Sony a6500 Mirrorless Camera
When it comes to high quality cameras, people will often compare and contrast DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. For an excellent Mirrorless camera, look no further than Sony. One mirrorless camera is the Sony a6500 ILCE-6500 4K Mirrorless Camera Body w/ APS-C Sensor (Black). The Sony a6500 utilizes an APS-C image sensor with approximately 24.2 megapixels. Plus, its thin wiring layer and large photodiode substrate results in excellent light collection. It also has an outstanding autofocus, slow motion functionality, silent shooting, and even more functionality. With all the tech that’s packed into the Sony a6500, it’s easy to see why this camera is so well loved.
The Sony a6500 Mirrorless Camera has the world’s fastest auto focus speed at 0.05 seconds. This is made possible thanks to the Fast Hybrid AF's autofocusing performance in combination with the BIONZ X image processing engine. It focuses on moving subjects automatically, and if you lose track of your subject the camera can detect them once they reappear on the screen. The a6500 also has an Eye AF function that detects eyes, and focuses on them with pinpoint accuracy. This works even when using a fast lens with a fully open aperture, or when in AF-C mode. Now you’ll have outstanding tracking performance when taking photos or recording movies. The camera also utilizes high-accuracy gyro sensors to provide image stabilization and prevent camera shaking. With its internal processing power, and a higher-capacity buffer memory, it allows for up to 36 seconds of high-speed continuous shooting up to 11fps. Even recorded footage will look excellent since the a6500 can record 4K video with ease.
BuyDig.com knows the ins and outs of every Sony Camera, including the Sony a6500 ILCE-6500 4K Mirrorless Camera Body w/ APS-C Sensor (Black). Our dedicated and caring staff is always available to help consumers through the sometimes confusing buying process. If you have questions regarding the Sony a6500 Mirrorless Camera, contact us today, and see how our appreciation of shoppers leads to better deals on some of the best products on the market.
24.2 MP Exmor CMOS image sensor
The a6500 features an APS-C image sensor with approx. 24.2 effective megapixels plus thin wiring layer and large photodiode substrate for light collection efficiency. Combined with BIONZ X image processing engine, the image sensor achieves a wide sensitivity range of ISO 100-51200 with low noise. The sensor's quick-transmission copper wiring layer helps the camera to shoot movies in 4K and Full HD at 120fps (100fps).
425 phase-detection AF points with High-density Tracking AF Technology
With 425 focal plane phase-detection AF points helping to provide distinctively wide and dense AF point coverage, the a6500 focuses accurately, efficiently and reliably on subjects throughout the frame. Also, High-density Tracking AF Technology seamlessly activates AF points to cover and track subjects moving within frame with unerring precision.
Fast Hybrid AF for stills and movies
The a6500 features the world's fastest (0.05 sec.) AF speed. Such speed is achieved by integrating the Fast Hybrid AF's autofocusing performance plus the BIONZ X image processing engine's highly efficient, accurate handling of information. This makes for extraordinarily fast, accurate AF and tracking performance when shooting movies or stills. (1) Point of focus (2) Contrast-detection AF (3) Phase-detection AF
In-body 5-axis image stabilization
The a6500 compensates for five types of camera shake, extending opportunities to shoot steadier still images and movies. The new high-accuracy gyro sensor provides an image stabilization effect equivalent to a 5-steps-faster shutter speed. The camera enables you to zoom in on faraway subjects, snap detailed close-ups, capture night scenes and more - all with minimal camera shake blur. (1) Yaw (2) Pitch (3) Roll
Huge buffer for up to 307 images (over 35 seconds) in continuous shooting
Faster internal processing and a higher-capacity buffer memory now allow up to 307 images (over 36 seconds) of high-speed continuous shooting.
11fps (Hi+) continuous shooting and 8fps (Hi) live-view continuous shooting
Clearly capture moving subjects with high-speed continuous shooting at up to 11fps (Hi+). Or choose among three speeds up to 8fps (Hi), for live-view continuous shooting with very little lag on the EVF or LCD screen - it's practically as immediate as shooting with an optical viewfinder.
XGA OLED Tru-Finder
The a6500 introduces a high-contrast, high-resolution, high-visibility XGA OLED Tru-Finder. It reproduces darkness and color in very fine detail, for clear, smooth views of scenes and tracking of subjects. You can select either 120 (100fps) or 60fps (50fp) frame rate for use of this viewfinder.
Intuitive Touch Focus even with your eye to the viewfinder
Touch Focus makes focus point selection more intuitive - simply use a finger to touch the LCD touchscreen at the point of the image that you want to focus on. The Touch Pad function lets you shift the focus point smoothly by swiping a finger on the touchscreen, even while viewing the viewfinder.
4K movie recording
4K movie recording in the Super 35 mm format with full pixel readout and no pixel binning allows approx. 2.4 times as much information as is basically required for 4K (QFHD: 3840 x 2160). Data this rich is, in fact, equivalent to 6K data, so it clearly conveys exceptionally high resolution in 4K images.
High-durability shutter tested to approx. 200,000 release cycles with low vibration
Enjoy less blur from vibration and a very quiet, durable shutter tested to about 200,000 shutter releases. Added braking mechanisms near the end of the rear shutter path plus elastic material as shock absorber produce these benefits. The reduced vibration also helps optimize image sensor resolution performance.
Eye AF (AF-C compatible)
The a6500 features the Eye AF function that detects an eye and focuses on it with pinpoint accuracy even when shooting with a fast lens with aperture fully open and therefore with shallow depth of field. Eye AF also works in AF-C mode, so even if the subject moves, the wide coverage of the high-density 425-point focal plane phase-detection AF sensor maintains very accurate focus on the eyes.
This function maintains focus on a moving subject automatically. Simply align the target frame and the subject to be tracked. If you lose track of the subject, the camera can detect that subject and resume the Lock-on AF function when the subject reappears on the screen.
Focal plane phase-detection AF for A-mount lenses
The a6500 offers focal plane phase-detection AF even when an A-mount lens is mounted using a mount adaptor (LA-EA3) from Sony. So you can take advantage of the autofocus system's uniquely wide coverage provided by 425 focal plane phase-detection AF points, as well as fast, fluid tracking performance when shooting with other lenses as well as E-mount lenses. (1) A-mount lenses
Slow and Quick Motion
Up to 5x Slow Motion and up to 60x Quick Motion can be recorded at up to 50 Mbps in high-quality Full HD in camera. You can choose among eight shooting frame rates ranging from 1fps to 120fps (100fps), as well as 24p, 30p (25p), or 60p (50p) recording format. Slow Motion and Quick Motion footage can be played back after it is shot, without PC-based post-production processing.
Further advanced image processing system
The BIONZ X image processing engine is supported by newly developed front-end LSI. The image processing algorithm optimized for the image sensor enhances texture reproduction and image clarity while minimizing noise, particularly in the mid-to-high sensitivity range.
S-Gamut and S-Log shooting give you flexibility to perform color grading in post-production. The S-Log3 and S-Log2 gamma curves feature wide dynamic range (up to 1300%) to minimize whiteout and blackout. The a6500 even offers impressive 14-stop latitude in S-Log3 gamma setting. The camera also supports S-Gamut, S-Gamut3 and S-Gamut3. Cine color space from Sony.brNOTE: S-Log2 and S-Log3 are premised on processing pictures.
Gamma Display Assist and Zebra function
With Gamma Display Assist, you can view images with natural contrast while recording in S-Log gamma setting, converting S-Log2 and S-Log3 into ITU709 (800%) gamma for monitoring images, or checking focus while enlarging an image on the LCD screen or viewfinder. Moreover, Zebra function simplifies exposure monitoring, especially when shooting in S-Log gamma setting. Target a video signal brightness level from 0 to 109%, and set a range between +10 and -10% of that value; zebra pattern indicates areas with that level of exposure within that range.
AF in Focus Magnifier
You can use autofocus even while enlarging a selected image area on the viewfinder or LCD screen, for finer adjustment of focus, for example. Excellent for macro shooting, when accurate focusing is crucial.
Terminals expand connectivity
The camera supports line input from professional-standard audio devices with XLR terminal, with use of a separately sold XLR adaptor kit (XLR-K2M/XLR-K1M) that enables connection with various high-end microphones. This camera also supports clean HDMI output that allows uncompressed 4K and Full HD movies to be output to an external recorder or monitor.
Tough magnesium alloy body and robust lens mount
With internal frames, rear cover, top cover and front cover constructed of magnesium alloy, a6500 is designed for solid reliability and steady handling, as its compact form readily withstands the rigors of shooting in the field. Also, the strength and rigidity of the lens mount provide an especially solid foundation for mounting and withstanding rugged use with even large, heavy lenses such as telephoto lenses.
Dust and moisture resistance
Comprehensive dust and moisture resistance measures that help prevent water and dust from entering the body include sealing around the buttons and dials, as well as a protective double-layered structure that tightly interlocks panels and components.
Silent Shooting mode releases the shutter without a sound, even in continuous shooting up to about 3fps with AF/AE tracking, so it's very convenient for shooting indoor performances, outdoor wildlife, and in other situations where silence is essential. To turn this mode on/off more intuitively and less intrusively, assign it to a customizable button.
PlayMemories Camera Apps
Express photographs more creatively with PlayMemories Camera Apps, the application download service that lets you add new functions to your camera's feature set. Choose among Time-lapse for recording images at intervals and combining them, Smart Remote Control for control of settings from a smartphone or tablet, Sky HDR (high-dynamic-range-imaging), Star Trail, Liveview Grading, Smooth Reflection and other apps. Note: Services availability depends on region.
Location Information Link
After the camera has been paired via Bluetooth to the PlayMemories Mobile app installed on a compatible mobile phone or tablet device, it can acquire and record location data from the mobile device. The acquired location data can also be used to correct the camera's date/time and location settings. The PlayMemories Home application can then be used on a personal computer to organize on a map any still images imported into the computer.
One-touch remote/One-touch sharing
One-touch remote makes your smartphone or tablet a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to your device for social network site (SNS) sharing. Just install a PlayMemories Mobile app via Wi-Fi to your NFC-enabled Android device, then touch the device to the camera to connect them. No NFC? No problem. New QR code compatibility can also pair the devices.
- Lens Compatibility: Sony E-Mount lenses
- Lens Mount: E-Mount
- Aspect Ratio: 3:2
- Number of Pixels (Effective): Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (Total): Approx. 25.0 megapixels
- Type: APS-C type Exmor CMOS sensor
- Anti-Dust System: Charge protection coating on optical filter and image sensor shift mechanism
- Location Information Link from Smartphone: Yes
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro(M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I compliant), microSD memory card, microSDHC memory card, microSDXC memory card
- Memory Card Slot: Multi-slot reader for Memory Stick Duo/SD memory card
- Focus Type: Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensor: Exmor CMOS sensor
- Focus Point: 425 points (phase-detection AF) / 169 points (contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Mode: AF-A (Automatic AF), AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area: Wide (425 points (phase-detection AF), 169 points(contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) /Expanded Flexible Spot/ Lock-on AF ( Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- Other Features: Eye-start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached(Sold separately)), Lock-on AF, Eye AF, AF micro adjustment, (Sold separately), with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4, Predictive control, Focus lock
- AF Illuminator: Yes (with Built-in LED type)
- AF Illuminator Range: Approx. 0.3-approx. 3.0 m (with E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Viewfinder Type: 0.39 type (1.0 cm) electronic viewfinder (color), XGA OLED
- Number of Dots: 2,359,296 dots
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder): Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Color Temperature Control: Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage: 100%
- Magnification: Approx. 1.07x (35 mm camera equivalent: Approx. 0.70x) with 50 mm lens at infinity
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0-+3.0
- Eye Point: About 23 mm from the eyepiece lens, 21.4 mm from the eyepiece frame at -1
- Finder Frame Rate Selection: Yes (1x, 2x)
- Display Contents: Graphic Display, Display All Info. No Disp. Info. Digital Level Gauge, Histogram
- Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Speed: Still images:1/4000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Movies: 1/4000 to 1/4 (1/3 steps), up to 1/60 in AUTO mode (up to 1/30 in Auto slow shutter mode)
- Flash Sync Speed: 1/160 sec.
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter: Yes (ON/OFF)
- Silent Shooting: Yes (ON/OFF)
- Type: Image Sensor-Shift mechanism with 5-axis compensation (compensation depends on lens specifications)
- Compensation Effect: 5.0 steps (based on CIPA standard. Pitch/yaw shake only. With Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA lens mounted. Long exposure NR off.)
- Supplied Battery: One rechargeable battery pack NP-FW50
- Battery Life (Still Images): Approx. 310 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 350 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, Actual Recording): Movies (actual recording):Approx. 65 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 70 min (LCD monitor), (CIPA standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, Continuous Recording): Movies (continuous recording):Approx. 105 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 105 min (LCD monitor), (CIPA standard)
- Internal Battery Charge: Yes
- External Power: AC Adapter AC-PW20 (sold separately)
- Power Consumption with Viewfinder: Still images: approx. 2.8W(with E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx. 4.2W (with E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Power Consumption with LCD Screen: Still images: approx. 2.6W (with E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx. 4.2W (with E PZ 16-50 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- USB Power Supply: Yes
Size & Weight
- Weight (with battery and memory stick): Approx. 1 lb, Approx. 453 g
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 120.0 mm x 66.9 mm x 53.3 mm, Approx. 4 3/4 x 2 3/4 x 2 1/8 inches