In the world of Gimbal cameras DJI has made quite a name for itself. Well they are at it again improving on the wonderful gadget the Pocket 2, The DJI Osmo Pocket 3 is the third camera in the Pocket line from DJI above the DJI Pocket 2 and DJI Pocket 3. DJI’s drones, which are class leading definitely have an input with this action camera, almost making this feel like a drone mounted on a gimbal for ground use.
Previously DJI provided better features and specs than a GoPro. DJI installed a larger sensor in their GoPro-shaped Osmo Action 4, their 1-inch CMOS sensor. The DJI Osmo Pocket 3 comes equipped with that same larger sensor for high quality HDR imagery. In addition thanks to that larger sensor, the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 can easily handle harsh lighting conditions like low-light scenes. Vloggers, Content Creators, photography hobbyists, and even photography professionals will love this pocket camera.
When discussing a Vlogging camera, any professional photographer will tell you, it’s all about getting the best looking content including image stills and video recordings onto their social media site of choice. Professional Vloggers are always looking for a way to increase their subscriber base, therefore being able to upload your content in 4K 60FPS will have your video quality and image quality at the top notch level. In addition, the camera can be mounted on a mini tripod for enhanced functionality during a Vlogging session.
Let’s explore in more depth and get hands on with some of the fantastic specs and features that are found in the DJI Osmo Pocket 3.
- Powerful large 1 inch CMOS sensor to provide the ability to have every pixel shine through with vibrant sharp color. This will have your subjects skin tones clearly shine through.
- The gimbal on the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 gives the user the ability to track a subject, and gives automated panning effects. DJI’s ActiveTrack 6.0 is included, this is a technology which DJI has tirelessly worked on through their R&D and incorporated into many generations of drones with gimbal cameras. The camera can also be operated via the mimo app which will handle livestreaming too. The DJI Mimo is a an app that gives the user powerful editing tools to enhance their still image and video recordings. It comes with features like HD live view during recording, intelligent modes, DJI Mimo is a must download companion to the Osmo Pocket 3. The DJI Mimo app can also be found on your smartphones app store.
- DJI clearly had Vloggers and Content Creators in mind when crafting the Osmo Pocket 3. Thanks to the rotatable screen for vertical format streaming “Shorts” posted to social media sites like (TikTok, Instagram, YouTube Shorts) have never been easier. It is also a touchscreen for ease of use. The device can connect directly to one of DJI’s new DJI Mic 2 Bluetooth microphones for good quality sound as you live broadcast on the go.
- The creator combo pack for Osmo Pocket 3 comes with a Type-C to Type-C PD Cable, a Osmo Pocket 3 Protective Cover, a DJI Wrist Strap, a Osmo Pocket 3 Handle With 1/4′′ Thread, a DJI Mic 2 Transmitter, a DJI Mic 2 Windscreen, a DJI Mic 2 Clip Magnet, a Battery Handle, a Mini Tripod, and Carrying Bag. A worthy purchase for Vloggers.
- A USB-C port is available for connectivity and charging at the bottom of the device, if you attach a mini tripod that has compatibility for the Osmo Pocket 3, their will be a USB-C port at the bottom of that as the main port would be blocked. It’s also possible to connect the Osmo Pocket 3 to any external digital USB-C microphones that support 48K/16bit.
- You can attach a wide angle mirrorless lens to the Osmo Pocket 3 and get more of your scene in every frame. Its has a magnetic design which allows for quick, and easy attachment and detachment.
- The beautiful Oled screen will have your image quality shine through shooting video in 4k 60FPs HDR including compatibility for the HLG high dynamic range format. The HLG format is commonly used by many TV providers to provide their content in HDR. In essence, the included availability to shoot in 10-bit D-Log M and 10-bit HLG color modes record landscapes with HDR, giving the user accurate, clear and sharp details.
- The amazing flexibility is not just found on the base of the Osmo Pocket 3. Despite being on a gimbal, the lens comes equipped with several magnets and then the camera can accept ND filters or a wide-angle lens adapter. There is also the availability, as found on the Pocket 2, of an Expansion Adapter for wearing the device.
- The 950mAh Battery Handle is a little longer but can surpass the standard 166 minutes of battery life. The device and battery grip can both take a fast charge, so get up to 80% in a matter of approximately 16 minutes via the aforementioned USB-C port. Both adapters connect and disconnect with extreme ease. When disconnecting the the adapter, it will come off with a press of a central button.
- This video camera can also act as a front facing webcam thanks to it’s gimbal. Attach the camera to your computer via the USB-C port and your Skype or Zoom calls will come through showing you clearly and vibrantly. So feel free to take a selfie knowing that the image quality will be amazing. And thanks to it’s dynamic framing, the full image of the subject in the video recording will be shown clearly.
- Face auto-detect and dynamic framing assist the user in tracking objects and faces of their subjects while still having the stabilization to get a great exposure. With a three-axis mechanical stabilization, the camera view remains extremely stable even during fast action scenes.
- Weighing in at approximately 179 grams, this is a sturdy pocket camera that can be used as an action camera and is easy enough to carry around.
- You can shoot 4K video up to 120 FPS in slow motion. So the frame rate gets bumped up when shooting in this format.
- There are two physical controls located on the Osmo Pocket 3. A joystick on the left and a record/shutter button on the right which is found beneath the display. The joystick can activate the digital zoom, or pans and tilts the gimbal head.
- A MicroSD card slot is placed at the bottom of the device for memory cards to handle onboard storage of your still shots and video recordings. The camera is rated to handle MicroSD cards up to 512 GB of storage capacity.
- The Osmo Pocket 3 comes baked in with a Wi-Fi & Bluetooth module. The Osmo Pocket 3 can directly connect to two DJI Mic 2 Transmitters, so you can record multiple subject voices for the best video recording for vlogs, interviews and livestreams.
- Vloggers will love the different creative modes found on the DJI Osmo Pocket 3. Some of the creative modes of shooting include SpinShot, Motionlapse, Timelapse, digital zoom, Panorama, and much more. So you have many options to get your creative content to appear the way you want it to.
The Osmo Pocket 3 from DJI is available for purchase now. It is priced fairly at around $500.00 with all the specs and features available on this wonderful gadget.
You can also purchase different combo packs which will provide you with additional accessories, such as the windscreen, battery handle and mini tripod to name a few. Therefore we feel the full Creator Combo pack is a must have for Vloggers and content creators. Which is in directly in the wheelhouse of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3.
As a Vlogger, when in need we can always count on DJI. Whether you want the latest in drones or gimbal action cameras like the DJI Osmo Pocket 3, your image quality will surpass what you thought was capable on a pocket camera.
With the DJI Mimo App for editing your creative content and connecting for livestreaming, Vlogging even when shooting vertically has never been easier. The availability of 4K 60FPS HDR quality video recordings will have your creative content shining through with fantastic clarity and color vibrancy.
Pick up this wonderful new gadget and let’s get Vlogging!