Canon's Top-Range Compact Digital.
Advanced amateur photographers are a discerning group, and they've flocked to Canon's G-Series for its ability to meet and exceed their demands. The third-generation PowerShot G10 is a stunning successor, loaded with uncompromising specs like 14.7 megapixels, a 28mm wide-angle lens, and Canon's new DIGIC 4 Image Processor for notably improved face and motion detection. This is a camera that supports and nurtures creativity, with a full range of shooting and recording modes and compatibility with exciting accessories including Speedlite flashes.
14.7 Megapixel digital camera for the highest image quality.
The PowerShot G10 is equipped with a 14.7-megapixel CCD. Combined with unsurpassed DIGIC 4 image processing, this impressive pixel count delivers richly detailed photos that resonate with lifelike depth from shadows to highlights.
An important benefit to the G10's lofty pixel count is the flexibility it lends to the editing process. With 14.7 megapixels of resolution, any portion of any shot is a great candidate for enlargement. Enlarge and crop as your creative vision demands, confident that the detail you need is there for you.
High powered 5x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer plus a 28mm wide-angle lens gets you up close and personal to your subjects as well as captures more in your frame.
The camera is equipped with a long 5x optical zoom, and Canon's own Optical Image Stabilizer Technology keeps images steady and blur-free all through the zoom range - even in low light - by detecting motion and generating a corrective signal. Because it is an optical system, more corrective movement is allowed and there is no degradation of image quality.
The G10 is a highly versatile camera with a wide-angle zoom lens that reaches all the way from 28mm at the wide end to 140mm at the telephoto end (35mm format equivalent). You'll capture more image in every shot, and add greater depth to your overall photography.
New DIGIC 4 Image Processor improves Face Detection, adds Servo AF, Face Detection Self-Timer and Intelligent Contrast Correction for greater flexibility.
DIGIC 4 Image Processor
Canon's proprietary DIGIC Image Processors have long set its cameras apart from the competition, and the new DIGIC 4 sets the bar even higher. Faster, more accurate noise reduction delivers better image quality, even at high ISO speeds.
iSAPS Technology is an entirely original scene-recognition technology developed for digital cameras by Canon. Using an internal database of thousands of different photos, iSAPS works with the advanced DIGIC 4 Image Processor to improve focus speed and accuracy, as well as exposure and white balance.
A new Face Self-Timer automatically detects an increase in the number of faces and makes the appropriate adjustments. For instance, to include photographer's face in a group shot, there's no need to rush in. Just put the camera on a stand or tripod, and specify Face Self-Timer, and the camera will wait for the photographer's face to get on-camera before it takes the shot. Motion Detection now tracks moving subjects in a much larger range, and the new Servo AF retains focus on a moving subject after the shutter button is pressed halfway - allowing you to wait for the perfect shot without refocusing. Also, Face Detection and Motion Detection are markedly improved.
Intelligent Contrast Correction
DIGIC 4 also makes possible the new i-Contrast (Intelligent Contrast Correction) system, which controls the compensation level in pixel units to brighten dark areas while leaving bright areas unchanged for better images where the main subject is dark, and more natural transition. The PowerShot G10 can even use i-Contrast in playback mode to adjust images that were shot without the setting activated.
Red-eye Correction provides three options for removing red-eye from subjects in flash pictures.
1) The Red-eye Correction during shooting actually identifies and corrects red-eye in human subjects as pictures are taken.
2) The G10 can be set to automatically detect and correct red-eye during image playback.
3) You can manually locate any red eyes in a scene during image playback on the LCD screen, and command the camera to remove them.
Life doesn't give you second chances to capture special times. That's why the G10 features ISO 1600 and High ISO Auto settings that reduce the effects of camera shake and sharpen subjects in low-light situations, giving you greater shooting flexibility. ISO can be expanded to 3200 when you select ISO 3200 Special Scene mode.
Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG for the ultimate creative control.
The PowerShot G10's RAW mode lets you shoot images without JPEG compression. It gives you clearer images and complete creative control in editing. RAW images are transferred directly to the computer where they can then be edited using image adjustment software or a processing application to adjust your images as you please. The camera can also be set to allow the simultaneous recording of both RAW and JPEG images while shooting.
Also, with 26 Shooting Modes including 17 Special Scene Modes, you're ready for whatever shot comes your way.
Large 3.0-inch PureColor LCD II (460,000 dots/VGA) with even greater true-to-life color reproduction.
The PowerShot G10 gives you an extra-large 3.0-inch LCD screen for excellent control when framing your shots. But size is only part of the story. Canon's PureColor LCD II offers more spectacular color, resolution and contrast even at an angle (compared to PureColor LCD). The screen is highly durable and easy to see in any light with a scratch-resistant, anti-reflective coating. It is a perfect feature for gathering friends and family around to see your images.
A wealth of accessories including optional Speedlite flashes, an underwater housing and a Tele Converter lens.
The PowerShot G10 is compatible with the Speedlite EX series that is for all EOS series SLR cameras. Attach a Speedlite 580EX II to the hot shoe, then you can set and control the flash on the 'Flash Control' menu in the camera. With the 580EX II, the G10 is given extra functions such as autoflash metering, FE lock and Flash exposure compensation; continuous shooting with external flash. Also Canon's Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 enables you to have multiple slave flashes and wireless control. A Tele Coverter lens designed for the G10 and High-Power Flash designed for all PowerShot cameras are also available.
Print and Movie Print with select PIXMA Photo Printers and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers.
The PowerShot G10's Print/Share button makes direct printing easier than ever. Simply connect the G10 to a Canon PIXMA Photo Printer or SELPHY Compact Photo Printer or any PictBridge compatible photo printer, press the lighted Print/Share button and print! Also use the Print/Share button to transfer images to a computer (Windows and Macintosh).
Type of Camera
- Type of Camera: Compact digital still camera with built-in flash, 5x Optical/4x Digital/20x Combined Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer System
Image Capture Device
- Type: 14.7 Megapixel, 1/1.7-inch type Charge Coupled Device (CCD)
- Total Pixels: Approx. 15.0 Megapixels
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 14.7 Megapixels
- Focal Length: 6.1-30.5mm f/2.8-4.5 (35mm film equivalent: 28-140mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
- Normal: 1.6 ft./50cm-infinity
- Macro: 0.39 in.-1.6 ft./1-50cm (W)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
Viewfinder & Monitor
- Viewfinder: Real image optical zoom viewfinder
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT color LCD with wide viewing angle
- LCD Pixels: Approx. 461,000 pixels
- LCD Coverage: 100 percent
Aperture and Shutter
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (W) - f/4.5 (T)
- Shutter Speed: 15-1/4000 sec. (settable in Tv and M)
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, High ISO Auto, ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600 equivalent (Standard output sensitivity. Recommended exposure index)
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative*, Center-weighted average, Spot**
* Control to incorporate facial brightness in Face Detection AF
** Metering frame is fixed to the center
- Exposure Control Method: Program AE, Shutter Speed-Priority AE, Aperture-Priority AE, i-Contrast, Manual; AE Lock, Safety Shift, Auto ISO Shift
- Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance Control: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Flash, Underwater), Custom1, Custom2
- Built-in Flash: Auto, Auto w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash On, Flash On w/ Red-eye Reduction, Flash Off; FE lock, Safety FE, Slow Synchro, Second-curtain synchro
- Flash Range: 12 in.-15 ft./30cm-4.6m (W), 1.6-9.2 ft./50cm-2.8m (T) (when sensitivity is set to ISO Auto)
- Recycling Time: 10 sec. or less (battery voltage=7.4V)
- Flash Exposure Compensation: +/-2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Shooting Modes: Auto, P, Av, Tv, M, C1, C2, Special Scene (Portrait, Landscape, Night Scene, Sports, Foliage, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Fireworks, Aquarium, Underwater, Indoor, ISO 3200, Kids & Pets, Night Snapshot, Color Accent, Color Swap), Stitch Assist, Movie
- Photo Effects: My Colors - Vivid, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Custom
- Self-Timer: Activates shutter after an approx. 2-sec./10-sec. delay, Face Self-Timer, Custom
- Wireless Control: N/A
- Continuous Shooting: Normal: approx. 1.3 fps; AF: approx. 0.7 fps; LV: approx. 0.7 fps (Large/Fine)
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC Memory Card, MultiMediaCard, MMC Plus Card, HC MMC Plus Card
- File Format: Design rule for camera file system, DPOF Version 1.1
- Image Compression: Normal, Fine, SuperFine
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif 2.2 (JPEG)
- Movie: MOV (Image: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM (Monaural))
- Number of Recording Pixels:
- Still Image: 4,416 x 3,312 (Large), 3,456 x 2,592 (Medium 1), 2,592 x 1,944 (Medium 2), 1,600 x 1,200 (Medium 3), 640 x 480 (Small), 4,416 x 2,480 (Widescreen)
- Movie: 640 x 480 (30 fps), 320 x 240 (30 fps) available up to 4GB or 60 minutes
- Playback Modes File: Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Colors, My Category, Transition Effects, Histogram, Overexposure Warning, Index (9 thumbnails), Sound Memos, Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, RAW playback, Trimming, Resize, Image Inspection Tool, i-Contrast Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Editing, Auto Rotate, Resume
- Erase Modes
- Still Image: single image, select range, select by date, select by category, select by folder, all images
- Movie: part of movie, all of movie
- Computer Interface: USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Monaural
- Other: SD Memory card slot; direct connection to Canon CP and SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable
- Power Source:
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery NB-7L
- AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC50 (optional)
- Shooting Capacity: Still Image: approx. 400 shots (NB-7L/LCD on)*, approx. 1,000 shots (NB-7L/LCD off)
* LCD screen on. The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when fully-charged batteries are used.
- Playback Time: Approx. 600 min. (NB-7L)
- Operating Temperature: 32-104 degrees F/0-40 degrees C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90 percent
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 4.30 x 3.06 x 1.81 in./109.1 x 77.7 x 45.9mm
- Weight: Approx. 12.3 oz./350g (camera body only)