The ThinkServer TS460 is a tower server that has been optimized to provide enterprise-class features to growing small-to-medium-sized businesses; retail stores and distributed enterprises.
Scalability and performance
The ThinkServer TS460 offers numerous features to boost performance; improve scalability and reduce costs:
- The Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v5 improves productivity by offering affordable single-socket system performance with 4-core processors with up to 3.7 GHz core speeds and up to 8 MB cache.
- Intelligent and adaptive system performance with Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows processor cores to run at maximum speeds during peak workloads by temporarily going beyond processor thermal design power (TDP).
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology boosts performance for multithreaded applications by enabling simultaneous multithreading within each processor core; up to two threads per core
- Intel Virtualization Technology integrates hardware-level virtualization hooks that allow operating system vendors to better use the hardware for virtualization workloads.
- Up to four 2133 MHz DDR4 ECC UDIMMs provide speed and capacity of up to 64 GB.
- The server offers PCI Express 3.0 I/O expansion capabilities that increase the theoretical maximum bandwidth by almost 100% (8 GTps per link using 128b/130b encoding) compared to the PCI Express 2.0 (5 GTps per link using 8b/10b encoding).
- With Intel Integrated I/O Technology; the PCI Express 3.0 controller is integrated into the Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v5 product family. Such integration reduces I/O latency and increases overall system performance.
- Up to 16x 2.5-inch; or 8x 3.5-inch; or a combination of 8x 2.5-inch and 4x 3.5-inch hot-swap (HS) drive bays; including support for 2.5-inch SSDs in a 3.5-inch conversion tray; provide flexible internal storage configurations and capacity
- The use of solid-state drives (SSDs) instead of; or along with; traditional spinning drives (hard disk drives or HDDs) can significantly improve I/O performance.
Availability and serviceability
The ThinkServer TS460 provides many features to simplify serviceability and increase system uptime:
- The server supports UDIMM memory with ECC protection which provides error correction not available in PC-class "servers" that use parity memory. Avoiding system crashes (and data loss) due to soft memory errors means greater system uptime.
- Tool-less cover removal provides easy access to upgrades and serviceable parts; such as memory and adapter cards.
- A choice of affordable onboard SATA RAID or advanced hardware RAID redundancy offers data protection and greater system uptime.
- The use of SSDs can provide better reliability than the use of traditional HDDs; for greater uptime
- Built-in ThinkServer Management Module (TMM) continuously monitors system parameters; sends alerts and enables administrators to perform remote recovery actions to minimize downtime.
- The ThinkServer Diagnostics software speeds up
- troubleshooting tasks to reduce service time.
- One-year or three-year customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and onsite limited warranty with next business day response. Optional service upgrades are available.
Manageability and security
Powerful systems management features simplify local and remote management of the ThinkServer TS460:
- ThinkServer Management Module monitors server availability and enables administrators to perform remote management
- An integrated industry-standard Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) enables improved setup; configuration and updates and simplifies error handling.
- The ThinkServer Easy Startup tool simplifies the process of configuring RAID and installing supported Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems; VMware hypervisors and device drivers on a ThinkServer system.
- Optional Trusted Platform Module (TPM) enables advanced cryptographic functionality; such as digital signatures and remote attestation.
- Administrator's and power-on passwords help protect from unauthorized access to the server.
- Optional server locks such as a padlock; cable lock; or lockable front cover help prevent unauthorized access to the internal components of the server and the intrusion switch (select models) informs about the removed or improperly installed server cover.
The ThinkServer TS460 offers the following energy-efficiency features to save energy; reduce operational costs; increase energy availability and contribute to a green environment:
- 80 PLUS Gold-certified power supplies enable greater energy savings while providing flexibility to meet your business needs
- The ThinkServer Power Planner tool provides information about the power consumption and electric current calculation for the different configurations of servers and other devices; which helps plan deployment of servers and devices in an efficient way.
- Intel Intelligent Power Capability powers individual processor elements on and off as needed; to reduce power draw.
- Tower or 5U rack-mount (4U chassis mounted on a 1U shelf)
- One processor: Intel Xeon processor E3-1200 v5 product family with four cores up to 3.7 GHz; 8 MB cache and up to 2133 MHz memory speed; Intel Core i3 processor 6100/6300 product families with two cores up to 3.9 GHz; up to 4 MB cache and 2133 MHz memory speed; or Intel Pentium processor G4400/G4500 product families with two cores up to 3.6 GHz; 3 MB cache and up to 2133 MHz memory speed.
- Four DIMM sockets. Support for ECC UDIMMs. DIMM speeds up to 2133 MHz
- Capacity Up to 64 GB with four 16 GB UDIMMs.
- Error-correcting code (ECC) memory.
- The following drive bay configurations are available: 4x 3.5-inch non-hot-swap SATA drive bays; 4x 3.5-inch (standard) + 4x 3.5-inch (optional) hot-swap SATA drive bays; 8x 2.5-inch (standard) + 8x 2.5-inch (optional) hot-swap SATA drive bays; 4x 3.5-inch (standard) + 8x 2.5-inch (optional) hot-swap SATA drive bays
- 1x M.2 SSD connector
- 3.5-inch non-hot-swap drives: NL SATA HDDs up to 12 TB
- 3.5-inch hot-swap drives: SAS HDDs (2.5-inch HDD in a 3.5-inch tray) up to 1.8 TB; NL SAS HDDs up to 8 TB; NL SATA HDDs up to 12 TB; SATA SSDs (2.5-inch SSD in a 3.5-inch tray) up to 3.84 TB
- 2.5-inch hot-swap drives: SAS HDDs up to 1.8 TB; Nearline (NL) SATA HDDs up to 2 TB; SATA SSDs up to 3.84 TB; M.2 SSD up to 128 GB.
- Intermix of SAS/NL SAS and SATA HDDs and SSDs is supported within a system; but not within a RAID array.
- 3.5-inch non-hot-swap drives: Up to 48 TB with 4x 12 TB NL SATA HDDs
- 3.5-inch hot-swap drives: Up to 64 TB with 8x 8 TB NL SAS HDDs; Up to 96 TB with 8x 12 TB NL SATA HDDs; Up to 14.4 TB with 8x 1.8 TB SAS HDDs; Up to 30.7 TB with 8x 3.84 GB SATA SSDs
- 2.5-inch hot-swap drives: Up to 32 TB with 16x 2 TB NL SATA HDDs; Up to 28.8 TB with 16x 1.8 TB SAS HDDs; Up to 61.4 TB with 16x 3.84 GB SATA SSDs
- 6 Gbps SATA: Non-RAID with the onboard SATA controller. RAID 0; 1; 10 and 5 with ThinkServer RAID 121i (Onboard software RAID feature).
- 12 Gbps SAS/6 Gbps SATA: RAID 0; 1; 10 with ThinkServer RAID 520i. Optional RAID 5; 50 upgrade. RAID 0; 1; 10; 5; 50 with ThinkServer RAID 720i. Optional RAID 6; 60 with cache.
Optical drive bays
- Two without a backup drive or one with a backup drive. Support for DVD-ROM or DVD-RW.
Backup drive bays
- One. Support for the optional RDX or LTO-6 backup drive.
- 2x GbE (10/100/1000 Mbps) RJ-45 ports (Intel I210); Port 1 is a shared port for management and data.
- 1x GbE (10/100/1000 Mbps) dedicated management port (RJ-45) for TMM.
I/O expansion slots
- Slot 1: PCIe 3.0 x4 (x4-wired); full-height; full-length
- Slot 2: PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16-wired); full-height; full-length
- Slot 3: PCIe 3.0 x1 (x1-wired); full-height; half-length
- Slot 4: PCIe 3.0 x8 (x8-wired); full-height; half-length
- Front: 2x USB 3.0 ports.
- Rear: 4x USB 3.0 ports; 1x DB-15 VGA port and 1x DB-9 serial port.
- Internal: 1x USB 2.0 port for RDX backup drive.
- One fixed 300 W AC (100 - 240 V) power supply (80 PLUS Bronze) or up to two redundant hot-swap 450 W AC (100 - 240 V) power supplies (80 PLUS Gold).
- HDDs and SSDs (select models); power supplies (select models)
- UEFI; system LEDs; ThinkServer Management Module (TMM) (also known as Baseboard Management Controller [BMC]; based on ASPEED AST2400) with remote presence (graphics; keyboard and mouse; virtual media); ThinkServer Easy Startup; ThinkServer Diagnostics and ThinkServer Power Planner. Optional Lenovo XClarity for discovery; inventory; monitoring and events.
- Power-on password; administrator's password; Intrusion Switch (select models); lockable front door; security-lock slot and padlock loop. Optional Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 or 2.0.
- Graphic adapter with 16 MB memory integrated into the ThinkServer Management Module. Maximum resolution is 1920x1200 at 60 Hz.
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016; Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Server 6 and 7; SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 11 and 12; VMware vSphere (ESXi) 6.0 and 6.5.
- One-year or three-year (model dependent) customer-replaceable unit (CRU) and on-site limited warranty with 9x5 next business day (NBD).
Service and support
- Optional service upgrades (country-specific) are available through Lenovo Services offerings: technician-installed parts; 4-hour or 2-hour response time; warranty extension up to 5 years; post-warranty extensions; Your Drive Your Data and Preferred Access (Priority support)
- Height: 430 mm (16.9 in.); width: 173 mm (6.8 in.); depth: 566 mm (22.3 in.)
- Minimum: 18.0 kg (39.7 lb.); maximum: 26.5 kg (57.3 lb.)