This OPEN BOX product you are browsing has been inspected by our qualified technicians to ensure that it meets factory specifications and includes all factory packed accessories. It is guaranteed to be in perfect working order but it is sold in "AS IS" condition (for example: the box may be torn, there may be cosmetic scratches, etc). Returns will not be accepted unless the item is found to be defective.
What only a9 can do
This mechanism-free camera can deliver a-class-above performance conventional mechanical SLRs have only sought. For example, this system realizes a totally blackout-free viewfinder while conventional systems can only try to reduce blackout time. A high-speed, vibration-free, silent Anti-Distortion shutter vastly extends the range of shooting situations while a mechanical system can only aim for lower vibration and quieter shutter release sound. a9 provides continuous tracking of moving subjects for foolproof AF/AE while traditional SLRs can only challenge such AF/AE performance improvements. Moreover, a9 allows its viewfinder to show not only images of the subject - available on conventional systems - but also the final image of a shot. Now, thanks to a new image sensor that superbly manages all these roles, you can surpass all expectations with a9.
Note: This camera is equipped with electronic and mechanical shutters. The features described in this section are primarily related to electronic shutter operation.
Driving force for full-electronic revolution
a9 liberates you from the limits of conventional SLRs that rely on mechanical systems. First to use high-speed stacked design, its 24.2-megapixel full-frame image sensor temporarily stores large-volume data in the integral memory for overall 20 times faster readout speed. The combination of CMOS sensor and enhanced BIONZ X image-processing engine brings you true digital freedom.
High-speed continuous shooting at up to 20fps
Groundbreaking full-frame Exmor RS CMOS sensor and BIONZ X processor team up for 20fps continuous shooting with AF/AE tracking. Stunning high-speed performance and ample buffer let you capture the decisive moment.
Non-mechanical electronic shutter eliminates blackout with typical SLR mirror action. An uninterrupted view of the subject is available even during shutter release, with 60fps live-view capability and minimal display lag in continuous shooting.
Swift, accurate, and reliable AF
Discover enhanced AF - more precise, virtually unfailing focus, swift reaction to fast motion, low-light reliability, and consistent tracking in continuous shooting.
Beautiful 4K imaging
Full-pixel readout with no pixel binning makes it possible to condense approximately 2.4 times the amount of data required for 4K (the equivalent of the amount of data required for 6K) into 3840 x 2160 4K output. This oversampling process plus full-frame pixel readout without binning results in the highest possible 4K movie image quality.
Body-integrated 5-axis image stabilization
The body-integrated image stabilization system is fine-tuned to compensate accurately for 5-axis camera shake that can compromise handheld shooting. This gives you extremely high performance in both stills and movies, whether you're shooting at longer focal lengths, in close-ups, or at night. Camera shake compensation is equivalent to using a 5.0-stop faster shutter speed, allowing stable determination of composition at times of capturing subjects in high-speed motion.
One-touch remote & One-touch sharing
Use one-touch remote to turn a smartphone or tablet into a viewfinder/remote control. One-touch sharing transfers photos/videos to your device for social network site (SNS) sharing. Just install a PlayMemories Mobile app via Wi-Fi to your NFC-enabled Android device, and then touch the device to the camera to connect them. If you don't have NFC, use QR code compatibility to pair the devices.
- Lens Compatibility: Sony E-mount lenses
- Lens Mount: E-mount
- Aspect Ratio: 3 : 2
- Number of Pixels (Effective): Approx. 24.2 megapixels
- Number of Pixels (Total): Approx. 28.3 megapixels
- Type: 35mm full frame (35.6?23.8mm), Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Anti-Dust System: Charge protection coating on optical filter and image sensor shift mechanism
- Location Information Link from Smartphone: Yes
- Media: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, Memory Stick Micro(M2), SD memory card, SDHC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), SDXC memory card (UHS-I/II compliant), microSD memory card, microSDHC memory card, microSDXC memory card
- Memory Card Slot: SLOT1:Slot for SD(UHS-I/II compliant) memory card, SLOT2:Multi slot for Memory Stick Duo/SD(UHS-I compliant) memory card
- Recording Mode on 2 Memory Cards: Simult. Rec (Still), Simult. Rec (Movie), Simult. Rec (Still/Movie), Sort (JPEG/RAW), Sort (Still/Movie), Copy
- Focus Type: Fast Hybrid AF(phase-detection AF/contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensor: Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Focus Point: 35 mm full frame: 693 points (phase-detection AF), APS-C mode with FF lens: 299 points (phase-detection AF), with APS-C lens: 221 points (phase-detection AF) / 25 points (contrast-detection AF)
- Focus Sensitivity Range: EV-3 to EV 20 (ISO 100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Focus Mode: AF-S (Single-shot AF), AF-C ( Continuous AF), DMF (Direct Manual Focus), Manual Focus
- Focus Area: Wide (693 points (phase-detection AF), 25 points(contrast-detection AF)) / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L) /Expanded Flexible Spot/ Lock-on AF ( Wide / Zone / Center / Flexible Spot (S/M/L)/Expanded Flexible Spot)
- Other Features: Eye-start AF (only with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 attached(Sold separately)), Lock-on AF, Eye AF, AF micro adjustment, (Sold separately), with LA-EA2 or LA-EA4, Predictive control, Focus lock, AF Track Sens, Swt.V/H AF Area, AF Area Regist.
- AF Illuminator: Yes (with built-in LED type)
- AF Illuminator Range: Approx. 0.3 m - approx. 3.0 m (with FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS attached)
- Focus Type with LA-EA3 (Sold Seperately): selectable (phase-detection, contrast-detection)
- Metering Type: 1200-zone evaluative metering
- Metering Sensor: Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Metering Sensitivity: EV -3 to EV 20 (at ISO100 equivalent with F2.0 lens attached)
- Metering Mode: Multi-segment, Center-weighted, Spot, Spot Standard/Large, Entire Screen Avg., Highlight
- Exposure Compensation: +/- 5.0EV(1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps selectable), (with exposure compensation dial: +/- 3EV (1/3 EV steps))
- Exposure Bracketing: Bracket: Cont., Bracket: Single, 3/5/9 frames selectable. With 3 or 5 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1.0, 2.0, or 3.0 EV increments, with 9 frames, in 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, or 1.0 EV increments.
- AE Lock: Locked when shutter button is pressed halfway. Available with AE lock button. (On/Off/Auto)
- Exposure Modes: AUTO(iAuto), Programmed AE (P), Aperture priority (A), Shutter-speed priority (S), Manual (M), Movie (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) ), Slow & Quick Motion (Programmed AE (P) / Aperture priority (A) / Shutter-speed priority (S) / Manual (M) )
- ISO Sensitivity (Recommended Exposure Index): [Still images] Mechanical Shutter: ISO 100-51200 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 to ISO 204800 can be set as expanded ISO range), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), Electronic Shutter: ISO 100-25600 (ISO numbers up from ISO 50 can be set as expanded ISO range), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit), [Movies] ISO 100-51200 equivalent (ISO numbers up to ISO 102400 can be set as expanded ISO range), AUTO (ISO 100-6400, selectable lower limit and upper limit)
- Viewfinder Type: 1.3 cm (0.5 type) electronic viewfinder (color),Quad-VGA OLED
- Number of Dots: 3 686 400 dots
- Brightness Control (Viewfinder): Auto/Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2)
- Color Temperature Control: Manual (5 steps)
- Field Coverage: 100%
- Magnification: approx. 0.78 x (with 50 mm lens at infinity, -1m-1)
- Diopter Adjustment: -4.0 to +3.0m-1
- Eye Point: Approx. 23 mm from the eyepiece lens, 18.5 mm from the eyepiece frame at -1m-1 (CIPA standard)
- Finder Frame Rate Selection: STD 60fps / HI 120fps
- Display Contents: Digital Level Gauge, Display All Info, For viewfinder, Graphic Display, Histogram, No Disp. Info
- Type: 2.95 inch (3.0-type) wide type TFT
- Number of Dots: 1,440,000 dots
- Touch Panel: Yes
- Brightness Control: Manual (5 steps between -2 and +2), Sunny Weather mode
- Adjustable Angle: Up by approx. 107 degrees, Down by approx. 41 degrees
- Display Selector (Finder/LCD): Yes (Auto/Manual)
- Real-Time Image Adjustment Display (LCD): On/Off
- Type: Electronically controlled, vertical-traverse, focal-plane type
- Shutter Type: Auto/Mechanical shutter/Electronic shutter
- Shutter Speed: [Still images, Single shot], Mechanical Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec, Bulb, AUTO: 1/32000 to 30 sec, Bulb, Electronic Shutter: 1/32000 to 30 sec, [Still images, Continuous shooting], Mechanical Shutter:1/8000 to 30 sec, AUTO: 1/32000
- Flash Speed Sync: 1/250 sec.
- Electronic Front Curtain Shutter: Yes (ON/OFF)
- Silent Shooting: Yes(Electronic Shutter)
- PC Interface: Mass-storage, MTP, PC remote
- Multi/Micro USB Terminal: Yes
- NFC: Yes (NFC forum Type 3 Tag compatible), One-touch remote, One-touch sharing
- Wireless LAN (Built-in): Wi-Fi Compatible, IEEE 802.11b/g/n(2.4GHz band), View on Smartphone: Yes, Send to Computer: Yes, View on TV: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes (Bluetooth Standard Ver. 4.1 (2.4 GHz band))
- HD Output: HDMI micro connector (Type-D), BRAVIA Sync(Control for HDMI), PhotoTV HD, 4K movie output/4K still image PB
- Multi Interface Shoe: Yes
- Supplied Battery: One rechargeable battery pack NP-FZ100
- Battery Life (Still Images): Approx. 480 shots (Viewfinder) / approx. 650 shots (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, Actual Recording): Approx. 105 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 120 min (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Battery Life (Movie, Continuous Recording): Approx. 185 min (Viewfinder) / Approx. 195 min (LCD monitor) (CIPA standard)
- Internal Battery Charge: Yes
- Power Consumption with Viewfinder: Still images: approx. 4.1W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx5.3W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- Power Consumption with LCD Screen: Still images: approx. 3.0W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached), Movies: approx5.0W(with FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens attached)
- USB Power Supply: Yes
Size & Weight
- Weight (with Battery and Memory Card Included): Approx. 673 g / approx. 1 lb 7.7 oz
- Dimensions (W x H x D): Approx. 126.9mm x 95.6mm x 63.0mm/Approx. 5 x 3 7/8 x 2 1/2 inches