Capture stunning 1920 x 1080 high-definition video and 12 Megapixel still images with the HDR-CX550V, which employs an "Exmor R" CMOS sensor for superior low-light performance and 64GB of embedded flash memory. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode and 3-way Shake Canceling enables you to capture remarkably smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting
- 1920 x 1080 high definition video recording:
1920 x 1080 high definition resolution lets you record your memories in exceptional Sony Full High Definition quality. Capable of 1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.
- 12 megapixel still image capture w/ Dual Record:
12 megapixel still image capture lets you take stunning, high resolution digital photos while the Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3 MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.
- 64GB Flash memory
The built-in 64GB embedded Flash memory can record and store up to 26 hours of high definition video footage (HD LP mode), or up to 48 hours of standard definition footage (SD LP mode).
- 1/2.88" "Exmor R" CMOS Sensor
1/2.88" "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array: delivers bright, vivid, spectacularly detailed video footage, as well as 12 megapixel still images. With 6 megapixel (effective) video resolution, the image sensor actually captures video at four times the density of high definition resolution resulting in a sharper and more detailed 1920 x 1080 HD picture. In addition, "Exmor R" technology captures images with high resolution and high sensitivity, while the advanced Sony BIONZ image processor improves camera response time and screens out noise to help ensure that the signal from each pixel is as pure as possible.
- Back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor:
Experience stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain with the newly developed, back-illuminated "Exmor R" sensor. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the "Exmor R" sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light-gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lower lighting conditions.
- Optical SteadyShot w/ Active Mode (Wide to Tele)
Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.
- Wide Angle G-Lens (26.3mm) :
Experience the pinnacle of Sony lens technology with the professional-quality G Lens. Engineered for superior optical performance, Sony G lenses deliver brilliant, accurate color reproduction and sharp, amazingly detailed images. In addition, a short, 26.3mm focal length offers a broader perspective for enhanced wide angle shooting in photo mode and 29.8mm in video mode. The six bladed iris allows for superb shallow depth of field photography.
- 2x faster Quick AF
With the new and improved autofocus (AF) system, Quick AF, the focusing speed is twice as fast compared to previous models. Whether in bright daylight or in dimly lit environment, Quick AF ensures fast, accurate, and consistent focus lock, enabling users to shoot in a wide range of scenes without missing any important moment. Especially when shooting night scenes where conventional AF might struggle to focus, thanks to the much improved AF algorithm in Quick AF, users can now capture crisp images, fast.
- 1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV
1080/60p playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV providing stunning clarity and incredibly detailed playback of your memories.
- 3.5" Wide3 Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD (921K) plus viewfinder
TruBlack technology brings remarkably higher contrast and brightness to the camcorder's 3.5" Wide Xtra Fine TruBlack LCD display, delivering more natural, realistic colors and easier viewing in bright conditions by reducing glare. An adjustable .27" 3 Color Viewfinder (201k) allows you to capture video and frame your shots with the LCD closed.
- Geotagging with built-in GPS receiver & NAVTEQ maps:
A built-in GPS receiver makes the HDR-CX550V an ideal choice for travelers. The receiver gives you the ability to view your current location on the LCD map display, as well as "tag" your shooting locations. Tagged videos and still images can be reviewed and played back using the Map Index function on the camcorder or once downloaded to your PC using the supplied PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software. Additionally, the receiver automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone.
- Up to 24Mbps AVCHD2 video
The HDR-CX550V can capture video at up to 24Mbps for amazing clarity and detail, ideal for recording on to Blu-ray media since the AVCHD2 codec is highly compatible with the Blu-ray format.
- Assignable Dial (Iris/Shutter/Exposure/WB/Focus)
Get the most out of your camcorder with enhanced manual controls. The assignable dial allows for control of focus, exposure, white balance, iris, and shutter speed. Adjusting the iris lets you control depth of field, while shutter speed allows for control motion blur. There are a total of 6 settings are available:Focus, Exposure, AE Shift, WB Shift, Iris control, and Shutter speed control.
- Dolby Digital 5.1ch recording with Built-in Zoom Mic:
Dolby Digital 5.1 channel recording captures active sounds coming from all directions, so you can experience your home movies the way you experienced them while recording. The Built-In Zoom Mic focuses audio recording on your subjects in sync with the camera?s zoom lens.
- Dedicated Mic and Headphone inputs:
The HDR-CX550V features dedicated mic and headphone inputs (external microphones and headphones sold separately).
- Intelligent Auto (iAUTO)
Intelligent Auto mode goes a step beyond traditional auto modes by analyzing your shot and then automatically selecting the appropriate settings from ten distinct scene modes (90 different combinations possible): Portrait Mode, Smile Shutter, Backlight Control, Scenery, Night Scenery Mode, High Sensitivity Mode, Macro Mode, Baby Mode, Walk Detection, Tripod, and Low Light Mode.
- Face Detection Technology w/ Face Priority
With Face Priority, your camcorder optimizes focus, color, exposure, and Smile Shutter technology for the face you prioritize. Just touch the preferred face on the LCD display and the camcorder will assign it priority, even if it leaves and returns to the frame.
- Golf Shot
Building on the slow-motion capture capabilities of Smooth Slow Record, Golf Shot captures a few seconds of motion as a sequence of up to 22 still images, which can be viewed/printed individually or as a composite "sequence shot" image, perfect for analyzing the nuances of a golf swing, tennis serve, and other fast action.
- Direct Copy to External Hard Disk Drive
Store your memories in a whole new way with the ability to copy videos from your camcorder directly to an external hard disk drive (sold separately), all without a computer. Your camcorder can also access videos stored on the external hard drive for playback on your HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features.
- 10X Optical / 120X Digital Zoom
10X optical zoom helps to bring the action close up from far away. In addition, Digital Zoom Interpolation means that digital zooming (up to 120x) is clearer, with less distortion than previous types of digital zoom.
- Smile Shutter technology for still and dual capture:
Smile Shutter technology lets the camcorder automatically take still photos when your subject smiles, even while shooting high definition video. You can also set the sensitivity and choose child, adult, or auto priority.
- Power On by opening LCD display:
Power on your camcorder by simply opening the LCD display.
- Easy Playback Options
Four, easy to use Playback indexing formats allow users to easily find and playback scenes at any time Film Roll Index - scene indexes at specified display intervals, Face Index uses Face Detection technology to organize your video footage based on the faces detected in each scene, Map Index uses the GPS to easily find a desired scene based on location, and Date Indexing organizes scenes based on the time and date they were recorded.
- Highlight Playback:
Why spend hours editing your movies when you can let your camcorder do it for you? Highlight Playback uses several criteria - including Face Index, Smile Shutter technology, Dual Capture and time range - to identify and compile key scenes into a short, entertaining movie complete with music and transitions.
- Hybrid Recording to Flash memory or Removable flash media:
Hybrid recording technology delivers a new level of flexibility of capturing and transferring your video footage and digital photos from the camcorder to compatible viewing devices. Record to 64GB of internal flash memory or choose instead to record to removable flash media (sold separately). You can even select from various dubbing functions to easily copy video or still images from the HDD to the removable flash media -- without using a PC.
- Dual Record with 8.3MP still image capture:
Dual record capability lets you capture 8.3MP still images while shooting high definition video, so you can capture those special moments without having to switch recording modes.
- Includes Sony PMB (Picture Motion Browser) software:
Sony Picture Motion Browser software offers a simple, intuitive way to transfer, sort, and view your video and still images on your compatible PC. In addition, multiple output options let you burn your memories to DVD, AVCHD, and Blu-ray Disc media (sold separately), as well as take advantage of one click upload to a number of popular video and photo sharing sites (compatible PC and internet connection required).
- Smooth Slow Record:
The Smooth Slow Record mode increases the record rate from 60 frames per second (fps) to 240 fps, allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is a great tool for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight. In addition, you record an audio track to narrate the video footage.
- x.v. Color technology for superior color:
x.v. Color technology enables the HDR-CX550V to capture nearly twice (1.8x) as many viewable colors as the standard RGB color range, resulting in more natural, life-like images. You can even experience this expanded color range on the big screen when you connect your camcorder to x.v. Color capable displays, including a wide range of Sony BRAVIA HDTVs.
- BIONZ Image Processor:
The BION Image Processor works in conjunction with the "Exmor R" CMOS image sensor with ClearVid array technology for pristine imaging. The BIONZ image processor provides Data Noise Reduction, Faster Image processing, and Data compression to preserve videos and images. In addition, the BIONZ image processor enables Face Detection technology and Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer for both video and still image capture. The higher processing speed also allows Dual Recording to capture still images while recording video.
- Record and zoom controls on LCD:
The HDR-CX550V features an additional set of record and zoom buttons on the LCD screen, give you more control and flexibility when holding the camcorder, especially in overhead or low angle shots.
- BRAVIA Sync technology:
BRAVIA Sync technology offers greater ease of use in controlling compatible Sony products connected via an HDMI (CEC) connection5. HDMI connectivity provides a simple; high-quality video and audio connection, with the ability to transmit HD video and up to 5.1 channel audio directly from the camcorder to compatible HDTVs via a single HDMI cable, sold separately. With BRAVIA Sync (CEC) technology, the HDMI connection also delivers the ability to control both the camcorder and HDTV using a single BRAVIA TV remote and displays the camcorder?s playback menu on screen for easier navigation.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer:
The D-Range (Dynamic Range) Optimizer function adjusts the exposure and contrast of an image to counter the effects of high-contrast shooting condition, allowing for a great shot every time. The D-Range Optimizer suppresses "blackout" in dark areas such as shadows and "whiteout" in bright areas such as skies. As a result, the captured image appears as natural as the original scene.
- Active Interface Shoe:
The Active Interface Shoe lets you mount Intelligent Accessories, such as external lights and microphones, which can help extend the capabilities of your camcorder.
- Built-in Intelligent Flash:
For added clarity and detail when taking pictures in low-light situations, the built-in flash improves pictures and reduces shadows.
- Auto Lens Cover:
An Auto Lens Cover protects the lens when the camcorder is powered off.
- HDMI connection:
The High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a compact audio/video connector interface for transmitting uncompressed digital streams. HDMI connects digital audio/video sources such as a compatible camcorder, Blu-ray Disc player, a personal computer, a video game console, or an AV receiver to a compatible digital audio device and/or video monitor such as a digital television (DTV).
- Media card slot
For convenient storage and sharing of your images and videos, the camera accepts Memory Stick Duo / Memory Stick PRO Duo / Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo media (sold separately) and SD/SDHC/SDXC media (Class 4).
- USB 2.0 interface:
A USB 2.0 interface provides an easy way to connect your camcorder to a compatible PC for fast transfer of video and still images for editing.
- Imaging Sensor: 1/2.88" back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor
- Processor: BIONZ image processor
- Effective Picture Resolution: 4500K Pixels (16:9), 6000K Pixels (4:3)
- Media Type: 64GB Non-Removeable Flash Memory; Memory Stick PRO Duo MARK2 Media and SD/SDHC/SDXC (Class 4) media (Sold Separately)
- Still Image Mode: JPEG
- Still Image Max Effective Resolution: 12 megapixel
- Video Format: HD: MPEG4 AVC/H.264; SD: MPEG2
- Video Resolution: HD: 1920 x 1080/60i;
- Video Actual (Pixel): 4150K Pixels (16:9), 3110K Pixels (4:3)
- Video Signal: NTSC color, EIA standards
- Recording and Playback Times: 64GB Embedded Flash Memory: High Definition: FX - up to 360 min., FH - up to 465 min., HQ - up to 935 min., LP - up to 1595 min. Standard Definition: HQ - up to 965 min.
- Photo Capture from Movie: Yes
- Dual Record: 8.3 megapixel
- Audio Format: Dolby Digital 5.1
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in Zoom Microphone
- Lens Type: G Lens
- Aperture: F1.8-3.4
- Optical Zoom: 10x
- Digital Zoom: 120x
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent): Photo: 28.7 - 287mm (16:9), 26.3 - 263mm (4:3); Movie: 29.8 - 298mm (16:9), 36.5 - 365mm (4:3)
- Filter Diameter: 37mm
- Minimum Focus Distance: Approx. 320mm
- LCD Type: 3.5? Xtra Fine LCD display (921K)3 w/TruBlack technology
- Focus System: Full range Auto / Manual (Touch Panel)
- Exposure Settings: Yes (Touch Panel)
- Scene Mode(s): Auto, Twilight, Sunrise & Sunset, Fireworks, Landscape, Portrait, Spotlight, Beach, Snow
- D-Range Optimizer: Yes
- White Balance Mode: Auto, Outdoor, Indoor, One Push (via Touch panel
- Minimum Illumination: STD 11 lux at 1/60 Shutter Speed LOW LUX 3 lux at 1/30 Shutter Speed Nightshot 0 lux at 1/60 shutter speed
- Shutter Speeds: Scene Selection, 1/8-1/1500; STD, 1/60-1/1500; LOW LUX, 1/30-1/1500; Smooth Slow Rec., 1/240-1/1500
- Flash Type: Yes (Photo Mode only)
- Flash Modes: Yes (Auto/Forced/Prohibited)(Menu) (W/Menu,Anti-redeye on/Anti-red eye off)
- Flash Coverage: Approx. 0.3 - 1.5m
- Quick On: Power On by LCD
- Manual / Auto Lens Cover: Auto
- S/S & Zoom button on LCD: Yes
- Red-Eye Reduction: Yes(Menu)
- Fader Effect(s): Black, White
- Assignable Dial: Yes
- Embedded GPS: Yes
- Face Detection: Yes
- Smile Shutter technology: Yes
- Golf Shot: Yes
- Image Stabilization: Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active mode (Wide to Tele)
- Intelligent Auto: Yes (Landscape, Backlight, Twilight, Spotlight, Low light, Macro, Portrait, Baby, Walk, Tripod)
- NightShot Infrared System: Yes
- x.v.Color: Yes
- SD Output: Included (via A/V Remote Terminal) ; Video / S Video / Audio / Component Out / Remote
- HD Output: HDMI (mini)
- USB Port(s): Hi-speed (2.0 compliant)
- BRAVIA Sync: Yes
- PhotoTV HD: Yes
- Headphone Jack: Yes (Stereo Mini)
- Microphone Input: Yes
- Direct Copy: Yes
- Accessory Shoe: Yes (Active Interface Shoe)
Weights and Measurements
- Weight (Approx.): w/o battery: 15oz (440g), w battery 1lb 1oz (490g)
- Dimensions (Approx.): 2 5/8 x 3 x 5 3/4 inch (66 x 74 x 143mm)
- Battery Type: InfoLITHIUM with AccuPower Meter System (NP-FV50)
- Power Requirements: 7.2V (battery pack); 8.4V (AC Adaptor)
- Power Consumption (in Operation): 3.4W
- Supplied Software: PMB Ver.5.00 Supports Windows XP Service Pack3 (SP3)(32bit), Windows Vista Service Pack2 (SP2)(32bit/64bit), Windows 7. Not supported by Mac OS.
- Operating System Compatibility: "Windows XP SP3 /Windows Vista SP /Windows7 64-bit editions and Starter (Edition) are not supported.The Windows Image Mastering API(IMAPI)Ver.2.0 or later is required to use the function for creating discs. Starter (Edition) are not supported. Standard installation is required. Operation is not assured if the above OS has been upgraded or in a multi-boot environment."
Service and Warranty Information
- Limited Warranty Term: Limited Warranty --- 1 Year Parts; 90 Days Labor