Take control of the lighting in your stills and HD videos.
As you master your camera, you begin to look at lighting in an entirely new way. No longer is proper exposure your only goal - now you can use shadows and brightness to add a sense of depth, an artistic characteristic to your photos and HD videos. A first for Nikon Speedlights, the SB-500 AF Speedlight is a compact, lightweight i-TTL Speedlight and LED video light that gives you total control of the light around you. Whether you're looking for extra illumination during HD video recording, a wireless off-camera flash to use along with your camera's built-in commander mode, another Nikon Speedlight like the SB-700 or SB-910 or the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander or just an advanced and versatile - yet simple to use - Nikon Speedlight, the SB-500 AF Speedlight is a bright idea.
Simple operation, advanced performance
Compact, lightweight and multifunctional
The SB-500 AF Speedlight has simple controls - just a few buttons - and it operates on two AA batteries; yet, it offers the performance of an advanced Speedlight. Its powerful and has wide coverage with a guide number of 24/78.7 (ISO 100, m/ft) with 24mm coverage in FX-format and 16mm coverage in DX-format. Its head rotates 180 degrees left and right and tilts 90 degrees upward allowing you to bounce light off nearby surfaces to soften the light and shadows, creating more flattering portraits. If your camera has a Commander Mode, it can even be used wirelessly off-camera along with your camera's built-in flash for greater illumination power from interesting angles.
Brighten up your HD video
High-performance LED for video recording
The SB-500 AF Speedlight is also a versatile video light especially well suited for recording interviews up close. It has a built-in high-intensity LED light (approx. 100 lux) that provides steady, uniform daylight-balanced illumination. It can be used at three output levels - quarter, half or full power - making it practical for low-light video shooting and close up still photography. And when used with the D810 or D750, the SB-500 AF Speedlight communicates LED color information (along with that of the flash) to the camera for optimal white balance.
Power, ease and versatility
Nikon i-TTL technology
Nikon's i-TTL technology (intelligent Through-The-Lens) tailors the characteristics of the flash to each shot you take, so you get optimal results every time. With that intelligence and more illumination power than a camera's pop-up flash, the SB-500 AF Speedlight is excellent as a fill-light outdoors (brightening shadowy areas on your subject) or for soft bounce lighting indoors. Use it off-camera wirelessly as a second flash controlled by either your camera's built-in flash (if your camera has a Commander Mode), another Speedlight or the SU-800 Wireless Speedlight Commander. If you're using D810 or D750 in Commander Mode, the SB-500 AF Speedlight will also work as a master flash in Advanced Wireless Lighting.
- Commander Function: Yes
- Remote Function: Yes
- Guide Number: 24m/78.7ft. (at ISO 100)
- Electronic Construction: Automatic Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor (IGBT) and series circuitry
- Flash Exposure Control: i-TTL Balanced Fill-Flash with CLS compatible cameras
- Lens Coverage: 24 mm lens (FX format) or 16 mm lens (DX format)
- Other Available Functions: Test Firing, Monitor Pre-flashes, Modeling flash (LED)
- Bounce Function (Tilt): Flash head tilts up to 90 degrees with click-stops at 0 degrees, 60 degrees, 75 degrees, 90 degrees.
- Bounce Function (Rotate): Flash head rotates horizontally 180 degrees to the left and right with click-stops at 0 degrees, 30 degrees, 60 degrees, 75 degrees, 90 degrees, 120 degrees, 150 degrees, 180 degrees
- Minimum Recycling Time: 3.5 sec. (approx.) with Ni-MH batteries / 4.0 sec. (approx.) with Alkaline-manganese (1.5V) batteries
- Flash Duration: 1/1100 sec. at M 1/1 (full) output
- Required Power Source: 2 AA-size batteries of the same brand from any of the following types: 1.5V LR6 (AA-size) alkaline batteries, 1.2V HR6 (AA-size) rechargeable Ni-MH batteries
- Flash-ready Indicator: Fully recycled - lights up, Warning indication - flashes slowly
- Ready Light: Back
- Flash Compensation: Available via camera settings
- Minimum Number of Flashes / Recycling Time: 100/4.0-30 sec. (Alkaline-manganese batteries), 140/3.5-30 sec. (Ni-MH batteries)
- Wireless Flash Modes: Commander / Remote
- Wireless Communication ChannelsL: 4 channels for Commander mode; 1 channel for Remote mode
- Wireless Groups: Two: A, B
- Other Functions: Firmware update, Thermal cut-out, LED light with three level brighness for close-up photography, modeling light or recording movies - maximum output: approx. 100 lx at 1 m (3.3 ft.), high power
- Dimensions: 2.6 x 4.5 x 2.8 in. (67 x 114.5 x 70.8mm) (Approx.)
- Weight (Approx. without batteries): 8 oz. (226 g)
In the box:
- SB-500 AF Speedlight
- SS-DC2 Soft Case
- AS-23 Speedlight Stand
This Kit Includes:
SB-500 AF Speedlight Flash (4814B) - Factory Refurbished
Nikon SB-500 AF Speedlight Flash (4814B) - Factory Refurbished
Our Price: $139.99