Expand the capabilities of the already powerful EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras* to include Wi-Fi capability** with the optional Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 accessory***. The same size and shape as an SD card, the W-E1 fits easily into the SD card slot to enable wireless communications with compatible smartphones, tablets and computers through dedicated apps. It opens up a wide range of possibilities for remote operation, including adjustment of camera settings and focus, plus shutter release for comprehensive camera control up to 32.8 feet away. Photos can be reviewed and transferred easily to a computer or compatible smart device, as can MP4 video stored on the EOS 7D Mark II. Simple to install and use, the W-E1 helps to deliver the convenience and benefits of Wi-Fi while significantly enhancing the creative potential of both you and your EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R camera.
SD card-shaped Wi-Fi accessory designed strictly for use with the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R Digital SLR cameras.
The Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is shaped like an SD card to easily insert in the SD card slot of the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras in order to provide Wi-Fi capabilities. With the W-E1 installed in the SD card slot, a CompactFlash card must be installed into the camera's dedicated CF card slot in order to record and store images. The W-E1 is currently only compatible with the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras.
Wi-Fi capability provides easy transfer of images (and videos in MP4 format for the EOS 7D Mark II camera) to a compatible smartphone or tablet, and remote still photo shooting and camera still photo setting changes.
When inserted into the SD card slot of the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R camera, the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 provides the convenience and benefits of Wi-Fi capability when paired with a compatible smartphone or tablet that has the Camera Connect mobile app installed. These Wi-Fi functions include the ability to change camera settings on the fly, shoot still images remotely, as well as view and transfer images and MP4 videos****. For fast and reliable communication, the W-E1 supports Wi-Fi standards of 802.11b/g/n at 2.4GHz with a range of up to 32.8 feet.
Provides Wi-Fi capability with a computer using EOS Utility and enables remote shooting of still photos and quick setting changes, as well as easy transfer of images and videos.
Ideal for working in the studio or on location, the W-E1 helps wirelessly enable SLR operation directly from a computer using Canon's EOS Utility software. It facilitates camera operations such as AF and setting changes as well as shutter release for still photographs, and also enables transfer of still photographs and MP4 movies stored on the camera's CF card.
* EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras that have already been purchased separately require a firmware update to utilize the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1.
** Compatible with iOS versions 8.0/8.1/8.2/8.3/8.4/9.0/9.1/9.2/9.3, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.1/4.2/4.3/4.4/5.0/5.1/6.0. Data charges may apply with the download of the free Canon Camera Connect app. This app helps enable you to upload images to social media services. Please note that image files may contain personally identifiable information that may implicate privacy laws. Canon disclaims and has no responsibility for your use of such images. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this app.
*** The Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 must be inserted into the available SD card slot. The W-E1 does not have storage and is not designed to record images. To record and store images, a CompactFlash card must be used in the dedicated CF card slot.
**** The EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras do not feature MP4 capability therefore no video transfer option is available.
1. Wireless communication may be terminated if the user operates the power switch, card slot cover, battery compartment cover or mode dial; starts Live View shooting or operates the movie shooting switch during wireless communication.
2. The communication distance for the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is approximately 32.8 feet, making it shorter than the built-in Wi-Fi communication distance of the EOS 80D camera (approx. 49.2 feet).
3. Because wireless communication speed can slow down or be interrupted when the grip is covered by a user's hand, Wi-Fi connection is not recommended while holding the grip.
4. If the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R cameras are turned on or the shutter button is pressed while only the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted, [Cannot record] will appear on the LCD monitor.
5. If the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted into any EOS camera other than the EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS or EOS 5DS R cameras (firmware V1.1.0 or later) and the power is turned on, [Card locked] or [Card error] may appear on the LCD monitor.
6. When the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 is inserted in the camera, a USB cable cannot be used to connect the camera to a Connect Station, wireless file transmitter, printer, etc. It can be used when the camera is connected to an external monitor via HDMI cable.
7. Communication with a smartphone is not available during Live View shooting or movie recording using the movie recording switch.
8. Image display may be delayed, and images may not display smoothly while using the Wi-Fi Adapter W-E1 in an area where devices that operate on the same frequency band are in use, such as Bluetooth devices, microwave ovens, cordless telephones, microphones, smartphones or other cameras.
9. Image display may be delayed, and images may not display smoothly if a person or other obstruction comes between the device you want to connect to or the access point antenna.
- EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R cameras only.
Communication with Smartphones
- Images can be viewed, controlled, and received using a smartphone. MP4 video can be viewed and saved using a smartphone with the EOS 7D Mark II camera only. Remote control of the camera using a smartphone is possible.
Remote Operation Using EOS Utility
- Remote control functions and image viewing functions of EOS Utility can be used wirelessly.
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- DS-SS modulation (IEEE 802.11b)
- OFDM modulation (IEEE 802.11g/n)
- Approx. 32.8 ft. / 10m (When communicating with a smartphone; With no obstructions between the transmission and reception antennas and no radio interference (In the general environment, image display may be delayed or images may not be displayed smoothly.)
Transmission Frequency (Central Frequency)
- Frequency: 2412 to 2462 MHz
- Channels: 1 to 11 ch
- Camera access point mode, Infrastructure (Wi-Fi Protected Setup supported).
- Authentication method: Open system, Shared key, WPA/WPA2-PSK Encryption: WEP, TKIP, AES
- 32-104 deg. F/0-40 deg. C
- 85% or less
Dimensions and Weight
Dimensions (W x H x D)
- Approx. 0.94 x 1.26 x 0.08 in. / 24.0 x 32.0 x 2.1mm
- Approx. 0.07 oz./ 2g
- One Year Warranty