DJI has finally announced its two Mavic Pro sequels: the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom. If you’re new to DJI’s range, the Mavic Pro is a bit like the drone equivalent of a premium compact camera, sitting in between the larger Phantoms and the point-and-shoot Spark. Here’s everything you need to know about the newest additions to DJI’s family of drones.
- Each of the new Mavic 2 models brings a ‘first’ for a DJI drone. The Mavic 2 Pro from Buydig.com comes with a one-inch Hasselblad camera.
- And as the name suggests, the Mavic 2 Zoom from Buydig.com is the first foldable drone with optical zoom, with the flipside being that it has a slightly smaller 1/2.3in sensor than its sibling.
- The Mavic 2 Pro’s Hasselblad camera has a 1-inch CMOS sensor with a 10-bit Dlog-M color profile. This means it’s promising to capture four times the color depth in each channel compared to its predecessor.
- The Mavic 2 Zoom is more like a travel compact, with its combination of a smaller, 1/2.3-inch CMOS sensor and 2x optical zoom. If you need to get closer, this can combine with 2x digital zoom to give you a 96mm telephoto lens that can shoot HD video.
- The Mavic 2 Zoom can use its optical zoom to stitch nine photos together into a 48-megapixel image.
- Both drones have the same folding mechanism and color scheme as before, with the only slight change being the smoothing of some the Mavic Pro’s sharp edges. This slightly more aerodynamic form reduces body drag by 19% and helps it reach slightly faster max speeds of 44mph in Sport mode.
- DJI has long had the best obstacle avoidance tech of any drones and both Mavic 2 drones should improve this further, thanks to the inclusion of ten sensors on all sides. This should come in particularly handy during automated flight modes such as ‘follow me’.
- The two new Mavic 2 drones are also quieter than their predecessor, with noise-reducing propellers and a quieter propulsion system.
- Both Mavic 2 drones have also gained a new Hyperlapse trick shot. The Mavic 2 Zoom can create a ‘dolly zoom’ effect, which zooms in as the drone flies away.
- Lastly, both drones have an improved flight time of 31 minutes, which trumps the battery life of the Mavic Air and Parrot Anafi.
The Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom are highly advanced professional quadcopters. The flight and camera stabilization is almost perfect. The aerial photography and video is stunning. There are so many uses for these new drones. They are perfect for all types of site surveying; 3D mapping of building and structures; creating spectacular videos for marketing of hotels, resorts and homes; search and rescue; filming sports and commercials.
DJI Mavic 2 Pro Quadcopter says
Thanks for sharing a great post. Actually these both drones are amazing to take aerial photos and videos. I’ve DJI Mavic 2 Pro Quadcopter.