Innovation for inspiration.
What determines when Nikon releases a full-frame flagship camera? When technological innovation demands it. Introducing the D5, an FX-format DSLR that makes the impossible possible. Huge advancements in sensor design, autofocus, metering and image processing result in thrilling new capabilities - low light shooting all the way to ISO 102,400 (expandable to an unheard of ISO 3,280,000), precise AF detection and tracking across that entire ISO range, regardless of your subject's speed or direction changes, blazing fast 12 fps continuous shooting, 4K UHD video and, of course, image quality that captures the hearts and minds of your viewers. This is not iteration, friends. This is innovation... spectacular innovation. How will it change the way you shoot?
Game-changing low light capabilities - Nikon's widest native ISO range ever
The low light performance of the D5 might make it a legend. With Nikon's widest native ISO range (100 to 102,400) and highest expanded range (up to Hi-5 ISO 3,280,000), advancements in noise reduction and color fidelity and a next-generation AF system that performs in near darkness (EV -4), a world of new shooting opportunities has opened. Capture clear, sharp images you may not have attempted before - at night, in dark reception halls, arenas and more. For surveillance and security applications, this expanded ISO range means getting a shot others can't see without a flash.
EXPEED 5, Nikon's most powerful processor ever - Masterful image quality
The sheer imaging power of the D5 is exhilarating. With its Nikon developed 20.8MP FX-format CMOS sensor, the D5 is the highest resolution full-frame Nikon flagship ever and ready for your next challenge. Nikon's superior image processor has been updated to EXPEED 5 to harness the power of this remarkable new sensor, and a second processor has been added just for autofocus. All of the exquisite detail and textures, vibrant colors and rich tonality delivered by NIKKOR lenses is captured in flawless precision, even in extreme low light. Create images that move people.
Stay on top of your game - The speed to capture decisive moments
When you hear the D5 shooting at full speed-12 fps with fulltime AF and AE, 14 fps with fixed focus and AE with mirror up - you know the game has changed. For the first time in a Nikon DSLR, a second processor is dedicated solely to autofocus operation and computing. A new shutter and mirror sequencing mechanism nearly eliminates blackout time and mirror slap for bright, consistent views during high-speed capture. EXPEED 5 and a high performance buffer handle up 200 NEF (RAW) and/or Large JPEG images during one high-speed burst - enough to cover an entire 100m sprint without taking your finger off the shutter release button. The new 180K RGB Advanced Scene Recognition System pulls it all together and ensures every shot has optimal exposure.
Capture images that defy the odds - Nikon's fastest, most accurate AF system yet
The D5 ushers in a new era of autofocus with the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module. It uses 153 focus points with 99-yes 99-cross-type sensors and a fully dedicated AF processor, and it works in near darkness (EV -4). Small subjects moving at high speed, even in low light, can be tracked with remarkable precision. The system is configurable in 153, 72 and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF. All 153 points are compatible with AF NIKKOR lenses f/5.6 or faster, and 15 central points work with an effective aperture of f/8. Whether you're shooting a high-speed race or A-listers on the red carpet, the D5 has you covered.
Moviemaking flexibility - 4K UHD video in light others wouldn't dare
For the first time in a full-frame Nikon DSLR, record 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video with dot-by-dot readout for maximum image quality. Capture 3840 x 2160 at 30/25/24p with an angle of view approx. 1.5x lens focal length, or record Full HD 1080 video at 60/30/24p. Shoot stunning 4K UHD Time-lapse, right in camera. Auto ISO handles smooth lighting transitions from ISO 200 to the sensitivity of your choice (all the way up to Hi-5). Enjoy all the professional video capabilities of D4S and D810-simultaneous external and internal recording, Flat Picture Control, Zebra Stripes, a built-in stereo microphone with 20-step increment adjustments and so much more. Combine the D5's low light capabilities and the versatility of NIKKOR lenses, and your next video project is bound to be acclaimed.
A smooth operator
Incorporating feedback from the field, the D5 is engineered to reduce the stress factors of shooting all day. Improved ergonomics and an expanded illuminated button layout put key controls at your fingertips. A high resolution XGA Touchscreen LCD with a smartphone-like interface makes it easy to select AF points or Spot White Balance in Live View, swipe through shots, pinch to zoom, edit file names and more. New double XQD card slots easily handle the camera's incredible burst shooting capacity and keep the buffer cleared. All of this in a light and durable magnesium-alloy body with extensive weather sealing.
Change your perspective
The D5 uses the versatile "F" lens mount that pros and advanced shooters have come to rely on. Use your prized NIKKOR glass to bring out the absolute best in your photos and videos. Pair the high speed of the D5 with a NIKKOR lens equipped with SPORT VR mode, like AF-S NIKKOR 500mm or 600mm f/4E, and experience unprecedented smoothness and precision. SPORT VR mode delivers a stable viewfinder image when tracking high-speed movement; even subjects moving quickly and unpredictably can be captured in stunning detail.
Ready for the future of creative lighting
The D5 is the first Nikon full-frame DSLR to incorporate control for its new radio controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system. With the optional WR-A10 (Wireless Remote Adapter) and WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller (transceiver), the D5 can control and fire up to six groups of SB-5000 Speedlights around obstacles, corners, in bright sunlight - even in another room - up to 98 feet away. Access control right from the D5's menu and shine light on yet more shooting opportunities. Of course, the D5 is also fully compatible with SB-910, SB-800 and SB-700 series Speedlights.
Shoot more and wait less with the D5's ultrafast communication system, which performs over 1.5 times faster than D4S. Transfer files over LAN at blazing speeds: approx. 400 mbps wired and 130 mbps wirelessly with the new optional WT-6A Wireless Transmitter, which supports the IEEE802.11ac standard and extends connectivity distance to 656 ft. For even faster performance, shoot in two smaller RAW sizes: RAW size S (12 bit, uncompressed) and RAW size M, both of which maintain exceptional sharpness and detail.
XQD or Compact Flash memory? Your choice.
The D5 lets you select your preference - dual XQD card slots or dual Compact Flash slots. The XQD format is designed to take advantage of the speed that the D5 can offer photographers. For instance, the Nikon D5 can shoot at 12 frames per second and can record up to 200 NEF (RAW) and/or Large JPEG images during one high-speed burst. For photographers shooting sports, action and other fast paced events or 4K UHD video, it is vital to have a media card format that can keep up with the camera. XQD is the solution.
- New 20.8MP FX-format CMOS image sensor and EXPEED 5 image processing
- Widest native ISO range ever in a Nikon full-frame DSLR: ISO 100 to 102,400 (expandable to Hi-5, ISO 3,280,000)
- Redesigned AF system with a 153 focus points, 99 cross-type sensors and a dedicated processor
- 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video recording and pro-grade video features
- 12 fps continuous shooting with full AF and AE performance; up to 200 shots in a single burst
- Type: Single-lens reflex digital camera
- Lens Mount: Nikon F bayonet mount
- Picture Angle: Nikon FX format
- Effective Pixels (Megapixels): 20.8 million
- Sensor Size: 35.9 mm x 23.9 mm
- Image Sensor Format: FX
- Image Sensor Type: CMOS
- Total Pixels: 21.33 million
- Dust-reduction system: Image sensor cleaning, Image Dust Off reference data (optional Capture NX-D software required)
- Dust-Off Reference Photo: Yes
- Image Area (pixels): FX-format (L) 5,568 x 3,712 (M) 4,176 x 2,784 (S) 2,784 x 1,856, 1:2 format (30 x 20) (L) 4,640 x 3,088 (M) 3,472 x 2,312 (S) 2,320 x 1,544, 5:4 format (30 x 24) (L) 4,640 x 3,712 (M) 3,472 x 2,784 (S) 2,320 x 1,856, DX-format (L) 3,648 x 2,432 (M) 2,736 x 1,824 (S) 1,824 x 1,216, Photographs taken during movie recording at a frame size of 3,840 x 2,160: 3,840 x 2,160, FX-format photographs taken during movie recording at a frame size of 1,920 x 1,080 or 1,280 x 720: (L) 5,568 x 3,128 (M) 4,176 x 2,344 (S) 2,784 x 1,560, DX-format photographs taken during movie recording at a frame size of 1,920 x 1,080 or 1,280 x 720: (L) 3,648 x 2,048 (M) 2,736 x 1,536 (S) 1,824 x 1,024, Photographs taken during movie recording at a frame size of 1,920 x 1,080 crop: 1,920 x 1,080
- File Format Still Images: JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression, NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats, NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed, compressed, or uncompressed; large, medium, and small available (medium and small images are recorded at a bit depth of 12 bits using lossless compression), TIFF (RGB)
- Storage Media: CompactFlash (CF) (Type I, compliant with UDMA), XQD Type Memory
- Card Slot: 2 XQD memory type cards or 2 CompactFlash (CF) cards
- File System: Compliant with DCF (Design Rule for Camera File System) 2.0, EXIF 2.3 (Exchangeable Image File Format for Digital Still Cameras), PictBridge
- Viewfinder: Eye-level Pentaprism Single-Lens Reflex Viewfinder
- Viewfinder Frame Coverage: FX (36x24): 100 percent Horizontal and 100 percent Vertical (Approx.), 1.2x (30x20): 97 percent Horizontal and 97 percent Vertical (Approx.), DX (24x16): 97 percent Horizontal and 97 percent Vertical (Approx.), 5:4 (30x24): 97 percent horizontal and 100 percent vertical (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Magnification: 0.72x (50 mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1.0 m-1) (Approx.)
- Viewfinder Eyepoint: 17 mm (-1.0 m)
- Viewfinder Diopter Adjustment: -3 to +1m
- Focusing Screen: Type B BriteView Clear Matte Mark IX screen with AF area brackets (framing grid can be displayed)
- Reflex Mirror: Quick-return type
- Mirror Lock Up: Yes
- Lens Aperture: Instant-return type, Electronically Controlled
- Depth-of-field Control: Pressing Pv button stops lens aperture down to value selected by user (A and M modes) or by camera (other modes)
- Lens Compatibility at a Glance: AFS or AF lenses fully compatible, Metering with AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only)
- Compatible Lenses: AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E, and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and DX lenses (using DX 24 x 16 1.5x image area), AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses (A and M modes only).Electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports 15 focus points with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster, of which 9 points are available for selection). IX NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF, and non-AI lenses cannot be used.
- Shutter Type: Electronically controlled vertical-travel focal-plane mechanical shutter, Electronic front-curtain shutter available in mirror up release mode
- Shutter Speed: 1/8000 to 30 sec. in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV, Bulb, Time, X250
- Fastest Shutter Speed: 1/8000 sec.
- Slowest Shutter Speed: 30 sec.
- Flash Sync Speed: Up to 1/250 sec., Synchronizes with shutter at 1/250s or slower
- Bulb Shutter Setting: Yes
- Shutter Release Modes: Continuous low-speed (CL) mode, Continuous high-speed (CH) mode, Mirror-up (Mup) mode, Quiet Shutter Release, Self-timer Mode, Single-frame (S) mode
- Continuous Shooting Options: CH: Up to 10-12 frames per second, CL: Up to 10 frames per second, Quiet Continuous Mode: Up to 3 frames per second
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution: 12 frames per second, 14 frames per second with mirror up
- Self-timer: 2, 5, 10, 20 sec.; 1 to 9 exposures at intervals of 0.5, 1, 2, or 3 sec., Timer duration electronically controlled
- Exposure Metering System: TTL exposure metering using approximately 180K (180,000) pixels RGB sensor
- Metering Method: Center-weighted: Weight of 75 percent given to 12 mm circle in center of frame. Diameter of circle can be changed to 8, 15, or 20 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 12-mm circle), Matrix: 3D Color Matrix Metering III (type G, E, and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering III (other CPU lenses); Color Matrix Metering available with non-CPU lenses if user provides lens data, Spot: Meters 4 mm circle (about 1.5 percent of frame) centered on selected focus point, Highlight-weighted: Available with type G, E, and D lenses; equivalent to center-weighted when non-CPU lens is used
- Metering Range: -3 +/- 20 EV (Matrix or center-weighted metering), 0 to 20 EV (Highlight-weighted metering)
- Exposure Meter Coupling: Combined CPU and AI (collapsible meter coupling lever)
- Exposure Modes: Aperture-Priority (A), Manual (M), Programmed auto with flexible program (P), Shutter-Priority Auto (S)
- Exposure Compensation: +/-5 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
- Exposure Bracketing: 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 or 1 EV
- Exposure Lock: Luminosity locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
- Picture Control: Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, User-customizable Settings, Vivid
- ISO Sensitivity: ISO 100 - 102,400, Can also be set to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, or 1 EV (ISO 50 equivalent) below ISO 100 or to approx. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 EV (ISO 3,280,000 equivalent) above ISO 102,400; auto ISO sensitivity control available
- Lowest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 100
- Highest Standard ISO Sensitivity: 102,400
- Lowest Expanded ISO Sensitivity: Lo-1 (ISO 50 equivalent)
- Highest Expanded ISO Sensitivity: Hi-5 (ISO 3,280,000 equivalent)
- Expanded ISO Sensitivity Options: Lo-1 (ISO 50 equivalent), Hi-1 (ISO 204,800 equivalent), Hi-2 (ISO 409,600 equivalent), Hi-3 (ISO 819,200 equivalent), Hi-4 (ISO 1,638,400 equivalent), Hi-5 (ISO 3,280,000 equivalent)
- Long Exposure Noise Reduction: Yes
- High ISO Noise Reduction: Low, Normal, High, Off
- Active D-Lighting: Auto, Extra High 2, Extra High 1, High, Normal, Low, Off
- D-Lighting Bracketing: 2 frames using selected value for one frame, 3-5 frames using preset values for all frames
- Single-point AF Mode: Yes
- Dynamic AF Mode: Number of AF points: 25, 72 and 153 (3D-tracking)
- Auto-area AF Mode: Yes
- Autofocus System: Nikon Advanced Multi-CAM 20K autofocus sensor module with TTL phase detection and fine-tuning, and 153 focus points (including 99 cross-type sensors and 15 sensors that support f/8), of which 55 (35 cross-type sensors and 9 f/8 sensors) are available for selection
- Detection Range: -4 to +20 EV (ISO 100, 68 degrees F/20 degrees C)
- Lens Servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous-servo AF (AF-C); auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A); predictive focus tracking activated automatically according to subject status, Manual focus (MF): Electronic rangefinder can be used
- AF-area Mode: 25, 72, or 153 point Dynamic-area AF, Auto-area AF, Single-point AF, 3D-tracking, Group-area AF
- Focus Lock: Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing the center of the sub-selector
- Focus Modes: Continuous-servo (AF-C), Face-Priority AF available in Live View only and D-Movie only, Full-time Servo (AF-A) available in Live View only and D-Movie only, Manual (M) with electronic rangefinder, Normal area, Single-servo AF (AF-S), Wide area
- Maximum Autofocus Areas/Points: 153
- Autofocus Sensitivity: -4 to +20 EV (ISO 100, 20 degrees C/68 degrees F)
- Autofocus Fine Tune: Yes
- Flash Bracketing: 2 to 9 frames in steps of 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1 EV
- X-Sync Speed: 1/250
- Top FP High Speed Sync: Up to 1/8000
- Flash Control: TTL: i-TTL flash control using RGB sensor with approximately 180K (180,000) pixels; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR is used with matrix, center- weighted, and highlight-weighted metering, standard i-TTL fill-flash for digital SLR with spot metering
- Flash Sync Modes: Auto FP High-Speed Sync supported, Front-curtain sync (normal), Rear-curtain sync, Red-Eye reduction, Red-Eye reduction with slow sync, Slow rear-curtain sync, Slow sync
- Flash Compensation: -3 to +1 EV in increments of 1/3, 1/2 or 1 EV
- Flash-ready Indicator: Lights when optional flash unit such as SB-5000, SB-910, SB-900, SB-700, SB-400, SB-300 or SB-R200 is fully charged
- Accessory Shoe: Yes
- Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS): CLS Supported
- Flash Sync Terminal: Yes
- White Balance: Auto (3 types), Choose color temperature (2500K?10000K), Cloudy, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Fluorescent (7 types), Incandescent, Preset manual (up to 6 values can be stored, spot white balance measurement available during live view), Shade
- White Balance Bracketing: 2 to 9 exposures in increments of 1, 2 or 3 EV
- Live View Shooting: Photography Live View Mode with available Silent Mode, Movie Live View Mode
- Live View Lens servo: Autofocus (AF): Single-servo AF (AF-S); full-time-servo AF (AF-F), Manual focus (MF)
- Live View AF-area mode: Face-priority AF, Wide-area AF, Normal-area AF, Subject-tracking AF
- Live View Autofocus: Contrast-detect AF anywhere in frame (camera selects focus point automatically when face-priority AF or subject-tracking AF is selected)
- Movie Metering: TTL exposure metering using main image sensor
- Movie Maximum recording time: 3 minutes at high quality only for 4K UHD 3840 x 2160/24/25/30p recording, 10 minutes at highest quality or 20 minutes at normal quality setting for 1920 x 1080/50/60p recording, 20 minutes at highest quality for all recording options except 4K UHD, 1920 x 1080/50/60p and 640 x 424/25/30p, 29 minutes 59 seconds at normal quality for all recording options except 4K UHD, and 1920 x 1080/50/60p
- Movie File Format: MOV
- Movie Video Compression: H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding
- Movie Audio recording format: Linear PCM
- Movie: 4K UHD 3,840x2,160 / 30 fps, 4K UHD 3,840x2,160 / 25 fps, 4K UHD 3,840x2,160 / 24 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 60 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 50 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 30 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 25 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 / 24 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 crop / 60 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 crop / 50 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 crop / 30 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 crop / 25 fps, Full HD 1,920x1,080 crop / 24 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 60 fps, HD 1,280x720 / 50 fps, Actual frame rates for 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p are 59.94, 50, 29.97, 25, and 23.976 fps respectively, High quality available at all frame sizes, normal quality available at all sizes except 3,840 x 2,160
- Movie Audio: Built-in microphone, stereo, External stereo microphone (optional), Microphone sensitivity can be adjusted
- Monitor Size: 3.2 in. diagonal
- Monitor Resolution: 2,359,000 Dots
- Monitor Type: Wide Viewing Angle Touch TFT-LCD (Touch for playback only)
- Monitor Angle of View: 170 degree wide viewing angle
- Monitor Adjustments: Brightness, 5 levels
- Virtual Horizon Camera Indicator: Yes, Also visible in LiveView Modes, Also visible in Viewfinder
- Playback Functions: Auto Image Rotation, Full-frame and thumbnail (4, 9, or 72 images), GPS data display, Highlights, Histogram Display, Image Comment, IPTC information embedding and display, Movie Playback, Movie Slideshow, Photo Information, Playback with Zoom, Slideshow, Voice Memo
- In-Camera Image Editing: Color Balance, D-Lighting, Distortion Control, Edit Movie, Filter Effects, Image Overlay, Monochrome, NEF (RAW) Processing, Perspective Control, Red-Eye Correction, Resize, Side-by-Side Comparison, Straighten, Trim
- Image Comment: Yes
- Interface: 10-pin RemoteTerminal, HDMI output: Type C mini-pin HDMI connector, Headphone Connector, Stereo Microphone Input 3.5mm, SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0 Micro-B connector); connection to built-in USB port is recommended, Ethernet: 1000 Base-T (Gigabit) Wired LAN
- Wi-Fi Functionality: WT-5A, WT-6A,
- GPS: GP-1A GPS unit
- Save/Load Camera settings: Yes
- Total Custom Settings: 64
- My Menu: Yes with customization
- Recent Settings: Yes
- Supported Languages: Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Date, Time and Daylight Savings Time Settings: Yes, The camera clock is powered by a separate, non-rechargeable CR1616 lithium battery with a life of about two years.
- World Time Setting: Yes
- Battery / Batteries: EN-EL18a Lithium-ion Battery
- Battery Life (shots per charge): 3,780 shots (CIPA), Movies: Approx. 110 minutes of HD footage
- AC Adapter: EH-6b AC Adapter, Requires EP-6 Power Supply Connector
- Battery Charger: MH-26a Quick Charger
- Tripod Socket: 1/4 in.
- Approx. Dimensions (Width x Height x Depth): 6.3 in. (160 mm) x 6.3 in. (158.5 mm) x 3.7 in. (92 mm)
- Approx. Weight: 49.6 oz. (1,405 g) with battery and two XQD memory cards but without body cap and accessory shoe cover, 49.9 oz. (1,415 g) with battery and two CompactFlash memory cards but without body cap and accessory shoe cover
- Operating Environment: 0-40 degrees C (+32-104 degrees F), Less than 85 percent (no condensation)
This Kit Includes:
D5 20.8MP FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body (CF Version)
Nikon D5 20.8MP FX-Format Digital SLR Camera Body (CF Version)
Our Price: $6,496.95