- Super Wide-Angle Zoom 16-35mm. Perfect for dramatic landscapes, interiors and unique perspectives on everyday objects. (35mm equivalent when used with APS-C format cameras: 24-52.5mm.)
- Fast, constant aperture f/2.8. While typical zoom lenses lose maximum aperture toward the telephoto end, the SAL1635Z maintains a very fast f/2.8 across the entire zoom range for the utmost flexibility in challenging light conditions.
- World-famous Carl Zeiss optics. Carl Zeiss lenses are prized by photographic professionals. The SAL1635Z features the classic Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom lens design.
- Superb, corner-to-corner consistency. Resolution, contrast and image brightness are maintained not just at the image center, but also in the corners a hallmark of Carl Zeiss design.
- Carl Zeiss T (T-star) coatings. Internal reflections on the glass-to-air surfaces can create veiling glare, which reduces contrast and takes the life out of your pictures. The SAL1635Z overcomes this issue with the famous Carl Zeiss T coatings.
- Super low distortion. The lens minimizes field curvature even at wide angle settings.
- Short Minimum Focusing Distance. With the ability to focus as closely as 11 inches (0.28 m), this wide angle zoom lens also lets you move in for dramatic perspectives on people, natural subjects and close-up details.
- In-Camera Image Stabilization. Because Sony builds SteadyShot image stabilization into the a cameras, the SAL1635Z does what other lenses can't. This is the world's only large-aperture, full-frame capable wide-angle zoom with the benefit of image stabilization (as of Sept. 2008).
- SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor). Large, wide-aperture zoom lenses tend to have larger, heavier elements that are harder to drive in Auto Focus. Sony achieves fast, smooth, near-silent automatic focusing with the Super Sonic wave Motor. It delivers high torque, high speed and rapid start/stop response.
- Focus Hold Button. For creative control a focus hold button conveniently located on the lens barrel lets you firmly lock in focus. Focus Hold also enables image preview with the a900 D-SLR.
- Multi-Element Design. The SAL1635Z incorporates 17 elements in 13 groups for superb sharpness, speed and edge-to-edge consistency.
- Best-in-Class 0.24 Maximum Magnification. (Among super wide angle zoom full frame lenses as of September 2008).
- Super Extra-low Dispersion (Super ED) and ED glass. Newton showed that different colors bend at different angles when they pass through glass. In lenses, this causes the problem of chromatic aberration. Sony solves the problem with a Super ED and an ED glass element. You get sharp, clear images with well defined colors.
- Three aspherical elements. Fast lenses have a difficult time maintaining sharpness at maximum aperture. The SAL1635Z is amazingly fast for a 16-35mm zoom. Yet thanks to three aspherical elements, the lens achieves incredibly consistent, corner-to-corner sharpness at maximum aperture.
- Circular Aperture. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect. The lens features nine aperture blades.
- Auto Clutch. For reliable operation, the manual focus ring does not rotate in auto-focus mode.
- Supplied accessories. Carrying case, lens caps and petal shaped lens hood.
- Lens Type: Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
- Aperture (Max.): f/22
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Lens Groups-Elements: 17 elements, 13 groups
- Minimum Focus Distance: 1 foot (.28m)
- Aspheric Elements: 3(3 surface)
- Depth-of-Field: No
- Distance Encoder: Yes
- Distance Scale: Yes
- Non-rotating Focusing Ring: Yes
- Tele-converter Compatibility - 1.4x: No
- Tele-converter Compatibility - 2.0x: No
- Aperture Blade: 9 aperture blades
- Focal Length (35mm equivalent): 24-52.5mm
- Focus-hold Button: Yes
- Magnification: x0.24
Weights and Measurements
- Dimensions (Approx.): 3-3/8x4-1/2 (83x114mm)
- Weight (Approx.): 1lb 14oz (860g)
- Removable Flash Media Compatibility:
Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Vario-Sonnar T Lens
Front Lens Cap
Rear Lens Cap
Lens Hood for the SAL-1635Z 16-35mm f/2.8 Lens
Limited 1-Year Warranty