Backpack? Check. Lunch box? Check. Safety scissors? Check. The basic school supply list to buy your young scholar, from preschool to high school and beyond. Sit down and brace yourself. It’s time to start first day of school shopping. Whether your child is starting elementary school, middle school, high school, or college, one question echoes in the minds of parents: “what school supplies does my child need to make this year a successful one?” It’s stressful, expensive, and something that never seems to get easier each year. But this year that changes. Start your shopping trip prepared with this detailed back to school list.
- Before you race to the store, find out what school supplies are required so you know which items to prioritize.
- Know the dress code or uniform policy and buy backpacks and lunch boxes in advance.
- Now’s the time to shop for clothes, backpacks, water bottles and more. Keep an eye on back to school supply deals online. Having purchases delivered to your doorstep saves you from fighting crowds and waiting in lines. Get your children involved with back-to-school shopping so they can have a say in item variety and color.
- Invite classmates over for a playdate to give your children a chance to reconnect before the first day of school.
- Tone those mental muscles with games, brainteasers and word scrambles to get your children in schoolwork mode.
- Arrange your children’s transportation. If they take the bus, be sure they know where and when to wait before and after school.
- And don’t forget to spend time together as a family before everyone gets too busy! A late-summer day trip or even a simple fun outing can lift everyone’s spirits before it’s time to buckle down.
- Get your children’s rooms and desks organized.
- Start implementing an earlier bedtime and set routine so your children are ready to rise and shine on the first day of school.
- Visit the school and locate the front office, bathrooms, classrooms, gym, playground and cafeteria. Knowing what to expect in advance can ease those first-day jitters.
Once you’re down to the wire, focus on the day-to-day details:
- Plan outfits for the first week and have backpacks packed and ready to go.
- Prep lunch ideas and make a grocery list.
- Check your children’s supplies and make sure you bought everything they’ll need.
Back-to-school supply list and guide
While your own list may vary according to your child’s age, here are some must-haves sure to come in handy:
Backpacks from Buydig.com
Lunch boxes and water bottles
Notebooks, folders and binders
Gym attire and accessories including hair ties, socks and shoes
Crayons, colored pencils, washable markers and highlighters
Index cards and sticky notes
Pens, pencils, erasers and rulers
Umbrellas and lightweight waterproof jackets
Tablets and e-readers
Laptop from Buyidg.com
Noise canceling headphones for undisturbed studying
Packaged healthy snacks
Five days before the first day of school
Take your children to get a fresh haircut for the big day.
Write down your children’s schedules, including any extra-curricular activities, in a planner and go over them.
Two days before the first day of school
Hit the grocery store to buy ingredients for sandwiches and healthy snacks for the first week of school. Let your kids tag along and pick out a favorite snack or two.
The day, or night, before the first day of school
Iron clothes and uniforms.
Prepare your children’s snacks and lunches.
Set alarm clocks so everyone wakes up on time!
First day of school
The day has finally arrived. Send your little ones, or bigger ones, to school with sweet parting words and try not to shed a tear. Summer vacation will be here again before you know it!
With this back to school list, preparing yourself and your kids for the first day of school will be a breeze this year!