The QLogic Enhanced Generation 5 (Gen 5) 16 Gb Fibre Channel (FC) Single and Dual-port Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) for Lenovo ThinkSystem and System x servers offer industry leading native FC performance with extremely low CPU usage with full hardware offloads.
Enhanced Gen 5 FC technology provides advanced storage networking features capable of supporting the most demanding virtualized and private cloud environments; while fully leveraging the capabilities of high-performance 16 Gb FC (16GFC) and all-flash arrays (AFAs). Powerful management tools automate and simplify SAN provisioning to help reduce cost and complexity; while the unmatched 16 Gbps performance eliminates potential I/O bottlenecks in today's powerful multiprocessor; multicore servers.
The QLogic Enhanced Gen 5 16 Gb FC HBAs are shown in the following figure.
The QLogic StorFusion architecture delivers ultimate reliability to meet the needs of mission-critical enterprise applications with lower power and fewer CPU cycles; all while maintaining peak performance.
The QLogic Enhanced 16 Gb FC HBAs are based on our 32 Gbps Architecture; which delivers higher IOPS and performance with lower power consumption compared to previous generation.
QLogic QConvergeConsole provides unified; single-pane-of-glass management across generations of QLogic FC adapters.
- Maximum performance with up to 1.3 million input/output operations per second (IOPS) to support larger server virtualization deployments and scalable cloud initiatives; and performance to match new multicore processors; SSDs/flash storage; and faster server host bus architectures.
- Independent function; transmit and receive buffers; an on-chip CPU; DMA channels; and a firmware image for each port enable complete port-level isolation; prevent errors and firmware crashes from propagating across all ports; and provide predictable and scalable performance across all ports.
- Support forward error correction (FEC) to enhance reliability of transmission and thereby performance.
- Industry-standard class-specific control (CS_CTL)-based frame prioritization Quality of Service (QoS) helps alleviate network congestion by prioritizing traffic for time-sensitive mission critical workloads for optimized performance.
- T10-PI data integrity with high performance offload provides end-to-end data corruption protection.
- Support for Message Signaled Interrupts eXtended (MSI-X) improves host utilization and enhances application performance.
- Fabric-assigned port worldwide name (FA-WWN) and fabric-based boot LUN discovery (F-BLD) pre-provisioning services allow servers to be quickly deployed; replaced; and moved across the SAN; the creation of zones; LUNs; and other services can be completed before the servers arrive on site.
- Using the Brocade ClearLink diagnostic port (D_Port) available on the Brocade Gen 5 switches; administrators can quickly run automated diagnostic tests to assess the health of links and fabric components.
- Read diagnostic parameters (RDP) feature provides detailed port; media; and optics diagnostics to easily discover and diagnose link-related errors and degrading conditions on any N_Port-to-F_Port link.
- Link cable beacon (LCB) enables administrators to visually identify both ends of a physical link by flashing HBA's LEDs; simplifying identification of the connection peers within server racks without tracing the cable.
- Single-pane-of-glass management across generations of QLogic FC adapters with QLogic QConvergeConsole (QCC).
- Deployment flexibility and integration with third-party management tools; including the VMware vCenter and Brocade Network Advisor.
- Support for 16 Gb; 8 Gb; and 4 Gb FC devices.
- Comprehensive virtualization capabilities with support for N_Port ID Virtualization (NPIV).
- A common driver model allows a single driver to support all QLogic HBAs on a given OS.
- Reduce the number of cards; cables; and PCIe slots required.
- Exceptional performance per watt and price/performance ratios.
- Backward compatibility with existing 4GFC and 8GFC infrastructure; leveraging existing SAN investments.
- Allow application of SAN best practices; tools; and processes with virtual server deployments.
- Ensure data availability and data integrity.
- Boot from SAN capability reduces the system management costs and increases uptime.
- Based on the QLogic QLE2690 (single port) and QLE2692 (dual port) adapters
- Host interface: PCIe 3.0 x8
- Ports: Single-port and dual-port SFP+ based adapters
- Link speed: Support for 16 Gb; 8 Gb and 4 Gb FC link speeds; which are automatically negotiated
- Data rate: 14.025 Gbps (1600 MBps); 8.5 Gbps (800 MBps); and 4.25 Gbps (400 MBps) autosensing (per port); with full duplex
- Performance: Up to 1;300;000 IOPS (up to 650;000 IOPS per port)
- Fibre Channel standards: FC-PI-5; FC-GS-2; FC-GS-3; SCSI-FCP; FCP-2; FC-TAPE
- Topology: Point-to-point and switched fabric
- Hot-pluggable 16 Gbps Fibre Channel SFP+ short wave optical transceivers (850 nm) with LC connectors (included with the adapters). Note: Other transceivers are not supported.
- Distance support:
- Operating at 16 Gbps:
- Up to 35 m on 50/125 µm OM2 Multi-Mode Fiber (MMF)
- Up to 100 m on 50/125 µm OM3 MMF
- Up to 125 m on 50/125 µm OM4 MMF
- Operating at 8 Gbps:
- Up to 21 m on 62.5/125 µm OM1 MMF
- Up to 50 m on 50/125 µm OM2 MMF
- Up to 150 m on 50/125 µm OM3 MMF
- Up to 190 m on 50/125 µm OM4 MMF
- Operating at 4 Gbps:
- Up to 70 m on 62.5/125 µm OM1 MMF
- Up to 150 m on 50/125 µm OM2 MMF
- Up to 380 m on 50/125 µm OM3 MMF
- Up to 400 m on 50/125 µm OM4 MMF
- Management software:
- The QLogic unified management application; QLogic QConvergeConsole (QCC); provides single-pane-of-glass management across generations of QLogic FC adapters.
- QLogic supports all major APIs for deployment flexibility and integration with third-party management tools; including the VMware vCenter and Brocade Network Advisor.