As hard drive capacities increase, the power required to run those drives increases as well. WD Caviar GP makes it possible for energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation.
- Reduced power consumption - By adjusting the rotational speed, using bigger data buffers, parking the drive's head, and optimizing how the drive seeks and caches data we have reduced the power consumption by up to 38 percent.
- Helps enable eco-friendly PCs - WD Caviar GP drives yield average drive power savings of 4-5 watts over competitors? drives making it possible for our energy-conscious customers to build systems with higher capacities and the right balance of system performance, ensured reliability, and energy conservation. This power savings equates to reducing CO2 emission by up to 13.8 kilograms per drive per year - the equivalent of taking a car off the road for 3 days each year*. By using environmentally-conscious PCs with our WD Caviar GP drives on board, large organizations with many desktop computers can minimize their carbon footprint and save real money on electricity costs.
- Perfect for "green" external drives - External USB, FireWire and Ethernet drives with WD Caviar GP drives on board can save up to $14.00 per year in electricity costs depending on the power-on-hours and power supply efficiency. See our power savings chart for details.
- As an added benefit, external drive manufacturers can eliminate the need for a fan in a high-capacity product with this drive, the coolest and quietest in it?s class.
- IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and cache size designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each GreenPower drive model, WD uses a different, invariable RPM.
- IntelliSeek - Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration.
- IntelliPark - Delivers lower power consumption by automatically unloading the heads during idle to reduce aerodynamic drag.
- Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) - Employ PMR technology to achieve even greater areal density.
- StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations. (750 GB and 1 TB only)
| ||Rotational Speed ||IntelliPower|
| ||Buffer Size ||16 MB|
| ||Start/Stop Cycles ||50,000 minimum|
| ||A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and cache size designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. |
For each GreenPower drive model, WD uses a different, invariable RPM.
| ||Read Seek Time ||8.9 ms|
| ||Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) ||3 Gb/s (Max)|
| ||Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) ||1,156 Mb/s|
| ||Formatted Capacity ||1,000,204 MB|
| ||Capacity ||1 TB|
| ||Interface ||SATA 3 Gb/s|
| ||User Sectors Per Drive ||1,953,525,168|
| ||Height ||1.028 Inches (Max)|
| ||Length ||5.787 Inches (Max)|
| ||Width ||4.00 Inches (+/- 0.010 inch)|
| ||Weight ||1.61 Pounds|
| ||Height ||26.1 mm (Max)|
| ||Length ||147 mm (Max)|
| ||Width ||101.6 mm|
| ||Weight ||0.73 kg|
| ||Operating Shock (Read) ||65G, 2 ms|
| ||Non-operating Shock ||250G, 2 ms|
| ||Idle Mode ||25 dBA (average)|
| ||Seek Mode 0 ||27 dBA (average)|
| ||Seek Mode 3 ||25 dBA (average)|
| ||Linear ||20-300 Hz, .75G (0 to peak)|
| ||Random ||10-300 Hz, 0.008 g? / Hz|
| ||Low Frequency ||5-20 Hz, 0.195 inches (double amplitude)|
| ||High Frequency ||20-500 Hz, 4.0G (0 to peak)|
| ||Power Dissipation|
| ||Read/Write ||7.50 Watts|
| ||Idle ||4.0 Watts|
| ||Standby ||0.30 Watts|
| ||Sleep ||0.30 Watts|