The EOS R6 full-frame mirrorless camera is designed to meet the demands of both photographers and video content creators who want a strong and versatile camera to keep up with their active lives. It can go from photographing high-speed action sports to filming 4K cinematic video with ease thanks to its high-performance CMOS sensor and DIGIC X image processor.
The EOS R6 features the same base image sensor and image processor as the EOS-1DX Mark III, enabling a native ISO range of 100-102, 400. With high-speed continuous shooting of up to 12 fps with the Mechanical shutter and up to 20 fps with Electronic "silent" shutter, the EOS R6 can keep up with just about any fast moving subject. Combined with the new Dual Pixel CMOSAF II system with approx. 100% coverage of the frame, and 1,053 Automatic AF Zones, the EOS R6 will confidently follow elusive subjects at 20fps for sharp images. Tracking subjects is easy and intuitive with the ability to track people using Eye, Face and Head Detection AF, or when tracking the whole body, face or eye of cats, dogs, or birds with Animal Detection AF. With the new 5-axis In-Body Image Stabilizer, up to 8-stops of shake correction is possible with both non-stabilized and optically image-stabilized lenses, opening up many more creative opportunities for incredibly stable lower light photo or video content creation. Those looking for creative cinematic video options will appreciate frame rates including 4K 60P and Full HD 120P with the option of internally recorded 4:2:2 10-bit Canon Log or HDR-PQ recording. And the inclusion of Dual SDXC UHS-II card slots combined with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® allows for multiple transfer and automatic backup options, making the EOS R6 ready when you are.
• NEW Image Sensor & Processor
• Up to 20fps Silent Shutter
• Up to 12fps Mechanical Shutter
• 4K UHD recording at up to 60fps
• In-Body Image Stabilization
• Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
• Dual Card Slots
• image.canon Cloud Service
High Image Quality featuring a 20 Megapixel Full-frame CMOS Sensor
Featuring a Canon-developed 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with approx. 20 effective megapixels, the EOS R6 camera is engineered with an imaging system, designed to capture sharp and detailed images, even in low-light scenarios. Dark portions of an image even at high ISO speeds, and increased sensitivity are rendered with lower noise. While the high-speed image capture rate of EOS R6's accelerating frame-to-frame shooting performance. The sensor also includes Dual Pixel CMOS AF II for high-speed, precise AF during Live View still and movie recording.
DIGIC X Image Processor with an ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 204800.
DIGIC X Image Processor
The EOS R6 camera features a powerful DIGIC X Image Processor, enabling high-performance operation and coordination or processes such as Dual Pixel CMOS AF II, Image Stabilization, image processing, and video functionality. Powerful all around, the DIGIC X Image Processor helps ensure your photos and videos look sharp and high resolution with minimal noise or grain.
ISO range of 100-102400; Expandable to 204800
Featuring an ISO range of 100-102400 (expandable to 204800), the EOS R6 camera delivers high standard and expanded ISOs (for still images), and a score of Auto ISO options to help enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. The EOS R6 camera has an extended ISO range that contributes to its ability to excel in nearly every situation it faces.
High-Speed Continuous Shooting of up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter and up to 20 fps Electronic (Silent) Shutter.
Up to 20 fps Electronic (Silent) Shutter
Especially helpful for wildlife photography, journalism and situations where photographers need to remain discrete, the EOS R6 camera features a selectable electronic (silent) shutter mode, and can capture images at up to 20 fps. With a fast AF/AE system, DIGIC X image Processor and high-speed recording with new Dual card slots, the EOS R6 helps ensure that camera operations are performed quickly and precisely.
Up to 12 fps with Mechanical Shutter
Delivering incredible performance at speeds of up to 12 fps, the EOS R6 camera can capture the split-second details between a subject’s movements. This is great for dynamic action photos such as athletes, animals or vehicles in motion.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF II covering Approx.100% Area with 1,053 AF Areas.
High-speed Focusing with Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
The EOS 6 camera’s highly responsive Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system features an incredible 1,053 Automatic AF zones that can be designated as auto-focus focal points (when Face + Tracking priority AF is selected). This ensures higher-precision than has been seen in previous EOS cameras and enables the camera to execute consistent and impressive autofocus tracking of the subject. Fast action can be captured and focus can be maintained with speed, accuracy and ease.
AF Area Coverage of Approx. 100% x 100%
The EOS R6 camera features an expansive focus area of approx. 100% horizontal and 100% vertical^2 when working with compatible RF and EF lenses. This means fast and impressive focusing even when composing your subject far from the center of the frame.
EV -6.5 Low-light Autofocus
Amazing for night time photography or in very low-light indoor settings, the EOS R6 camera’s brilliant AF can operate in light as dim as a light rating of EV -6.5 a first in an EOS mirrorless camera - where other AF systems may fail or search. Phenomenal AF is achieved even when using lenses with high F numbers. This ultra-sensitive AF works together with the EOS R6’s EVF to clearly capture subjects even when light is limited. Combined with the EOS R6 camera’s remarkable low-light AF performance, still and video shooting is possible even in dark situations in a variety of places and occasions.
Subject tracking of People and Animals using Deep Learning Technology.
Head and Eye Detection
The EOS R6 brings head and eye detection to a new level. Even in situations where a camera may struggle to detect a subject, the EOS R6 can locate and a person’s head, face or eye when people detection is set, allowing ease and accuracy when capturing videos or still images, or while in Live View mode.
Animal detection is possible with the EOS R6 camera. Developed using Deep Learning Technology, the EOS R6 can effectively track the whole body, face, or eye of cats, dogs, or birds for speed and precision – regardless of the animal’s size, posture, or orientation of the face.
4K up 60fps, 1080p up to 120fps 10-bit 4:2:2 with Canon Log or HDR PQ, Internal Recording in all Formats, with Auto Focus.
Powered by the DIGIC X image processor, the EOS R6 is designed with the video content creator in mind. With oversampled UHD 4K recording at up to 60fps, Full-HD 1080p recording at up to 60fps and Full-HD High-frame rate recording at up to 120fps, the EOS R6 is a versatile camera with options for a variety of different shooting scenarios. Featuring internally recorded 4:2:2 10-bit H.265 Canon Log recording, and 4:2:2 10-bit H.265 HDR PQ recording, regardless what your timeline for delivery may be, advanced users will find EOS R6 capable of capturing confidently even during challenging high-contrast exposure situations. Moreover, over sampled UHD 4K 4:2:2 10-bit video signal at up to 60fps can be output from the HDMI port with a choice of either Picture Style, Canon Log or HDR PQ format, the output can be recorded to another device externally, or the footage can be viewed on an HDR PQ compatible TV. Additionally high-end features such as Interval Timer, 4K Time-Lapse mode, Mic and Headphone jacks, and Zebras are available to provide advanced-level control and versatility to the video content creator.
In-body Image Stabilization can provide up to 8 stops of Shake Correction
The EOS R6 camera features Canon's new 5-axis IBIS (In-Body Image Stabilizer). This will not only help enhance the ability to hand-hold still images at slower shutter speeds but it will also help to reduce camera shake when recording movies. Additionally, the EOS R6 camera’s In-Body Image Stabilizer will work in combination with Lens-based Optical Image Stabilizers found in many Canon RF and EF lenses.
Built-in 0.5” 3.69 Million Dots OLED EVF with 120fps refresh rate, Vari-angle LCD Touchscreen.
0.5-type OLED EVF with Approx. 3.69 Million Dots
The EOS R6 camera features a high-precision 0.5-inch OLED (Organic Light-Emitting Diode) EVF with approx. 3.69 million dots and a 23mm eyepoint. The EOS R6’s EVF supports a 120 fps refresh rate^1 and has been created to provide a bright, sharp and colorful 100% view of the subject at hand. Displaying a bright image and extensive shooting information that rotates with the camera's orientation when changing from Landscape to Portrait composition.
Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD
The EOS R6 camera features a 3.0-inch, Clear View LCD II Vari-angle Touchscreen LCD. Its extensive flexibility makes it easy to compose and shoot from virtually any angle, making selfies simple and enabling the LCD to fold away when not in use. The brightness of both the EVF and the LCD monitor can evenbe adjusted separately. Touchscreen features include settings, reviewand even AF point selection.
Dual UHS-II SD Memory Card Slots
Taking advantage of its compact body, the EOS R6 camera has dual card slots for UHS-II SD memory cards. Both slots are capable of burst shooting of approx. 20MP still images, at speeds of up to 20 fps, as well as internal recording of 4K 60p movies.
Built-in Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth® Technology.
Built-in Wi-Fi® Capability
The EOS R6 camera is designed to make using Wi-Fi®^ connectivity fast and easy. It can transfer files directly to a compatible smart device using the free Canon Camera Connect app. Simply connect to the Camera Connect app where you can browse, or download images to your smart device, then share and upload from the device directly to various social media sites and web services.
Bluetooth® connectivity offers continuous connection, and allows the EOS R6 camera to automatically connect to a compatible smart device that is paired with the Canon Camera Connect app. This allows a number of functions from easy image transfer to remote shooting, to adding GPS*1 information to your photos and videos and more.
image.canon is a cloud service designed to ease your imaging workflow, whether you are a professional, enthusiast, or casual user. Connecting the EOS R6 camera to the image.canon service will allow photographers to seamlessly upload all images and movies in their original format and quality, and access them from the dedicated app or through a web browser and automatically forward them to a computer, mobile device, and third party services.
Enhanced Operating Controls.
Designed to allow users to operate customizable camera functions while looking through the electronic view finder, the EOS R6 camera features a joystick button located on the back of the camera that makes it easy for the user to adjust autofocus point location, navigate menus, and toggle settings.
Main Dial and Quick Main Dials 1 & 2
With its compact body size, the EOS R6 camera features a three dial User Interface in the main dial, quick control dial 1 and quick control dial 2 which provide direct control over the traditional exposure controls such as Shutter Speed, Aperture, and ISO and are fully customizable to the users’ preference.
High-Capacity Battery Pack LP-E6NH
For increased power and the convenience of compatibility among multiple cameras, the EOS R6 camera uses Battery Packs LP-E6NH, and has backwards compatibility with previous LP-E6-series batteries that have been equipped with cameras such as EOS 5D Mark IV,and EOS R (may lose some functionality, cannot charge via USB). Especially helpful for photographers with multiple EOS cameras, the Battery Pack LP-E6NH is a robust, long-lasting battery that helps deliver power, shot after shot.
Comfortable and solid in the hand, the EOS R6 camera features a rigid yet light weight magnesium alloy chassis that enhances body durability while shielding the camera from electromagnetic radiation and heat. It also has a tempered front panel for internal rigidity.
The EOS R6 camera has a durability rated at approx. 300,000 cycles and a full-frame focal-plane shutter that offers approx. 12 shots/sec.
Dust-& Water-resistant Sealing
The EOS R6 camera is designed for use in a variety of weather conditions. Sealing materials are used in critical areas like the buttons, terminal covers, the battery compartment and the card slot cover. Precise design and construction help to minimize accidental penetration of dust and moisture in the rest of the camera body.
Digital interchangeable lens, mirrorless camera
(Two) SD card slots
- Compatible with UHS-II
- Eye-Fi cards and Multimedia cards (MMC) are not supported.
Canon RF lens group (excluding EF, EF-S and EF-M lenses)
When using Mount Adapter EF-EOS R: Canon EF or EF-S lenses (excluding EF-M lenses)
Canon RF mount
CMOS sensor (compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF)
Approx. 20.1 megapixels
Approx. 36.0 x 24.0 mm
Approx. 6.56 µm square
Approx. 21.4 megapixels
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Installed in front of the image sensor, non-detachable
Dust Deletion Feature
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
- Removes dust adhering to the low-pass filter.
- At power off only / Enable / Disable. Performed automatically (taking about approx. 2 sec. as indicated on the screen) or manually (taking about approx. 8 sec. as indicated on the screen).
- After manually activated cleaning, the camera will automatically restart (Power OFF to ON).
- When [Multi Shot Noise Reduction], [Multiple exposures], or [HDR mode] is set, [Clean now] and [Clean manually] cannot be selected.
- Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the EOS software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- Not available with EF-S lenses, in cropped shooting or multi-exposure shooting.
- Manual cleaning (by hand)
Compliant to Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 and Exif 2.31*.
*Supports time difference information in Exif 2.31.
JPEG, HEIF, RAW / C-RAW (CR3), C-RAW (Canon original) ; Movies: ALL-I (Time-lapse video only), IPB, MP4
The following file numbers can be set:
- File numbering methods
- Continuous numbering
- The numbering of captured images continues even after you replace the card.
- Auto reset
- When you replace the card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new SD card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
- Manual reset
- Resets the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
RAW + JPEG / HEIF Simultaneous Recording
Simultaneous recording of any combination of RAW/C-RAW and JPEG/HEIF image-recording quality is supported.
Selectable between sRGB and Adobe RGB
- Fine Detail
- User Defined 1-3
- In Scene Intelligent Auto, [Auto] will be set automatically.
- [Standard] is the default setting for [User Def. 1-3].
- Auto (Ambience priority/White priority)
- Day Light
- Tungsten light
- White fluorescent light
- Custom (Custom WB)
- Color temperature
* Effective also in twilight and sunset.
Auto White Balance
Option between ambience priority and white priority settings, using SET button
White Balance Shift
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
OLED color electronic viewfinder
Approx. 100% vertically and horizontally relative to the shooting image area (with image quality L, at approx. 23mm eyepoint).
Magnification / Angle of View
Approx. 0.76x / Approx. 35.2 degrees (with 50mm lens at infinity, -1 m-1)
Approx. 23mm (at -1 m-1 from the eyepiece lens end)
- Maximum burst
- Possible shots/Sec. until self-timer shoots
- Focus Bracketing/ Multiple-exposure/HDR shooting/Multi Shot Noise Reduction/Bulb time/Interval timer
- Shooting mode
- AF method
- AF operation
- Image quality
- Drive mode
- Metering mode
- No. of remaining shots for focus braketing, multiple exposures, or interval timerv
- Electronic level
- Movie recording time available
- Battery level
- Image Stabilizer (IS mode)
- Histogram (Brightness/RGB)
- Quick Control button
- Anti-flicker shooting
- White balance/White balance correction
- Picture style
- Auto Lighting Optimizer
- Still photo cropping / Aspect ratio
- AF point (1-point AF)
- View Assist
- HDR PQ
- Flash ready / FE lock / High-speed sync
- Electronic shutter
- Touch shutter / Create folder
- AE lock
- Shutter speed / Multi-function lock warning
- Aperture value
- Wi-Fi function
- Wi-Fi signal strength
- Bluetooth function
- Exposure simulation
- Magnify button
- ISO speed
- Highlight tone priority
- Exposure compensation
- Exposure level indicator
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
Number of AF zones available for Automatic Selection
AF area: Horizontal: Approx. 100% x Vertical: Approx. 100%
(100% x 100% AF coverage in Face Detect + Tracking AF; coverage can vary, depending upon lens being used)
Stills: Max. 1053 zones (39 x 27)
Movies: Max. 819 zones (39 x21)
Selectable Positions for AF Point
AF area: Horizontal: Approx. 90% x Vertical: Approx. 100%
Stills: Max. 6072 positions (92 x 66)
Movies: Max 4968 positions (92 x 54)
AF Working Range
EV -6.5 to 20 (f/1.2 lens*, center AF point, One-Shot AF,at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100
* Except RF lenses with a Defocus Smoothing (DS) coating.
Focusing brightness range (in movie recording)
EV -5 to 20 (f/1.2 lens*, center AF point, One-Shot AF,at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100
* Except RF lenses with a Defocus Smoothing (DS) coating.
Available AF Detection zones
||9 x 9
|Large Zone AF: Vertica
||Max. 9 x 21
|Large Zone AF: Horizontal
||Max. 31 x 9
|Face+Tracking (Auto selection with nothing detected)
||Max. 39 x 27
- Selects the eye closer to the camera (as detected from the angle of the face).
- At the same distance from the camera, selects the eye closer to the center of the image.
- Can be selected by touch.
- Can be selected with the Multi-controller.
Real-time metering with image sensor (384 [24x16] metering zones)
- Evaluative metering (AF point-linked)
- Partial metering (approx. 5.8% of the area at the center of the screen)
- Spot metering (approx. 2.9% of the area at the center of the screen)
- Center-weighted average metering
EV -3 - 20 (at 73°F/23°C, ISO 100)(Still Photo Shooting)
- Scene Intelligent Auto
- Flexible-priority AE (Fv)
- Program AE (P)
- Shutter-priority AE (Safety shift possible) (Tv)
- Aperture-priority AE (Safety shift possible) (Av)
- Manual exposure (M)
- Custom shooting mode C1, C2, C3
||±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
||±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
- Auto AE lock
User-set AE lock
- The metering mode for AE lock after focus can be customized.
- In the Fv, P, Tv, Av and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
- Enabled in all metering modes.
Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter
- Electronic first curtain
- Mechanical shutter
- Electronic shutter*
* Cannot be used in conjunction with the following functions: flash photography, HDR shooting, multiple exposures, Multi Shot Noise Reduction, AEB, HDR PQ, anti-flicker shooting, Dual Pixel RAW shooting, Digital Lens Optimizer [High].
* A shutter release sound is not generated. However, note that the sounds other than the shutter release sound (aperture, focusing lens drive sound/electronic sound, etc.) may be generated.
* In electronic shutter shooting under conditions such as flash firing by other cameras or with fluorescent lighting or other flickering light sources, a strip of light or banding due to the brightness difference may be recorded in the image.
When [Mechanical] or [Elec. 1st- curtain] is set: 1/8000-30 sec, bulb
When [Electronic] is set: 1/8000-0.5 sec.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. delay, 2-sec. delay
Still Photo IS
In-body IS operation can be selected when using a non-IS lens.
- Always on
- Only for shot (no stabilization in viewfinder/LCD screen between shots)
Ambience priority, standard, flash priority
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
Continuous flash control
- E-TTL each shot
- E-TTL locked after first shot in sequence
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
3.0-inch (screen aspect ratio of 3:2)
2.95 in./7.5cm diagonal (2.44 in./6.2cm width, 1.65 in./4.2cm height)
Approx. 1.62 million dots
Approx. 100% vertically/horizontally
Manually adjustable to one of seven brightness levels
Supported for AF Point selection; Touch AF; Touch Shutter; Menu selection; Quick Control Menu; Magnified view
Clear View LCD II
- Anti-smudge coating applied.
- Anti-reflection coating not applied.
29 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Ukraine, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Hindi, Romanian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Malay, Indonesian, Japanese)
The white areas with no image data will blink.
Brightness and RGB
The Quick Control screen is accessed by pressing the Quick Control button during still photo shooting.
- Single image (select image)
- Select range
- All images in folder
- All images on card
- Image browsing and image search can be based on ratings.
- Ratings-based image selections also possible with DPP.
- All found images (only during image search)
Except protected images
- Select images to erase
- Select range
- All images in folder
- All images on card
- All found images (only during image search)
Compliant to DPOF Version 1.1
Dial direction during Tv/Av; Control ring rotation direction; Customize buttons; Customize dials
|AE lock button
|AF point button
|Depth of field preview button
|Lens AF stop button
|LCD panel illumination button
|Quick control dial 1 & 2
My Menu Registration
• Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered.
• Up to five My Menu tabs can be added.
|My Menu tab overall operations
|| • Adding a tab
• Deleting tabs in a batch
• Deleting all tab items
• Setting the menu display
|My Menu tab detailed operations
|| • Selecting a registered item
• Sorting registered items
• Deleting selected registered items
• Deleting registered items in a batch
• Deleting tabs
• Changing a tab name (16 ASCII characters)
Equivalent to SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1)
- For PC communication
- Terminal type: USB Type-C
- Shared with terminal for in-camera charging with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
- In-camera Charging: Equivalent to USB type-C (5 V/1.5 A), but use should be restricted to USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
HDMI Out Terminal
HDMI micro OUT terminal Type D (Resolution switches automatically) / CEC not compatible
- Images can be displayed through the HDMI output and on screen at the same time.
- Images will not be displayed unless [NTSC] or [PAL] is properly set according to the video system of the TV set.
3.5mm diameter stereo mini jack
Compatible with 3.5mm diameter stereo mini-plug
Canon LP-E6NH battery pack (also compatible with LP-E6N and LP-E6 battery packs)
- With the AC Adapter AC-E6N + DC Coupler DR-E6, AC power is possible.
- With the USB Power Adapter PD-E1, in-camera charging of LP-E6NH is possible. The USB Power Adapter PD-E1 is not compatible with powering the camera.
Optional Battery Grip
Compatible with Canon Battery Grip BG-R10
(Accepts one or two LP-E6NH, LP-E6N, or LP-E6 battery packs)
Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned ON.
Displayed in 5 levels in viewfinder, and on LCD screen.
Battery info display in Set-up Menu:
- Remaining capacity percentage
- Shutter count, on current battery charge
- Recharge performance (battery's ability to hold charge; displayed in 3 levels)
Approx. 0.4 sec.
- Based on CIPA testing standards.
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 5.45 x 3.84 x 3.48 in. / 138 x 97.5 x 88.4mm
Based on CIPA standards.
Approx. 1.5 lbs. / 680g (including battery, SD memory card; without body cap)
Approx. 1.3 lbs. / 598g (body only; without battery, card or body cap)
Working Temperature Range
32-104° F / 0-+40° C
85° or less