The best date nights of the year are during the holiday season. Holidays are all about cozy environments that are filled with romantic lights and a giving spirit that fills the air with love and care. Essentially, these are the perfect ingredients for an intimate (or fun) setting that is perfect for love and friendship.
Holiday season schedules are busy with so many things that need to get done. You may find yourself not wanting to have a date night out and battle the crowds at your favorite restaurants and public gathering places like malls or theaters. This is when you stay in for date night. When your home is decorated with uplifting holiday spirit and love. And it’s pretty much a tradition to get into the holiday spirit with a movie night. So, you may as well cozy up with your favorite person in the world and make it a night to remember.
Setting the Mood
Like any other date, you’re going to want to set the mood for the type of movie date night you want to have. Atmosphere and aesthetics will set the tone. The types of holiday movies, food, and your charming demeanor will complete the personality and characteristics of your date night.
Deciding the mood for your date night should be on the top of your list of things to prepare for the date. Determining whether you want a more fun or serious atmosphere will help you figure out how to setup the evening and what movies you want to play.
Make this night special and pull out all the stops. This should not be your average stay at home to watch Christmas movies on Netflix and chill. The more you invest, the more you will be rewarded, and the person you love most in the world will notice the effort.
Now that you’re motivated and inspired to create the best environment for your date night, here are some ideas that you may find useful.
- Schedule your stay-at-home movie date night once your holiday decorations have been hung or installed. You can even plan to complete decorating while keeping in mind that you want to have at least one evening with nothing to do but enjoy being with the one you love most.
- Lights are everything and since holidays already involve many lighting decorations, you can use this to your advantage to create a romantic environment. If you have a fireplace, make sure it’s lit to add to the warm and cozy room.
- Warm and cozy usually involves fuzzy blankets and comfortable pillows. The more the marrier. You can even go the extra mile and buy some holiday themed pillow covers to help make it a more one-of-a-kind experience.
- While you’re shopping for the perfect gifts for your loved ones, you may want to pick up a few extra small gifts for this special evening. Certain themed gifts would be a great way to set the mood and enhance your evening. Gifts like fuzzy socks and ugly holiday sweaters will be a great way to uplift the spirit of holidays while adding some fun to the evening. For a more serious romantic mood you will want to get a bit more personal and intimate with your date night gift. Only you will know what special gift will make your better half’s heart melt.
- Know your movies – Knowing what movies to play will cater to your type of date. Watching movies like “The Grinch who Stole Christmas”, “National Lampoons Christmas Vacation”, and “Christmas with the Kranks” are all fun family holiday movies that will compliment a fun and playful date night. Look to Christmas classics such as Hallmark Christmas movies (which have well over a hundred to choose from) and incredible holiday story telling like “Christmas Chronicles”, for a more balanced heartwarming, serious, yet still fun type of movie night.
Food and Snacks
One of the biggest factors in your evening will be the food. If you’re the type of couple who loves to be in the kitchen, perhaps it would be the best idea to cook yourself, or even include cooking into your date. There is nothing more romantic than having a glass of wine while dancing to your favorite holiday tunes with your spouse while your favorite meal is being prepared. Whether it’s her favorite pasta carbonara, or his favorite cut of steak, a nice candle lit dinner within the wonderful holiday environment will set the tone for the evening. This will also help burn some energy and you both will be ready to relax for a few hours in front of your favorite Christmas movies.
If your schedule does not permit such a long evening, order delivery from your favorite restaurant. You can still create a pregame to your date night with some dancing, playing your favorite board games, or simply just sitting together in conversation like nothing else in the world exists. Ordering delivery will save you a lot of time and will set you up for the perfect holiday movie night.
When it comes to holiday snacks, there is no shortage of ideas. From Santa shaped cookies to candy canes, holiday snacks are plentiful and easy to find. Consider hitting up your favorite bakery to grab some holiday themed snacks for your movie night.
Setting up the Movie
As mentioned, the aesthetics are vital to creating the type of loving and fun environment for your holiday movie date night. Surely you will want to be watching on a high-quality TV with sharp pictures and vivid colors. After all, the best Christmas movies will be full of cheerful color that you can almost taste when displayed on the best televisions. Plus, many classic Christmas movies are in black and white which can be easier on the eyes when watched on a TV with a very sharp picture and contrast. If your partner in crime has had eyes on a new TV, this may be the perfect opportunity to surprise them with one.
Going in a little bit of a different direction, you can also create a very special type of movie environment utilizing a projector vs a TV. Projectors are amazing and have grown in popularity so much that many people have been switching to a projector from a TV for their homes. You can’t escape the vintage feeling of watching your favorite movies or even playing games on a projector. Now imagine the type of scene you can set for a date night using one of these. The projector vibe also matches with the aesthetics of the holiday lights and décor. Projectors are also extremely portable, so if you felt that your date would be better suited somewhere other than your family room, you can now do that.
Sound is the second most important thing when watching a movie and offers a more complete entertainment experience. A surround sound system is ideal, but if you don’t have one, consider using a few Bluetooth speakers which will also do the trick. The speakers are also a great place to decorate with lights and other holiday props.
*Decorative lights can also cause reflection in the screen making it difficult to see the film. It is good practice to check the screen from where you will be watching prior to your date to ensure there is no external lighting that pollutes the TV screen.
Embrace the Love
Remember that this is a special time of year, one that is filled with love and care, but also stress and anxiety. Sometimes less is more. Know your limitations and understand that this date night should also serve as a break from the hectic holiday schedule. Enjoy each other and embrace the love. This date night should only enhance and compliment your love.