- 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS Image Sensor
- 15x Optical 4K UHD Zoom Lens with 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
- Dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- 4K UHD and Full HD Recording to Dual SD Card Slots
- Slow and Fast Motion Recording up to 120fps
- 3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD and 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder
- HDMI 2.0 Terminal with 4K UHD 60p Output Support
- Flexible Audio Inputs with Linear PCM 4-channel Support
- RC-V100 Remote Controller Support
- Compact and Lightweight Design with Detachable Handle
- Network Connections for FTP Transfer and Browser Remote (Wi-Fi Connectivity)
- Firmware Update: XF-AVC 4K UHD 60p Long GOP Recording Support
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers an outstanding combination of 4K UHD image quality, features and functionality in a compact portable design ideally suited for government, broadcast, education, corporate and event videography for cost-effective 4K UHD quality video.
1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS Image Sensor
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features a Canon 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS image sensor capable of 4K UHD video capture at 60p and slow motion recording up to 120fps in Full HD, making the XF405 camcorder a strong contender for professional productions, creative fields and more.
High Sensitivity / Low Noise
The XF400 camcorder's 1.0-inch sensor allows for larger photosites compared to smaller-sized sensors, resulting in improved images with less noise in low-light situations. The larger sensor also exhibits a shallower depth of field at large apertures, providing greater depth of field control and creative options. The camcorder's new DIGIC DV 6 imaging engine further enhances the high sensitivity and low noise performance of the camcorder.
Wide DR Gamma (800 percent) Support
For natural and realistic-looking image capture that faithfully represents the scene at hand, Wide DR Gamma achieves a wide dynamic range of 800 percent to produce almost seamless tone gradations, resulting in smooth detail, accurate color and virtually no blown-out highlights
15x Optical 4K UHD Zoom Lens with 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
The XF400 Professional Camcorder incorporates a Canon 4K video lens that leverages proprietary Canon optical technologies derived from years of experience in developing Cinema, Broadcast and EF series lenses.
Inspired by the same high level of optical precision used in Canon broadcast and photographic lenses, the Canon XF400 camcorder incorporates a Genuine Canon 15x optical zoom lens that maintains 4K UHD quality throughout the entire zoom range, and offers a focal length range of 25.5 to 382.5mm (35mm film equivalent). Users can get up to 30x Advanced Zoom when shooting in Full HD, which utilizes the XF400 camcorders full 4K UHD sensor to extend the zoom range while maintaining image quality.
5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
The camcorder features three modes of image stabilization: Standard, Dynamic and Powered. In Standard IS mode, the stabilizing angle is made constant independent of the zoom magnification. Dynamic IS mode extends the stabilizing range at the wide end of the focal length, allowing for image stabilization when shooting while walking. Powered IS mode helps facilitate stabilization in the low frequency range at the tele end, and should be used execlusively for fixed-point shooting which does not involve panning.
For enhanced versatility and durability, the lens featues a 9-blade iris, producing artistic and beautiful out-of-focus areas or bokeh. The 9 blade allow for attractive circular blurring in out-of-focus regions, while the use of an odd number of blades helps reduce flaring of specular highlights.
A compact and independent internal 3-density ND filter, using a turret (circular) mechanism, allows the user to select from three densities (ND 1/4, ND 1/16 and ND 1/64) or turn the feature off if needed. Density can be adjusted using the dedicated external buttons.
Optional Wide and Tele Accessories
The optional Wide Attachment WA-U58 and the Tele Converter TL-U58 accessories expand the creative capabilities of the XF400 camcorder.
The Wide Attachment WA-U58 offers a 0.8x wider angle of view that enables users to capture more of a scene, especially when indoors or in tight spaces, to lend better perspective to your video narrative. The Tele Converter TL-U58 provides extended 1.5x longer telephoto range for the XF400 camcorders fixed lens, allowing distant subjects to be captured with brilliant clarity.
Dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors
The XF400 Professional Camcorder incorporates Canons dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors, which are integral in providing high image quality, advanced performance and convenient operability. This advanced core technology component provides the image-processing power and speed that enables features such as 4K UHD video acquisition, image stabilization, slow and fast motion recording and precise Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Canons exclusively developed high-speed, high-precision autofocus technology. Dual Pixel CMOS AF assists not only with standard shooting, but also with 4K UHD 60p, Full HD 120p and other high-frame rate applications that require crisp frame-by-frame accuracy.
Each pixel in the camcorder's CMOS sensor is configured with two photodiodes. Two independent image signals can then be detected at each photosite. By implementing phase-difference AF, smooth focusing is accomplished with much higher speed and accuracy than was possible with previous technologies.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF with Touch Focus
The XF400 camcorder's 3.5-inch touch panel LCD enables smooth, intuitive operation of Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Accurate AF technology can be employed when shooting a scene by tapping a finger on the desired area of the scene you want the lens to focus on. Dual Pixel CMOS AF offers continuous AF within a horizontal and vertical range of the screen of approximately 80%. It also provides highly accurate Face Detection AF, which assists during single-operator shooting. Users can also use the touch panel to move the autofocus target manually.
Face Detection AF
The Face Detection AF feature has two modes, Face Priority AF and Face Only AF, that offer users precise flexibility in how they choose their autofocus for a subject or scene.
Dual Pixel Focus Guide
Utilizing information from Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Dual Pixel Focus Guide helps achieve precise focus by displaying focus assist information on the screen. It employs a truly innovative user interface that enables the user to see if they are focused in front of or behind the subject through visual observation, and allows quick and accurate manual focus to be achieved. This helps simplify the focusing process when shooting in 4K UHD, which requires strict focus accuracy.
4K UHD and Full HD Recording to Dual SD Card Slots
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) and Full HD (1920 x 1080) recording in MP4 format at up to 60p. The compact size of the MP4 codec allows the VIXIA GX10 to capture images directly to low-cost SD cards. Support for 4K UHD at 60p allows the XF405 to be used in a wide variety of shooting situations.
Dual SD Card Slots
Simultaneous or relay recording in MP4 format to the XF400 camcorder's dual SD card slots is possible. Simultaneous recording allows you to record on both SD cards at the same time, so that you can use one as a backup. Relay recording allows uninterrupted recording from one card to the other when the first memory card becomes full.
Slow and Fast Motion Recording up to 120fps
The XF400 Professional Camcorder supports slow and fast motion recording, and can record in a different frame rate from playback for slow and fast motion effects. Slow motion recording of up to 120fps (x0.2) in Full HD is supported, helping to create an emotionally moving and exciting style of video.
3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD and 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features a 3.5-inch Touch Panel LCD and a newly designed 0.24-inch Electronic Viewfinder (EVF). The Touch Panel LCD and EVF both display approximately 1.56 million dots and provide visual recognition of desired features along with a full array of menu options for controlling camcorder settings. The Touch Panel LCD works with Canon's exclusive AF technologies for easy monitoring and one-finger tap-focusing during shooting and the EVF offers 60 degrees of tilt for more comfortable operation in a variety of positions.
Intuitive Menu Design
The XF400 camcorder features an intuitive menu design for fast and accurate access to desired features. Interactive direct touching and moving from one page to another are also possible by swiping the menu screen.
The XF400 camcorder features 5 assignable buttons, in addition to touch-assignable buttons of the upper part of the LCD panel. Users can set them to the features they need.
HDMI 2.0 Terminal with 4K UHD 60p Output Support
The XF400 Professional Camcorder features an HDMI 2.0 terminal that supports 4K UHD 60p output. The HDMI 2.0 terminal allows the camcorder to be connected to a standard external SSD/HDD recorder, enabling conversion to ProRes and DNx formats for efficient editing and storage.
The XF405 Professional Camcorder features a 3G-SDI output terminal that supports camcorder integration into professional workflows, making it particularly useful for on-the-go Electronic News Gathering (ENG) applications.
Flexible Audio Inputs with Linear PCM 4-channel Support
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers a variety of ways to record audio: through two XLR terminals, an internal stereo mini-jack mic terminal or from the camcorder's internal stereo mic. In addition to AAC 2ch audio, the XF400 offers support for high-quality linear PCM 4ch audio. The on-board 4ch audio independent settings let users set recording levels, input sensitivity and limiters for each channel.
Two XLR Terminals with Independent Audio Level Control Design
Two professional XLR microphone connectors are provided on the handle unit of the XF400 camcorder. They can be controlled independently to help ensure the proper audio levels are being captured correctly.
RC-V100 Remote Controller Support
The XF400 Professional Camcorder is compatible with Canons optional RC-V100 Remote COntroller, enabling image quality adjustments and other important operations to be set from a distance. The RC-V100 plugs into the XF400 through the remote terminal on the rear panel.
Compact and Lightweight Design with Detachable Handle
The XF405 Professional Camcorder is compact and lightweight, making it especially useful for on-the-go Electronic News Gathering (ENG) and documentary production applications.
The detachable handle unit can be quickly and easily attached to the camcorder body without tools. The handle includes a zoom lever, a start/stop record button and two XLR terminals to support professional audio. The handle is also capable of mounting a mic holder and features a cold shoe that can be used to mount a variety of other optional peripherals.
Network Connections for FTP Transfer and Browser Remote (Wired and Wi-Fi Connectivity)
The XF400 Professional Camcorder offers wireless connectivity to enable recorded files to be shared and transmitted back to the station or home base via FTP for editing or live streaming.
The camcorder can also be accessed remotely from a normal web browser running on a laptop or a compatible smart device to control functions such as record start/stop, AF/MF switching, focus/zoom settings and white balance mode. Background transfer of MP4 format video files via FTP links is also possible, enabling the latest recordings to be distributed quickly over the Internet. Compatible with iOS versions 9/10, Android smartphone and tablet versions 4.4/5.0/5.1/6.0
Firmware Update: XF-AVC 4K UHD 60p Long GOP Recording Support
Firmware updates to the XF400 Professional Camcorder that are sheduled for 2018 include the addition of XF-AVC 4K UHD 60P Long GOP (4:2:0 8-bit recording.
- Standard Definition or High Definition: 4K Ultra High Definition
- Power Supply (rated) 7.4V DC (Battery Pack), 8.4V DC (DC IN)
- Video Recording System: Compressiong: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Color Sampling: 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, File Format: MP4, Recording Modes: 150 Mbps: 3840x2160 (60p/30p/24p), 35 Mbps: 1920x1080 (60p/30p/24p), 17 Mbps: 1920x1080 (60p/30p/24p), 8 Mbps: 1280x720 (60p), 4 Mbps: 1280x720 (30p)
- Audio Recording System: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (160-bit 2ch), 48 kHz
- Image Sensor: 1.0-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 13.4 megapixels (4268x3148)
- Effective Pixels: Approx. 8.29 megapixels (3840x2160)
- Maximum Recording Time:
150 Mbps: 5 min
35 Mbps: 25 min
17 Mbps: 55 min
8 Mbps: 120 min
4 Mbps: 245 min
150 Mbps: 10 min
35 Mbps: 55 min
17 Mbps: 120 min
8 Mbps: 255 min
4 Mbps: 515 min
150 Mbps: 25 min
35 Mbps: 115 min
17 Mbps: 245 min
8 Mbps: 520 min
4 Mbps: 1045 min
150 Mbps: 55 min
35 Mbps: 240 min
17 Mbps: 495 min
8 Mbps: 1055 min
4 Mbps: 2115 min
150 Mbps: 110min
35 Mbps: 485 min
17 Mbps: 995 min
8 Mbps: 2120 min
4 Mbps: 4245 min
Recording will automatically stop when it has continued for 12 hours. A variable bit rate is applicable in each case.
- Lens: Canon 15x Zoom, 8.3-124.5mm (35mm equivalent 25.5-382.5mm), f/2.8-4.5
- Focusing System: Dual Pixel CMOS AF, Contrast AF. The detection range for CMOS AF is approx. 80 percent (vertical) x 80 percent (horizontal) of the entire field of view.
- Manual Exposure: Yes
- Max Shutter Speed: 1/2000
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 10mm at wide end, 60cm across entire zooming range
- White Balance: Auto, Preset (Daylight, Tungsten), Color Temperature Settings (2,000 - 15,000K), Set (1/2)
- Frame Rate: 60p, 30p, 24p
- Minimum Illumination: P Mode: Approx. 1.7 lux (shutter speed: 1/30 sec, 60p with auto slow shutter on) Low Ligh Mode: Approx. 0.1 lux (shutter speed: 1/2 sec.)
- Genlock Terminal: No
- 3G-SDI Terminal: No
- Timecode Terminals: No
- Image Stabilization: Optical system (lens shift) w/ electronic stabilization (Image rotation and camcorder movements in the yaw and pitch directions are electronically corrected.) Modes: Dynamic IS, Powered IS, Standard IS, IS Off
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Viewfinder: 0.24-inch TFT wide color LCD, approx. 1.56 million dots, approx. 100 percent field of view
- LCD Screen: 3.5-inch wide LCD and wide view angle, wide color range supported and AR surface treatment (Approx. 1.56 million dots)
- Microphone: Stereo (using electret condenser microphone)
- Recording Media: SD/ SDHC/ SDXC Card (2 slots): MP4 movies/photos. Menu settings can also be recorded.
- USB Terminal: mini-B receptacle and Hi-Speed USB supported (output only)
- Video Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, HDMI mini connector
- Audio Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack, HDMI mini connector, headphone jack
- HDMI Terminal: HDMI mini connector
- AV Mini Terminal/ Headphone Terminal: 3.5mm stereo mini-jack
- Operating Temperature range: For Performance: Approx. 0-40 degrees C, 85 percent (relative humidity) For Operation: Approx -5 - 45 degrees C, 60 percent (relative humidity)
- Dimensions: Approx. 5.3 x 3.8 x 8.4 in / 135 x 97 x 214mm (excluding lens hood and battery pack), Approx. 5.9 x 3.8 x 10.5 in / 150 x 97 x 267 mm (including lens hood and battery pack). All dimensions exclude the grip belt
- Weight: Approx. 2.5 lbs / 1140g (body only), Approx. 3.0 lbs / 1335g (includes lens hood, Battery Pack BP-828 and 1 memory card). Grip belt included for all values.