Full frame. Palm size.
Sony's passion for quality and compactness culminates in the world's first 35mm full-frame camera with bright lens and palm-sized dimensions. The Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R leaps far beyond other compact cameras to deliver emotionally charged photographs of truly extraordinary quality wherever you go. Make your dreams come true with RX1 and RX1R.
The DSC-RX1R is a special edition of the RX1 for photographers who want to take full advantage of the sensor's capabilities. The optical low-pass (anti-aliasing) filter has been removed from the RX1R, allowing the full resolution of the sensor to be achieved without compromise. This results in resolution and sharpness when image details matter.
A whole new world of high-quality images.
Sony's high-quality 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor captures every detail of your scene with remarkable accuracy. Its 24.3MP resolution (approx.) is ideal for gallery-quality stunning large-format prints. Razor-sharp alignment of the sensor and optical components brings out the full potential of the lens to the very edges of your photos.
Focus on the details.
Carl Zeiss lens expertise meets Sony optical precision in a sophisticated large-aperture lens offering remarkable brightness reminiscent of the sun. The design of this lens includes a slim advanced aspherical (AA) lens element of micro precision that delivers stunning image sharpness and brightness while contributing to a short lens barrel.
High-fidelity image processing engine.
From vivid colors to smooth skin tones, every nuance of your scene is reproduced throughout an extremely wide dynamic range with BIONZ image processing engine. Even processor-intensive tasks are handled with speed and precision, including 5 fps continuous shooting at full 24.3 effective megapixel resolution, 14-bit RAW and high ISO shooting.
Amazing low-light performance.
Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 25600 (recommended for still subjects).
High speed Auto Focus.
Focus fast as with high speed AF. To improve focusing speed and sensitivity, the Exmor CMOS sensor uses its rapid throughput to deliver high-quality image signals to the camera's BIONZ processor, which provides intelligent response data to a new high speed actuator motor in the lens. The result is DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low light.
24.3 MP 35 mm Full Frame Sensor
A whole new world of high-quality images are realized through the 24.3 MP effective 35 mm full-frame sensor, a normal sensor range of ISO 100 - 25600, and a sophisticated balance of high resolving power, gradation and low noise. The BIONZ image processor enables up to 5 fps high-speed continuous shooting and 14-bit RAW image data recording.
Amazing Low-light performance
Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 25600. (Recommended for still subjects.)
DSC-RX1R: Ultimate resolution
The RX1R is a special edition of the RX1 for photographers who want to take full advantage of the sensor's capabilities, and whose workflow normally includes computer based post-processing. The optical low-pass (anti-aliasing) filter that is built into the RX1 to minimize the occurrence of moir? and color artifacts has been removed from the RX1R, allowing the full resolution of the sensor to be achieved without compromise. The RX1R takes RX1 resolution to the limit.
High speed Auto Focus
Focus fast as with high speed AF. To improve focusing speed and sensitivity, the Exmor CMOS sensor uses its rapid throughput to deliver high-quality image signals to the camera's BIONZ processor, which provides intelligent response data to a new high speed actuator motor in the lens. The result is fast, DSLR-like focusing speeds even in low light.
Bright F2.0 Carl Zeiss Sonnar T lens
Carl Zeiss lens expertise meets Sony optical precision in a sophisticated large-aperture lens that earns the coveted "Sonnar" name by offering remarkable brightness reminiscent of the sun. Whether taking casual snapshots, highly precise close-ups, or seriously composed landscapes and portraits, the Carl Zeiss Sonnar T 35mm F2 fixed focal length lens ensures exceptional image quality.
- Camera Type : Cybershot
- Lens Compatibility : Fixed lens
- Lens Type : Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens, 8 elements in 7 groups (3 aspheric elements including AA lenses)
- Aperture : F2.0 - 22
- Aperture (Max.) : F2.0
- Aperture (Min.) : F22
- Digital Zoom : Still Image: 24M approx. 4x / 10M approx. 6.1x / 4.6M approx. 9.1x Movie: Approx. 4x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent) : [Still Image 3:2] f=35mm [Still Image 16:9] f=37mm [Still Image 4:3] f=48mm [Movie 4:3] f=48mm (SteadyShot On), f-37mm (SteadyShot Off) [Movie 16:9] f=44mm (SteadyShot On), f=45mm (SteadyShot Off)
- Aperture Blade : Iris diaphragm (9 blades)
- Clear Image Zoom : 2x
- Metering Modes : Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot
- Metering Sensitivity : EV 0 to 20 (at ISO100 equivalent)
- Exposure Compensation : +/- 3.0 EV, 1/3 EV step
- Exposure Settings : [Still] Superior Auto, Intelligent Auto, Program Auto (Program shift available), Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual, Scene Selection, Movie, Sweep Panorama [Movie] Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, Manual
- Scene Mode(s) : Hand-Held Twilight, Landscape, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Portrait, Sports Action, Sunset
- D-Range Optimizer : Off, Dynamic Range Optimizer (Auto / Level), Auto High Dynamic Range: Off, Auto exposure difference, Exposure difference level (1.0 - 6.0 EV, 1.0 EV step)
- Auto Exposure Lock : Yes (AE Lock button). Can be disabled from menu
- ISO : [Still Image] ISO 100-25600 (1/3 EV step, expandable to ISO 50/64/80) Auto ISO 100 - 25600, selectable with upper / lower limit Multi Frame NR: Auto (ISO 100-25600, selectable with upper/lower limit), 100-102400 (1 EV step)
- Creative Style : Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Clear, Deep, Landscape, Light, Neutral, Night Scene, Portrait, Sepia, Standard, Sunset, Vivid Contrast (-3 to +3steps), Saturation(-3 to +3steps), Sharpness(-3 to +3steps)
- White Balance Mode : Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor (Warm White) / Fluor (Cool White) / Fluor (Day White) / Fluor (Daylight) / Flash / C. Temp., Filter / Custom
- Color Temperature : 2500 - 9900K with 15-step each Magenta/Green compensation (G7 to M7), Amber/Blue (A7 to B7), Custom
- Exposure Bracketing : 3 continuous or single shots in 1/3 or 2/3 EV steps
- ISO Sensitivity (Movie) : [Movie] Auto ISO: 100 - 3200 equivalent, ISO 100-6400 equivalent (1/3 EV step)
- Picture Effect(s) : [Still Image] Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Monochrome, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, Illustration [Movie] Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Monochrome
- Media/Battery Indicator : Yes
- View & Index : Single (with or without shooting information), RGB histogram and highlight/shadow warning, 4/9-frame index view, Enlarged display mode (L: 13.6x, M: 9.9x, S: 6.8x), Auto Review (10/5/2sec, Off), Image orientation (On/Off), Slideshow, Panorama scrolling, Folder selection (still), Forward/Rewind (movie), Delete, Protect
- Imaging Sensor : 35mm full-frame (35.8mm x 23.9mm) Exmor CMOS Sensor, aspect ratio 3:2
- Processor : BIONZ image processor
- Pixel Gross : 24.7M pixels (approx.)
- Effective Picture Resolution : 24.3M pixels (approx.)
- Color Filter System : RGB primary color filters
- LCD Type : 3.0" (7.5cm) (4:3) / 1,229,000 dots / Xtra Fine / TFT LCD
- Brightness Control : Auto / Manual (5 steps) / Sunny Weather mode
- Coverage : 100% Field of View
- Live View : Continuous Live View
- Real-time image adjustment display : Yes (On/Off)
- Histogram : Yes (On/off)
- Peaking : Yes Level setting: High/Mid/Low/Off Color: White/Red/Yellow
- Grid Display : Yes (Rule of Thirds, 4x6 Square, Diagonal & 4x6 Square Grids, Off)
- Customization : Grid, Histogram display, Digital Level Gauge, Grid Line, Magnified display for playback
- Drive Mode : Single-shot, Continuous, Speed Priority Continuous, Self-timer (10/2 sec. delay), Self-timer (Cont.), Self-portrait One-person, Self-portrait Two-person, (with 10 sec. delay; 3/5 exposures), Bracketing
- Continuous Shooting Speed : Speed Priority Continuous mode: Approx. 5 fps, Continuous mode: Approx. 2.5 fps (AF-S)
- Self-timer : 10 sec. / 2 sec. / Self-portrait One-person/ Self-portrait Two-person/ Self timer Continuous (3 or 5 shots)
- Shutter Speeds : Program Auto (30 - 1/4000)/ Aperture Priority (30 - 1/4000)/ Shutter Priority (30 - 1/4000)/ Manual (Bulb, 30 - 1/4000)(Maximum speed at F5.6 or greater aperture value. Maximum speed at F2.0 is 1/2000 sec.)
- Burst Buffer : JPEG Standard (22 shots) JPEG Fine (16 shots) JPeG Extra Fine (24 shots) RAW (15 shots) RAW+JPEG (12 shots)
- Auto High Dynamic Range : Yes, (Auto Exposure Difference, Exposure difference Level (1-6 EV at 1.0 EV step), off)
- Sweep Panorama : Horizontal (Wide/Standard), Vertical (Wide/Standard)
- Face Detection : On, Off, Face Registration, Face Selection; maximum eight faces detected
- Smile Shutter technology : Smile shutter (selectable from 3 steps)
- Image Stabilization : [Still Image] Optical [Movie] Active Mode, Optical type with electronic compensation (Anti-rolling)
- Priority Setting (for Face Detection) : Yes (eight faces max)
- Media Type : Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo media; SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- Color Space : sRGB standard (with sYCC gamut) and Adobe RGB standard compatible with TRILUMINOS Color
- Still Image Mode : JPEG (Standard, Fine, Extra Fine), RAW, RAW+JPEG
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution : 24.3 Megapixels
- Still Image Size 16:9 : L:20M (6000 x 3376) / M: 8.7M (3936 x 2216) / S: 3.9M (2640 x 1488)
- Still Image Size 3:2 : L: 24M (6000 x 400) / M: 10M (3936 x 2624) / S: 4.6M (2640 x 1760)
- Panorama Still Image Size : Horizontal Standard (8192 x 1856 / 3872 x 2160), Horizontal Wide (12416 x 1856 / 5536 x 2160) 3D Sweep Panorama: N/A
- Video Format : AVCHD Ver. 2.0 / MP4 (MPEG-4 AVC (H.264))
- Video Mode : AVCHD: 28M PS (1920 x 1080, 60p) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 60i) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 60i) 24M FX (1920 x 1080, 24p) 17M FH (1920 x 1080, 24p) MP4: 12M (1440 x 1080, 30 fps) 3M VGA (640 x 480, 30 fps)
- Video Signal : NTSC color, EIA standards
- Audio Format : Dolby Digital (AC-3) / MPEG-4 AAC-LC
- Microphone/Speaker : Built-in Stereo Microphone
- Still Image File Format : JPEG (DCF Ver. 2.0, Exif Ver.2.3, MPF Baseline compliant), RAW (Sony ARW 2.3 format)
- Wind Noise Reduction : Yes (On/Off)
- Focus System : Contrast-detect AF
- Focus Points : 25 points
- AF Modes : Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual Focus
- Focus Area : Multi point AF (25 points) / Center weighted AF / Flexible spot / Flexible spot (tracking focus) / Flexible spot (face tracking)
- Flash Type : Built-in, Pop-up Auto
- Flash Metering System : Pre-flash TTL
- Flash Modes : Flash Mode: Auto / Fill-flash / Slow Sync / Rear Sync / Off Wireless (using compatible external flash)
- Flash Compensation : 2.0 EV (switchable between 1/3 EV steps)
- Flash Coverage : ISO Auto: 1' to 49' 2" (0.30m to 15.0m) (W) / 1' 9" - 18' 8" (0.55m to 5.7m) (T) ISO 12800: Up to 98' 5" (30.0m) (W) / 37' (11.3m) (T)
- Recycling Time : Approx. 3 sec.
- Guide Number : 6 (in meters at ISO 100)
- Flash Bracketing : 2.0 EV
- Memory Card Slot : Dual compatibility slot: Memory Stick PRO Duo/Pro-HG Duo/PRO-HG HX Duo media - SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- HD Output : HDMI (Type D micro)
- USB Port(s) : USB 2.0 Hi-speed (mass-storage, MTP)
- BRAVIA Sync : Yes, via HDMI with compatible BRAVIA HDTV (link menu)
- PhotoTV HD : Yes, with BRAVIA Sync enabled HDTV and HDMI cable
- Microphone Input : Yes, MI Shoe + Optional ECM-XYST1M Stereo Microphone
- Remote Commander : Yes, via RM-VPR1
- Accessory Shoe : Multi Interface Shoe
- DC IN : Yes, via AC-UB10 AC charger and USB cable
- Tripod Mount : Yes (1/4" diameter, 20 threads per inch)
- Supplied Software : Supplied Software: PlayMemories Home, Image Data Converter Version 4 (via software download from camera)
- Operating System Compatibility : PlayMemories Home: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8 (PlayMemories Home is not Mac compatible); PlayMemories Online Uploader: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Mac OS X (v10.5- v10.8); Image Data Converter Version 4.2: Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Mac OS X (v10.5- v10.8)
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.) : 4-1/2" x 2-5/8" x 2-3/4" (113.3 x 65.4 x 69.6 mm) (W/H/D) excluding protrusions
- Weight (Approx.) : With battery and Memory Stick PRO Duo Approx. 17 oz. (482 g)
- Weight(Approx) (Main unit only) : Approx. 16 oz. (453 g)
Service and Warranty Information
- Limited Warranty Term : 1 Year Parts & Labor