Unpredictability has met its match.
Pros who spend time behind a super-telephoto lens know a hard truth: when you need a teleconverter, you often need it in a hurry. For these moments, Nikon proudly introduces the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, a super-telephoto zoom lens with a built-in 1.4X teleconverter. Capture sports, events and wildlife in lifelike brilliance from 180-400mm, then, without breaking shooting posture, engage the integrated teleconverter and increase your reach to 560mm f/5.6 (840mm equivalent on a DX body). Incorporating remarkable advancements in optical design, autofocus performance, Vibration Reduction and durability, this lens is bound to become the new standard for serious field photographers.
A NIKKOR Gold Series super-telephoto zoom lens unlike any before it
Combining Nikon's first ever built-in 1.4X teleconverter with a new optical design, advanced lens technologies and comprehensive weather sealing, the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR can help pros shooting sports, wildlife and events perform at their absolute best.
A powerhouse for sports, events and wildlife
Harness speed, consistency, low-light performance and image quality across a versatile 180-400mm focal length range with a constant f/4 maximum aperture. Activate the integrated 1.4X teleconverter and increase reach to 560mm at f/5.6.
Capture amazing images in nearly any light, thanks to an advanced optical design that includes 8 Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass elements, 1 Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat for maximum sharpness and minimal distortion.
Nikon's first built-in teleconverter
When you're in the field, adding a teleconverter to a large lens can be a tense operation, especially when dust or moisture is present. With the AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR, its as easy as flicking a switch.
Reach when you need it
Engage the 1.4X teleconverter and increase focal length to 560mm, f/5.6. On a DX camera like the ultra-fast D500, this is an 840mm equivalent angle of view.
Never break posture
The teleconverter switch can be comfortably operated by most using a right-hand finger without releasing the camera grip or taking an eye off the viewfinder.
Since it's integrated into the lens, the teleconverter maximizes light transmission to the sensor with very little falloff for tack-sharp images.
Blazing fast acquisition, locked-on tracking
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR draws peak performance from the 153-point AF system in recent Nikon DSLRs like the D5, D850 and D500. The sensors at the outer areas of the frame can be used as cross-type sensors, drastically improving acquisition speed when a subject enters the frame. Enhanced servo drive control and higher-speed inversion of the Silent Wave Motor (SWM) improves tracking, even with subjects that radically change speed or direction.
Redesigned tripod collar
Smaller, lighter and more comfortable for handheld shooting and transport, the tripod collar also has ball-bearing smoothness for switching between horizontal and landscape shooting.
Assignable Function buttons
Activate AF/AE Lock, switch between AF Area Modes and more using the conveniently positioned assignable Function buttons.
Lightweight and durable
At 3,500 grams, it's lighter than comparable lenses on the market thanks to a Fluorite lens element, magnesium alloy lens barrel and Internal Focusing (IF) design.
Ready for tough assignments
You can't chase sports, events and wildlife without getting a little dirt on your hands. The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR is built for the field with advanced dust and moisture sealing on all moveable parts, a rugged magnesium alloy lens barrel and protective front meniscus.
Vibration Reduction, evolved
The AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR incorporates Nikon's latest Vibration Reduction (VR) design for up to 4 stops of shutter speed increase, even when using the built-in teleconverter. This new VR system starts up immediately after powering on the camera, and it includes three shooting modes, including one for sports and fast action and one specifically for tripod shooting.
- Professional super-telephoto zoom with Nikon's first built-in selectable 1.4X teleconverter
- Advanced optical design with 8 ED glass elements, a Fluorite element and Nano Crystal Coat produces unwavering image quality
- Blazing fast subject acquisition and locked-on tracking, especially when used with Nikon's 153-point AF system
- Lightweight, durable construction with advanced weather sealing, internal focus and Nikon's nonstick Fluorine coating
- Next-generation Vibration Reduction (VR) system that starts immediately and includes three shooting modes
- Mount Type - Type E AF-S lens with built-in CPU and F mount (1.4x Teleconverter built-in)
- Focal Length Range - 180 - 400 mm, With built-in TC 252-560 mm
- Zoom Ratio - 2.2 x
- Maximum Aperture - f/ 4
- With built-in TC - f/5.6
- Minimum Aperture - f/32
- With built-in TC - f/45
- Format - FX/35mm
- Maximum Angle of View (DX-format) - 9 degrees
- Minimum Angle of View (DX-format) - 4 degrees
- Maximum Angle of View (DX-format) with built-in Teleconverter - 6 degrees 20'
- Minimum Angle of View (DX-format) with built-in Teleconverter - degrees 50'
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format) - 13 degrees 40'
- Minimum Angle of View (FX-format) - 6 degrees 10'
- Maximum Angle of View (FX-format) with built-in Teleconverter - 9 degrees 50'
- Minimum Angle of View (FX-format) with built-in Teleconverter - 4 degrees 30'
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio - 0.25x (at 400 mm); 0.36x (at 560 mm)
- Lens Elements - 27
- Built-in Teleconverter Lens Elements - 8
- Lens Groups - 19
- Built-in Teleconverter Lens Groups - 5
- Compatible Format(s) - FX, DX
- VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization - Yes
- Diaphragm Blades - 9
- Distance Information - Yes
- Nano Crystal Coat - Yes
- ED Glass Elements - 8
- Fluorite Elements - 1
- Fluorine Coat - Yes
- Super Integrated Coating - Yes
- Autofocus - Yes
- AF-S (Silent Wave Motor) - Yes
- Internal Focusing - Yes
- Minimum Focus Distance - 6.6 ft. (2.0 m) from focal plane
- Focus Modes - Manual, Manual/Auto, Auto/Manual
- E-type - Yes
- Filter Size - 40.5 mm
- Accepts Filter Type - Drop-in filter
- Compatible with Nikon AF-S Teleconverters - Yes (refer to the product manual for details)
- Approx. Dimensions (Diameter x Length) - 5.0 in. (128.0 mm) x 14.2 in. (362.5 mm) - Distance from camera lens mount flange - Based on CIPA Guidelines
- Approx. Weight - 123.4 oz. (3,500 g) - Based on CIPA Guidelines