adjustment, exposure compensation and High Speed AF for quicker, easier focusing give you more shooting flexibility and fun.
- AF Distance Metering - This mode prevents the system from mistakenly focusing on the area between two subjects in a vertical composition. This mode prevents the system from mistakenly focusing on the area between two subjects in a horizontal composition.
- AF Assist Lamp - Provides extra lighting as a focusing aid for slightly dark situations where AF focusing would ordinarily be difficult.
- Motion Image Mode (High Quality VGA at 30/10 frames per second) - The CCD that adopts pixel-mixed readout method makes it possible to record beautiful full-size movie in VGA (640 x 480 pixels). The new CCD enhances the picture quality not only in the resolution but also in the brightness level of the image as it gains much luminous signals. On the sound front, built-in microphone lets you enjoy playing back movies with audio on TV or with PC.
- Favorite Image Slideshow - You can place virtual checkmarks on your favorite images to group them together, then make image slideshow with only those images or delete the ones without checkmarks if you no longer need them.
- Auto Angle Detection - This function detects and records whether the photo is being shot horizontally or vertically, then automatically rotates all vertically framed images during playback so they can be easily seen on the LCD monitor or TV screen.
*By connecting LZ5 with an AV cable. Some TV models are not compatible with this function.
- Composition Guide Lines - Displayed in the LCD, these thin horizontal and vertical lines make it easy for you to compose your shots or to hold the camera level.
- Real-Time Histograms - This graph, which can be displayed in the LCD monitor as you line up the shot, shows the status of the exposure and contrast in real-time.
- Selection of 3 Aspect Ratios - The aspect ratio is easily selectable between 16:9 wide, 3:2 and conventional 4:3 to shoot in the framing aspect that best suits the subjects' composition or the image's purpose of use. You can shoot images in the wide 16:9 format. Then insert the recorded SD Memory Card into a TV equipped with an SD card slot to view them in perfect, wide-screen size. Some TVs will display the image in stunning high definition.
- White Balance - Choose from five preset white balance settings: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Halogen, and White Set. When there are several different light sources and it's difficult to get the exact coloration you want, you can also fine-tune the photo by adding bluish or reddish tones, in up to -/+10 steps of 150K (Kelvin) each.
- Auto Bracketing - This lets you pick the best shot from different, automatically graduated exposures.
- Color Effect Mode - Alter the coloring effect to your liking.
- Picture Adjustment - Select the picture tone to match your creative vision. The Natural tone works well for minimizing noise.
- Zoom Auto Review - This function shows you an enlarged view of the image right after you shoot, to make it easier to check the focus.
- Flash - Choose the ideal flash for most any situation. Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction, Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction, Forced On/Off
- Self-Timer - You can use either a 10-second or 2-second setting.
- Exposure Compensation - Adjust the exposure setting to create a particular image.
- ISO Sensitivity Settings - You can choose light-receiving sensitivity from Auto/80/100/200/400.
- Audio Recording - Add 5 seconds of sound to pictures, as you shoot. Or, if you prefer, add up to 10 seconds of sound after shooting
- Trimming & Resizing - Let you trim the image, or reduce the amount of image data.
PictBridge compatible - The PictBridge standard lets you print directly on a compatible digital printer. Print size, layout, date and other settings can be made with the camera.
Total Megapixel: 6.37
Effective Pixels: 6.0 Megapixels
CCD (Image Sensor): 1/2.5" Primary Color Filter
Image Processor: Venus Engine Plus
Recording Image Size: (Pixels )
4:3 Aspect Ratio (Still Image)
2816 x 2112
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
1280 x 960
640 x 480
3:2 Aspect Ratio (Still Image)
2816 x 1880
2048 x 1360
16:9 Aspect Ratio (Still Image)
2816 x 1584
1920 x 1080
Motion Image (4:3 Aspect Ratio) 640 x 480, 320 x 240
f=6.1-36.6mm (35mm equivalent: 37-222mm)
8 elements in 7 groups (2 Aspherical Lenses/ 3 Aspherical surfaces)
Optical Zoom: 6x
Digital Zoom: 4x
Combined with Optical Zoom without Extended Optical Zoom: 24x
Combined with Extended Optical Zoom: 33x
Extended Optical Zoom
4:3 Aspect Ratio: 8.3x for 3 Mega, 2 Mega, 1Mega, 0.3 Mega
3:2 Aspect Ratio: 8.3x for 2.5 Mega
16:9 Aspect Ratio: 8.3x for 2 Mega
Wide: F2.8/F5.6 (2 steps)
Tele: F4.5 - F9 (2 steps)
Optical Image Stabilizer: MEGA O.I.S. (Mode 1 / Mode 2 )
Normal: Wide 50cm / Tele 120cm - infinity
Macro/Simple/Motion Picture: Wide 5cm / Tele 50cm - infinity
Auto Focus System
ISO Sensitivity: Auto / 80 / 100 / 200 / 400 (High Sensitivity Mode: 800 - 1600)
White Balance Adjustment (except for Auto Set)
Exposure: Program AE
Exposure Compensation: 1/3 EV Step, +/- 2 EV
Backlight Compensation: Yes (at simple mode)
Auto Bracketing (AE): +1/3EV-1EV Step, 3 Frames
Light Metering: Intelligent Multiple
Dial: Simple, Normal Picture, Economy, Macro
SCN1, SCN2:(Portrait, Sports, Food, Scenery, Night Scenery, Night Portrait, Fireworks, Party, Snow, Baby, Soft Skin, Starry Sky, Candle, Soft Skin, Baby1, Baby2, High Sensitivity), Moving Image, Playback
8 - 1/2,000 sec.
Starry Sky Mode: 15, 30, 60 sec.
Self Timer: 10 seconds / 2 seconds
Auto Review: 1 sec/3 sec/zoom
Picture Adjustment: Natural, Standard, Vivid
Color Effect Mode: Cool, Warm, Black & White, Sepia
Image Quality: Fine/Standard
Still Image: JPEG (design rule for camera file system), DPOF corresponding
Still Image with Audio: JPEG (design rule for camera file system) + QuickTime
Motion Images: QuickTime Motion JPEG
Burst Shooting Mode (Full-resolution image)
Standard Mode: Up to 8 images at 3 or 2 frames/sec.
Fine Mode: Up to 6 images
Built-in Flash Mode:
Auto, Auto/Red-eye Reduction,
Slow Sync./Red-eye Reduction
Wide: 0.5 - 4.2m (ISO Auto)
Tele: 0.5 - 2.6m (ISO Auto)
High Sensitivity Mode: 0.8 - 5.7 (Wide), 0.8 - 3.5 (Tele)
2.5" Diagonal Polycrystalline TFT LCD Display (85k pixels)
Field of view: approx. 100%
Recording Media: Built-in Memory / SD Memory Card / Multimedia Card
Interface: DC Input, Video Output (NTSC/PAL), USB
Included: Two Oxyride AA Batteries
Optional: AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries / AA Alkaline Batteries / AC Adaptor (Input: 110-240V AC)
Up to 235 pictures (CIPA Standard) with included AA Oxyride Batteries
25, 16 or 9-Thumbnail Display
Zoomed Playback (16x max)
1 point high speed
3 points high speed
Lumix Simple Viewer
OSD Language: English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (Traditional), German, Italian, French
Dimensions: 2.44'' (H) x 3.94'' (W) x 1.77'' (D)
Weight: .41 lbs
Unlimited Consecutive Shooting
Still Image Recording with Audio 5 seconds
Audio Dubbing Maximum of 10 Seconds
Composition Guide Lines
Built-in Memory 14MB
Scene Mode Help Screen
Auto Angle Detection
Economy Mode Yes (Dial)
AF Assist Lamp