The Intel Ethernet Connection X722 is a network controller embedded into the Intel C624 "Lewisburg" PCH chipset of Lenovo Think System servers. The controller connects to available 10 GbE and 1 Gigabit Ethernet LAN-on-motherboard (LOM) adapter cards and onboard connectors to provide a comprehensive 1 GbE / 10 GbE networking solution for Think System customers.
Think System servers support either 10 Gb Ethernet copper or optical connections; or Gigabit Ethernet connections depending on the server model.
The following figure shows the Think System 10Gb 4-port SFP+ LOM adapter which provides four SFP+ cages for optical or direct-attach copper (DAC) connectivity.
- VXLAN/NVGRE Hardware Offloads: These stateless offloads preserve application performance for overlay networks. With these offloads; it is possible to distribute network traffic across CPU cores. At the same time; the controller offloads LSO; GSO; and checksum from the host software; which reduces CPU overhead.
- Low latency: Intel Ethernet Flow Director delivers hardware-based application steering and Intel Data Direct I/O makes the processor cache the primary destination and source of I/O data rather than main memory.
- Virtualization performance: With Intel Virtualization Technology (VT); the controller delivers outstanding I/O performance in virtualized server environments. The controller reduces I/O bottlenecks by providing intelligent offloads for networking traffic per virtual machine (VM); which enables near-line rate speeds for small packets and supports almost an unlimited amount of isolated traffic flows so that you can scale your cloud environment.
- Next-generation VMDq: The controller support up to 128 VMDq VMs and offer enhanced Quality of Service (QoS) feature by providing weighted round-robin servicing for the Tx data. The controller offloads the data-sorting functionality from the hypervisor to the network silicon; which improves data throughput and CPU usage.
- SR-IOV implementation: Provides an implementation of the PCI-SIG standard for I/O Virtualization. The physical configuration of each port is divided into multiple virtual ports. Each virtual port is assigned to an individual VM directly by bypassing the virtual switch in the Hypervisor; which results in near-native performance.
- iWarp RDMA support implements kernel bypass and direct data placement and allows for more efficient high-speed networking by eliminating queues and network related interrupts
- VM load balancing: Provides traffic load balancing (Tx and Rx) across VMs that are bound to the team interface. It also provides fault tolerance of a switch; port; or cable.
- Auto-detect (PnP) feature for the LOM adapters; enabling you to change LOM adapters (eg from a 1Gb LOM to 10 Gb LOM) and the network interface will automatically reconfigure during the boot process
- Host interface:
- PCI Power Management/ACPI Extensions
- TLP Processing Hint (TPH) Support
- MSI-X Support - up to 1168 MSI-X vectors
- Virtualization features:
- Microsoft Network Virtualization that uses Generic Routing Encapsulation (NVGRE)
- VMware Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN)
- Intel Virtual Technology (VT) with VMDq for virtualization
- VMware Net Queue and Microsoft VMQ support
- VEB enhancement
- SR-IOV support - 4 physical functions; 128 virtual functions
- Virtual Bridging Support: VEPA/802.1Qbg
- iWarp RDMA support
- Management features:
- Advanced filtering capabilities (IPv4; IPv6)
- RMON statistic counters
- Wake on LAN support (first port only)
- NC-SI for Clarity Controller (XCC) shared management port connectivity only through port 1
- Intel Prose Utility for easy configuration and management
- Additional features:
- IPv4 and IPv6 support
- Jumbo Frame Support: 9728 bytes
- VLAN support
- Flow Control
- 1588 Time Synchronization Support
- Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) support
- TCP/IP Layer 2 features
- Receive Side Scaling (RSS)
- Large Send Offload (LSO)
- TCP/UDP/IP/SCTP Checksum Offload
- IPv4; IPv6
- Supports iSCSI as an iSCSI software initiator
- Teaming support:
- Adapter Fault Tolerance (AFT)
- Switch Fault Tolerance (SFT)
- Adaptive Load Balancing (ALB)
- VM Load Balancing (VMLB)
- IEEE 802.3ad (link aggregation control protocol)
- IEEE 802.1Q VLAN support with VLAN tag insertion; with stripping and packet filtering for up to 4096 VLAN tags.
- IEEE 802.3x flow control support
- IEEE 802.1p Class of Service (CoS)/QoS
- Support for Advanced Packet Filtering
- UEFI and legacy PXE boot
- Warranty: 1 year